F1 2020 F1 2020 | Any Additional 'Replacement' Tracks Won't Be Included In New Game

F1 2020 The Game (Codemasters)

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Codemasters F1 2020 game director, Lee Mather has confirmed the studio have no intention of including any new for 2020 replacement circuits in the upcoming F1 game.

As we are all now more than aware, the ongoing world health situation has played havoc with the yet to begin new Formula One season. As various travel restrictions continue to blight Liberty Media and the FIA in their plan to salvage whatever then can from the year ahead, it is looking increasingly likely that Formula One 2020 style could feature at least a couple of tracks not originally on the published pre-season schedule.

With many circuits falling by the wayside, the need to ensure Formula One retains a healthy number of events this year has led to speculation that venues such as Hockenheim, Portimao, Mugello and potentially even Imola could be set to appear on the calendar, but according to Codemasters, these tracks aren't going to be included in the upcoming F1 2020 videogame.

Speaking during an interview with GP Blog, Codemasters F1 Game Director Lee Mather had the following to say:

"Circuits are the most time intense element of the development, with each circuit taking the time equivalent of 1 year of development to create. Along with building the circuits, there’s also the AI to train, the camera placement to set-up."
"F1 2020 is based on the original 2020 season and we are delighted to include Hanoi Circuit and Circuit Zandvoort. Unfortunately it is not possible to add new circuits to the revised 2020 season".

Pretty disappointing news considering the sim racing community can often put together scratch built circuits at an equal or higher quality than those within the F1 games, in a much shorter timescale and without the resources available to a developer such as Codemasters.

Original Source: GP Blog

F1 2020 is set to release on July 7th for PS4, Xbox One, PC and Google Stadia.

Got questions about the game? Start a new thread at the RaceDepartment F1 2020 sub forum here at RaceDepartment, and let the community help you out!

F1 2020 footer.jpg

What has been forgotten by most is Codemasters rarely put time into updating tracks anyway, from 2016 to 2019 there are only about 2 tracks I can recall which have been altered in an obvious way, both of them were mode longer to produce more realistic lap times. Spa (kemmel straight is longer and they finally added curbing to the inside of the first part of Pouhon) and Albert Park (distance between T5 and T6 is longer, as is the straight leading up to T9-10.) While there is one maybe two others I am forgetting that is all they have done in the track department aside from change the odd adboard, something modders do each year.

Code"masters" honestly don't put time and care into their tracks to begin with, spend most of their time on modelling the cars and picking which terrible filter to run each year. While I'm quite annoyed at the decision, it is nothing unexpected from a company which has been one of the laziest for the past 2 decades.

Call me a dick in a room full of pussies but I am glad they are being exposed for the sham they are. All I hear all day every day is support developers, buy the game anyway, if you don't like it play something else. For the record, I have no problem with people who do that, but they have a big problem with me.

It's not that hard to produce a model of clarity and stick to it. In other words, if you say you are an arcade game that is only interested in cosmetic updates every year, and requires 22 patches, then get the cosmetic updates right and nothing else.

If you say you are a sim that gets the physics right, then release one good engine every 3 years and only DLC the cosmetic updates with no patches.

I have no problem with the game being **** in both departments. However, they seem to have a problem with me saying that it is **** at replicating F1 at 100%, and it is **** at updating yearly content on time. So the fact it calls itself an F1 official game 20xx when it does nothing to represent official cars cornering in cockpit mode or adapt to the yearly changes makes it insulting to advertise and release titles to an F1 fan.

Also the fact they resort to half-baked legendary content instead of taking the opportunity to release something like F1 19xx shows there is no initiative or care.

And actually a 20xx career title where you are stuck in the pit at Australia, have to wait months, and then do two races at Austria with no fans would be legendary.

No, they are all very kind. I am sure they will all get everything right on time and everything will be amazing. Don't be scared because there ain't nothing to worry about. Let your hair down.

I wonder why the sponsors are happy with a track such as Spa in the F1 games. That track is an abomination to what is possible with today's standards. (Unless they have a several year contract with the track for it to be used in its current state).

I just don't get it. (Unless they can't get contracts as the track owners have seen what horrible job Codemasters can do with building Spa for example )
They don't want to spend the money to get the additional licenses for the new tracks. It's all about the money. That's what it always comes down to.

Call me a dick in a room full of pussies but I am glad they are being exposed for the sham they are. All I hear all day every day is support developers, buy the game anyway, if you don't like it play something else. For the record, I have no problem with people who do that, but they have a big problem with me.

It's not that hard to produce a model of clarity and stick to it. In other words, if you say you are an arcade game that is only interested in cosmetic updates every year, and requires 22 patches, then get the cosmetic updates right and nothing else.

If you say you are a sim that gets the physics right, then release one good engine every 3 years and only DLC the cosmetic updates with no patches.

I have no problem with the game being **** in both departments. However, they seem to have a problem with me saying that it is **** at replicating F1 at 100%, and it is **** at updating yearly content on time. So the fact it calls itself an F1 official game 20xx when it does nothing to represent official cars cornering in cockpit mode or adapt to the yearly changes makes it insulting to advertise and release titles to an F1 fan.

Also the fact they resort to half-baked legendary content instead of taking the opportunity to release something like F1 19xx shows there is no initiative or care.

And actually a 20xx career title where you are stuck in the pit at Australia, have to wait months, and then do two races at Austria with no fans would be legendary.

No, they are all very kind. I am sure they will all get everything right on time and everything will be amazing. Don't be scared because there ain't nothing to worry about. Let your hair down.
1.) Agree with you that you shouldn't buy it if you are angry with them about the content they put out.
2.) This is not a sim, that's for sure. Formula 1 is way too secretive for them to get it right.
3.) If they can't add mouse support for their PC version, that surely show them to be lazy or cheap.
4.) If they can't add tracks that they have done from past games that have fallen off the calendar, it can't be that much work to update them to the current format. They must be lazy or cheap.

I could rant on some more, but that's probably enough.

One thing in defense of Codemaster is that they must be paying a fortune for the the rights to the formula one game. Hence their cheapness.

To add some of those tracks should not be that hard, because they are pretty much added to any sim. It also will help to make those tracks more popular (great advertising) 2020 = 2020 season. It's not how it is right now. It's just extra hours and money they did not plan. It's not their original economic strategy. That just is with a company like Codemasters. Milking the cow. I just say that, because they use the same engine for ages and new titles are pretty much the same.

I would say to Codemasters. Get a DLC in, with the updated current 2020 season.

People that socialize are simply irresponsible to the point of being culpable

They think their daily lives and routine are more important then the hundreds of thousands have died

Shame on them all
1.) Agree with you that you shouldn't buy it if you are angry with them about the content they put out.
2.) This is not a sim, that's for sure. Formula 1 is way too secretive for them to get it right.
3.) If they can't add mouse support for their PC version, that surely show them to be lazy or cheap.
4.) If they can't add tracks that they have done from past games that have fallen off the calendar, it can't be that much work to update them to the current format. They must be lazy or cheap.

I could rant on some more, but that's probably enough.

One thing in defense of Codemaster is that they must be paying a fortune for the the rights to the formula one game. Hence their cheapness.

It was great when there was finally a game or two after no game for so long. And it is decent that you can always pick one up if you want to drop back in for a season.

But in general, yeah, not worth it imo.

if they were to go through and license these tracks. its at an unknown price that that track owners deem their worth to f1 (we can guess it would cost a fair bit)

then it needs to be made, the wages of all the art staff and some of the coding staff, not just having to make the tracks, but it'll then be months of beta testing to make sure game logic and AI even works
and talking to a developer of another similar game, contract talks can take over 6 months and its owned by a company more ingrained in IRL Motorsports than codemasters

it'll take to the end of the year and that time isn't being spent on next years game.
they they'll need that money back so it'll need to be DLC and i dont think people are interested in that.

theres also the initial contract which codemasters signed with f.... we have absolutely no idea whats even in it, and never will. we can only speculate that its based on other commercial contracts before the season even starts

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 344 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 236 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 232 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 175 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 296 13.4%