F1 2019 F1 2019 Review: Incrementally Better in (Almost) Every Way

F1 2019 The Game (Codemasters)

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
F1 2019 Review 2.jpg

F1 2019 by Codemasters is an evolution rather than a revolution in the series – with some surprising twists.

Having entered the yearly race to design, develop, market and sell a brand new officially licenced Formula One game every 12 months, you can perhaps be forgiven for thinking that the F1 franchise would fall firmly into the FIFA mould of rinse and repeat – and to a large extent that has been the case with Codemasters since the franchise began all the way back in 2010.

Previous games had their ups and downs over the years, with many arguing that the incremental improvements to the franchise started to reach a bit of a plateau around the 2016 season edition – however in F1 2019, Codemasters have worked a little bit of magic to maximise their long experience within the game development industry – taking a bit longer over the development lifecycle in the new title, two years to be precise, despite an earlier than usual release window..

F1 2019: First Look Gameplay & Impressions - Video HERE

Before we begin looking a little closer at F1 2019, let me state my own position about my racing preferences. I am what you would consider a ‘hard-core’ sim racer – i.e. the more realistic the simulation, the happier I am.

As such, offline career modes, cut scenes and artificial contract negotiations are something I firmly believe just serves to get in the way of the important bit – the track action.

Let us be honest here, no one is claiming F1 2019 will be a detailed racing simulation – the franchise is afterall designed to appeal to as wide of an audience as possible. However, I feel more than ever that Codemasters have hit upon a golden piece of the racing game marketplace, a nice mix of accessible yet realistic. This will be important for future sales, as F1 2019 feels like the sort of game that with the correct options selected, could be just as enjoyable for the casual gamer as it is for someone who is looking for a more detailed experience, like me.

F1 2019 Review 1.jpg

Firstly, let us start with the graphical updates in the new title….

Codemasters have always churned out a visually pleasing game with the F1 series, and for 2019 they claim to have spent plenty of time and resource on upgrading the lighting system within F1 2019 – to spectacular effect.

Before picking up the new title I firmly believed graphics in F1 2018 were good, however once sampling the new release on PC with high settings, I’m startled to realise that F1 2019 is visually much richer and more detailed in almost every aspect – but on my system at least, without much in the way of a performance hit. Score one for Codemasters.

No Mice Here

In 2019, on a mainstream PC game, to have no mouse support is pretty much unheard of. However, and despite the mouse curser making an appearance in fellow Codemasters game DiRT 2.0, navigation of the game UI and in game options is once again restricted to the keyboard - a significant disappointment, and something that goes a long way to making F1 2019 more difficult to enjoy than it really should be.

To make matters worse, Codemasters have continued to follow the tradition of assigning seemingly random numbers to keys on your wheel or button box. Want to know what frustration is? When the game asks you to press button "9" to do something. Which one is button 9? Hmmm.

That said, this "feature" is certainly less of a frustration than the previous version of the game, and the UI has noticeably improved from 2018, which are positives.

Audio.

F1 2019: Gameplay (pure sounds) video HERE

Audio in the new title is again rather solid considering the awful material they have to work with (did I ever tell you I’m no fan of the hybrid turbo era..?). The engine note is pleasingly similar to that of the real world series, and when watching replay footage of your track adventures give an opportunity for the graphics and audio to combine and produce a most impressive and immersive experience.

However, and this came to my attention late in the review process, much like a scratch on your car or that first prominent grey hair, once you see it you can’t miss it anymore, I’m getting a little annoyed about the FIFA style crowd cheering on various circuits – hearing the fans roar in near miss goal fashion when nothing of interest is happening out on circuit is gets a little grating after a while. Irritant as it is, these effects are likely to be adjustable and can be toned down in the game audio settings.

While speaking of audio, F1 2019 is notable for having F2 cars included in the base content for the first time, and the engine sounds on these are just lovely – Codemasters really capture the unique noise of a Formula 2 car in all of its glory here – or perhaps I’m just hankering for a return to loud and proud racing engines in my open wheel formula fix?

Sadly the same can’t be said of the historic content, which for this player at least appears to be once again a very disappointing stab at recreating some of these iconic beasts. Feels like a bit of copy & paste from the last game here, further adding to the feeling that historic content in the F1 game franchise is more of an afterthought than a serious stab at expanding base content within the title.

Formula 2.

F1 2019: Formula 2 First Impressions – Video HERE.

Here Codemasters have pulled a blinder, adding the popular Formula One support series into the game has really lifted the playing life and depth of F1 2019. The series that comes at launch will be 2018, a year where the top three championship finishers all progressed to Formula One for the new season, but Codies have promised a free update to add the 2019 cars and liveries later in the year – awesome.

The cars of F2 drive very differently that their Formula One big brothers, offering a much more raw and mechanical experience for the player. Longer braking distances, a more lively rear, heavier steering and a field of cars identical in all but livery and setup, the F2 content in F1 2019 is, for me at least, the shining success story of the new title, and practically worth the price of admission alone.

In F2, players can race the full FIA Formula 2 season, single player mode where you pick the track, and even race on the F1 tracks that don't appear on the Formula 2 calendar. Honestly, F2 is the standout pleasure from this game, in my opinion.

F1 2019 Review 7.jpg

Career Mode.

With F2 comes the opportunity for Codemasters to expand their career mode in F1 2019, starting you out in F2 with three ‘scenario’ races where you need to complete some objectives and interact with your teammate and rivals, either via cut scene interviews with the media, or in various situations away from the track that are dictated by your performances in the ‘scenario’ races.

Frankly I was underwhelmed by the idea when it was first announced by Codemasters, but having played my way through the process, I actually think the team have made a very clever link with F1 here, and I came away impressed with how Codemasters managed to filter in the F2 content, without having to let the player grind through races that might otherwise not have wished to compete in.

F1 2019: Career Mode Walkthrough – Video HERE.

I appreciate that these sort of ‘canned’ scenarios aren’t always everyone’s cup of tea – mine included – but the way Codemasters have positioned the Formula 2 content, and how they manage to introduce your two new rivals, isn’t badly done at all… a very solid attempt to implement content and features that could otherwise have felt somewhat wooden in the overall scheme of the game. Job well done.

F1 2019 Review 3.jpg

Speaking of rivals, that leads us nicely onto another new feature within F1 2019… driver swaps…

Now I’ve not played career mode long enough to experience this myself, but according to Codemasters they have managed to negotiate what was once thought impossible… the ability to have the AI real world drivers swap teams either mid-year or during the winter ‘off season’ – meaning it isn’t beyond the wildest possibility to see Max Verstappen finally make the move to Ferrari within your offline career – a great piece of news, and something that has often been considered lacking in previous F1 career modes.

As mentioned, I haven’t experienced this for myself, but some reports are circulating that this feature isn’t quite as grand as one would of hoped, with some players stating that AI driver moves have occasionally been a little bizarre – with drivers you wouldn’t expect inexplicably moving down the order to unfancied teams… time will tell exactly how well this pans out over the life of the game.

Another notable topic is the addition of the two F2 'rivals' you meet in the lower tier series. One a heated on track rival, the other your affable F2 team mate. When completing the F2 'scenarios' prior to starting your new Grand Prix career, both of these rival drivers will follow you to Formula One, replacing one of the real world drivers in each team - but not giving you the opportunity to choose which one. Not a disaster, and potentially a nice touch for those that like playing out a longer term career, but could be annoying for those who's favourite F1 driver gets kicked from the series before it even begins!

F1 2019 Review 4.jpg

Physics / Force Feedback

The topic most people will be keenest to hear about is almost certainly how the physics and force feedback in F1 2019 have changed since the previous release.

In our F1 2018 review, I suggested that I was reasonably impressed with how the FFB behaved compared to previous games. The same would have to be said of the new release. Although not revolutionary by any stretch of the imagination, and certainly not on the level of high performing simulation games like rFactor 2, the FFB in F1 2019 is nevertheless very serviceable and gives a solid if not spectacular feel of what the car is doing in game.

Still suffering from the now traditional feeling of over dampening that has been typical of the series to date, I could at least tell that the feelings transferred to my wheel had a slightly more natural feeling than was once the case in previous games, with much work having apparently gone into the wheel feeling to enable a significant increase in the way the car presents understeer to the player.

When considering FFB feeling, one has to recognise this is a Formula One car – something with big tyres and high downforce, so we are never going to get a wild ride behind the wheel. However, I still think Codemasters have a way to go in order to translate the rear traction loss in the game in a more natural and believable way. These cars are super grippy in corners, but once they start to go, it feels like the messages delivered to the wheel are just too late to allow me to do anything useful about it…

Better than F1 2018? Absolutely. On par with the best? Not quite yet, but still very much useable and not overly distracting from the main gameplay.

Conclusion.

The F1 series by Codemasters is forever in a difficult position. Wanting to appeal to a wide range of audiences while at the same time staying authentic to the most popular racing series on Earth is a difficult ask. Especially with such a large pool of potential fans always happy to weigh in with their opinions on the game.

That said, Codemasters should be commended for their continual improvements to the series over the last years, even if it could be argued that some of these feature and gameplay improvements could have joined the franchise earlier than they ended up seeing the light of day.

Visually F1 2019 is by far superior in every aspect, further pushing the game engine and really giving players an impressive (and pretty performance friendly) treat. The physics / FFB seem to be a step in the right direction, and with new F2 and online multiplayer cars and customisation thrown into the mix, plus the AI driver swaps, a lot of new and much valued content and feature improvements have come the way of this new title.

Not a revolution in terms of change, but a case of taking what was good from previous instalments and building a much bigger, better and more solid baseline.

I think it fair to say, as I do in the title of this piece, F1 2019 feels incrementally better in almost every way over its predecessors, and I’ll be honest – despite not being a ‘hard core’ sim, I’ve had a blast with it.

F1 2019 Review 6.jpg
F1 2019 Review 5.jpg

F1 2019 is available now on Xbox One, PS4 and PC.

For the latest F1 2019 news, head over to the F1 2019 sub forum here at RaceDepartment - a great place to chat about the game, engage with your fellow F1 fans and even browse our growing F1 2019 modding forum.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Meanwhile, Billy Strange refunded the game (and has a 30 minute video about it for anyone interested).

Not trying to be needlessly negative, just pointing out that the game is obviously a somewhat controversial topic.

For myself, as someone who doesn't really care about F1, just the fact it still doesn't have a virtual mirror is enough to maybe get the game when it's on a reasonable sale. Racing the AI without a virtual mirror (with cars that only somewhat make sense to me when it comes to handling) is just too frustrating to be interested. And I bet there's no soft lock still either (though this issue has at leas been somewhat lessened thanks to SimHub).

But the graphics does look really nice, even if I think they're going a bit over the top with the volumetric lighting.

Speaking of rivals, that leads us nicely onto another new feature within F1 2019… driver swaps…

This feature was on top of my wishlist. But they implemented it in a such a faulty way that a driver leading the championship may swap to a slower car mid-season. I wish they could make it more logical, and thus perfect.

An extremely comprehensive and detailed review. Not a single point is untouched. Thanks!

Thanks Paul a high quality and fair review once again.

we've been enjoying F1 2019 for a few days now, I thought it would be too much a repeat of 18 but the excellent reviews that appeared convinced me to pick it up.

A few additional things we've noticed:

+ The AI put up a much better/fairer fight. They seem cleverer in the use of ERS to defend.

+ Online racing performance seems much better, there is less lag - most of the time - and closer clean racing has been possible so far. Of course, it may just be the more experienced players have been playing during 3-day early access and that might all change today.

+ Wet weather is even more tricky than it was in 18. In wet conditions, the wheel FFB and car feedback feel as good as ACC to me. I also appreciate the wheel setup really is plug and play. For the TX458 wheel the default setup is more than good enough to just jump in and play.

+ Match the AI difficulty to player ability and it does give a thrilling season of close races throughout.

+/- I find the cars slightly easier to catch in a slide but you didn't so maybe that's just the Tx wheel and personal preference.

+ Being able to sim through the test sessions keeps the racing activity levels up.

On the downside:

- There are some huge lag moments when a new rival ghost loads in time trial.

- Players entering or leaving online race sessions causes the screen to stutter. Though balancing that the disconnect/reconnect to race feature works really well.

- Monaco can quickly become a slideshow if the graphics are turned up (where every other track works well). Make sure you've tried Monaco before you head online.

For my money it's easily the best racing game career to date. If you're looking for a detailed and engaging single player career experience against good AI it is utterly brilliant. If only ACC had a career mode even half as good - sigh - this really shows how poor the ACC career is (and I agree no need for cut scenes or interviews but an actual meaningful career mode, we need that). Time trail with friends is fun and online races are quick enough to drop into for a few races now and then. Looks like some good weekly content is on the way too.

Overall though we've found it to be an excellent racing game, easy to recommend for the racing.

It's more thrilling and engaging than current real F1 that's for sure!
Can I just ask - who is we?!

Meanwhile, Billy Strange refunded the game (and has a 30 minute video about it for anyone interested).

Not trying to be needlessly negative, just pointing out that the game is obviously a somewhat controversial topic.

For myself, as someone who doesn't really care about F1, just the fact it still doesn't have a virtual mirror is enough to maybe get the game when it's on a reasonable sale. Racing the AI without a virtual mirror (with cars that only somewhat make sense to me when it comes to handling) is just too frustrating to be interested. And I bet there's no soft lock still either (though this issue has at leas been somewhat lessened thanks to SimHub).

But the graphics does look really nice, even if I think they're going a bit over the top with the volumetric lighting.
The interesting thing is that a short while ago I would agree with the argument that Codemasters cannot make a game with simulation similar to that from the PC exclusives because then the gamepad players would not buy it.
But RF2 added like 4 free formula cars (3 F1 and the Tatuus) and they are all easier to drive than the Codemasters'. That's with a wheel. But they have to write different logic for gamepad axis acceleration anyway.
If you take RF1 retrogaming on steam its F1 car is utterly horrible to drive. But RF2 is nothing like that.
The only thing that could catch the player is the rear locking under brakes. But watching onboards Mercedes drivers need to change the brake migration and the bias every heavy braking zone. It's just two clicks. Not that different from the Codemasters quick menu.
Then I think Codemasters have zero arguments in their defense. Their simulation is not "for a larger audience". It's just lower quality because it is really hard to write good models and make good cars.

I must say after seeing all the youtubers rave about the new installment I am pretty disappointed. Other than the poorly executed F2 this is basically the same game as last year. I can't listen to the "sim" youtubers anymore, I get they want the game early and it probably makes for some huge viewing figures for a few weeks but it's getting a joke.

Still thoroughly enjoying my F2 championship season before I step up to F1. It's the best game yet of the series.

If you Love F1 you need this regardless of any perceived compromises it's much more fun that what's on your TV every fortnight.

P.S If your worried about mouse support use a controller in conjunction with your wheel, the game flips between the two seemlessly.

It was more to illustrate the absurdity of the logic of your statement the best I could think of at the moment. And yes, it was fairly obvious you have not understood the mouse support "controversy" if you suggested people should just use controller instead.

But nevermind. As stated, I just found your logic amusingly bizarre and just couldn't keep myself from making a comment.

It was more to illustrate the absurdity of the logic of your statement the best I could think of at the moment. And yes, it was fairly obvious you have not understood the mouse support "controversy" if you suggested people should just use controller instead.

But nevermind. As stated, I just found your logic amusingly bizarre and just couldn't keep myself from making a comment.

Ahh the joys of the internet. Apologies for not being your intellectual peer in understanding why mouse support is so important when you can just use another device to do the same job, on a game that is designed to appeal to a broad audience and work on a wide variety of platforms. :rolleyes:

(I honestly had no idea understanding the simple fact different people might have different needs/preferences and seeing the absurdity of recommending them a non-solution to their issue required any specific level of intellectual prowess, but I'll take your word for it. The joys of internet indeed :rolleyes:)

(I honestly had no idea understanding the simple fact different people might have different needs/preferences and seeing the absurdity of recommending them a non-solution to their issue required any specific level of intellectual prowess, but I'll take your word for it. The joys of internet indeed :rolleyes:)

Lets approach this from another perspective, have you played F1 2019? If so can you elaborate how no mouse support affected our abilty to enjoy the game?

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 102 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 142 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 268 27.3%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 394 40.1%