F1 2019 F1 2019: Lighting Improvement Preview Images...

F1 2019 The Game (Codemasters)

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
F1 Bahrain_18-19_COMP_01.jpg

Codemasters have released some interesting images that showcase the improvements to the lighting model coming to F1 2019.

Credit where credit is due, the Codemasters franchise of games have always been pretty strong in the graphical department, even going as far back as the original F1 2010 that kick started the series under Codies control some nine years ago.

However, having stated they took a full two years to develop and deliver the latest version of the long running series, it looks like Codemasters have been pretty hard at work improving the visual experience of the game.

Here we see some interesting back to back images of the upcoming F1 2019 against its predecessor, F1 2018. Using night locations as the theme for these images, you can see for yourself how the changes have improved the title considerably since the last game.

F1 Bahrain_18-19_COMP_02.jpg
F1 Bahrain_18-19_COMP_03.jpg
F1 Singapore_18-19_COMP_01.jpg

"Night lighting was one of our visual update priorities for F1® 2019" said Stuart Campbell, Art Director for F1 2019. "We took the atmospherics system that we introduced in F1 2018 for day time lighting, and further developed this for the night tracks.

We now have full atmospheric haze on night circuits, giving a true sense of depth. There’s a lot of dust in the air on those circuits and, at night, the particles really interact with the strong trackside lighting. The atmospherics help pull the whole scene together and give a greater sense of realism. We have added volumetric lighting to the trackside lighting, which results in the cones of light falling off from the light sources – another key factor in making night lighting look more realistic. Finally, we added night time specular. This was not present at all in previous games and made the night time scenes look rather flat, and the surface materials ambiguous.

The specular additions have made a huge improvement to the quality of the track materials at night. The extra surface information provided by this allows you to see all the surface details that were lost previously. The vehicle paint in particular looks amazing on the night circuits, and picks-up highlights from all those track-side light sources making it look incredibly close to TV footage of the sport itself."

F1 Singapore_18-19_COMP_02.jpg
F1 Singapore_18-19_COMP_03.jpg

With these visual enhancements, a revised force feedback model and the inclusion for Formula Two for the very first time, Codemasters certainly seem to be on the right track for a very solid release indeed.

F1 2019 is due to release on Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC June 2019.

Catch the latest news and discussion at the F1 2019 Sub Forum here at RaceDepartment - join in with your fellow community members and share some of the F1 2019 love!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Is it really technically a lighting improvement in the graphics engine or is it just essentially post-processing "sliders" being tuned?

I've seen similar things being done by just using programs like ENB, SweetFX, GemFX, ReShade, etc. (and also games' own post-processing like custom Asetto Corsa settings).

Last edited:
Ahh but does it include properly working HDR?

We have 1000nits monitors now available, so no excuse Codemasters, for titles (especially multi-platform titles) not to have this included.

Great lighting improvements, looks quite real. Call it "just more post processing" if you want, but it looks more real

But I can't get satisfaction out of the 2018 force feedback, I bought it due to high praise in RD forums, but I find myself racing Automobilista open wheelers or something in AC almost every time instead. When FFB and physics are on another level, the graphics become meaningless

The only thing I finally want to hear is more simulation related to the driving experience, as they did in Dirt Rally.
The graphic effects here are certainly not to criticize.

I love to see this fog (and the way the lights work at that condition) in those near the sea tracks at night under the lights, i always was like why the surrounding air is so clear at night in Bahrain/Singapore/Abu Dhabi? :D
Can't wait for career to make McLaren great again:p

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 101 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 141 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 266 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing