F1 2020 F1 2020 | A Guide To ERS Management

F1 2020 The Game (Codemasters)

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
With the new Formula One game including ERS features just like in real life, Codemasters have dropped an interesting new video that gives players a lesson on how best use the functionality out on the track.
  • F1 2020 ERS Guide Trailer.
  • New game available now on console and PC.
F1 2020 | RaceDepartment review the new game | Click Here.

Formula One 2020 has been out for a little while now, having first deployed to both PC and console back on July 7th, and since then Codemasters have remained hard at work concentrating on the further development and improvement of the title, with a number of small hotfix updates having been released in the following weeks.

F1 2020 3.jpg

With the game simulating the 2020 Formula One season (well, pre Covid season anyway), one of the gameplay mechanics that feature heavily within the title is the use of ERS, something that may not be completely familiar to all players, hence the decision by Codies to release a new player guide on how to get the most out of these feature within the new game.

You can check out the new ERS Management video from Codemasters below:

I will openly admit I've been surprised about just how good F1 2020 really is, and I continue to enjoy the game when I'm looking for some open wheel action outside of my usual GT / Touring Car racing. With Codemasters seemingly keen to keep developing the title, and the 2020 FIA F2 series set to be added as a free update later on in the year, the game certainly has plenty of left in it for the foreseeable future...

F1 2020 is out now for both console and PC.

Want help making the most from the simulation? Tap into our wonderful community here at RaceDepartment, and start a thread in the F1 2020 sub forum today!

F1 2020 ERS Trailer Footer.jpg

Last edited:
I will openly admit I've been surprised about just how good F1 2020 really is
I agree, this game has a lot to offer and is the first F1 game since F1 Challenge 99-02, that really hooks me driving and immersion wise. (I already found 2019 to be pretty nice, but driving was a tiny bit too strange)

Sometimes i would wish a hold Overtake, additionally to the toggle function, but it has quite some depth, even with some "simplyfied" approach. (that is actually somewhat more realistic)

It’s a shame in 2020 that on the PC version the mouse is not implemented in the UI.
The physics are improved but still the lack of genuine FFB feeling is missing.
Optimization, graphics, career, myteam etc. are really good.
Waiting patiently for KS to take over the licence.;)

My favorite developer for an F1 game actually wouldn't be KS but rather Reiza. AMS2s' open-wheeler are amazing.

Very interesting guide, nicely explained.
I did try F1 2020 in Vr and I now understand why they have not officially supported Vr , it’s only when you drive virtually you see how poor the tracks are , they really need to laser scan tracks for there future games .
Also the Physics of the game are a lot better than I expected .

Last edited:
I'm running the standard T300 setup but I can't change the actual mode. It's always stuck in overtake for me. I scroll all the way down to change the mode and it just goes back up to the top, has this been changed in an update since I last played? Because what I'm getting game play wise doesn't jive with what I'm seeing on that gameplay video!

Very interesting guide, nicely explained.
I did try F1 2020 in Vr and I now understand why they have not officially supported Vr , it’s only when you drive virtually you see how poor the tracks are , they really need to laser scan tracks for there future games .
Also the Physics of the game are a lot better than I expected .
I believe they said Zandvoort was laser scanned since it was a new track but don't quote me. Maybe try it in VR if you haven't already?

I hope there will be real indicator lights on the steering wheel. When DRS is turned on, the lights in the DRS area will be prompted, and the lights in overtaking mode will be prompted. It is good to be real, and it will be done according to the actual fleet

There are many problems in the game, Ferrari's steering wheel is on the high side, the proportion of Williams' display screen is not too small, and the indicator light of the steering wheel in the galloping circle and championship mode is different! I hope to solve this problem transparently

My favorite developer for an F1 game actually wouldn't be KS but rather Reiza. AMS2s' open-wheeler are amazing.

I want to support the indie guys, but I'd rather have F1 exactly as it is than have a joke or a career mode like in ACC (and that's about what we can expect from KS), or worse, no career like in AMS/AMS2. With the RPG team development, contracts, test programs, its at least very immersive. People overlook the stuff it does very well.

Don't laugh at my playtime numbers (not on my PC all the time), but this is illustrative for how much I appreciate the series: PC 217, PC2 197 AMS (online leagues) 124, F1 2018 105, AC 78, rF2 40, SCE 35, ACC 35 (uninstalled).

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 92 18.9%
  • €151-500

Votes: 128 26.3%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 85 17.5%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 43 8.8%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 49 10.1%
  • €3001-5000