F1 2019 F1 2019 is FREE on Steam!

F1 2019 The Game (Codemasters)
Weird Menu, no mouse support???, it takes years to learn Menu, I wasn't able to test drive, created custom control settings, then nothing, cannot start driving, is this a joke or what? I think that in today's World Menu should be much easier to use, I won't pay anything about this crap...points 0 to 10, zero. Sorry. Thanks for trying it out for free.

Weird Menu, no mouse support???, it takes years to learn Menu, I wasn't able to test drive, created custom control settings, then nothing, cannot start driving, is this a joke or what? I think that in today's World Menu should be much easier to use, I won't pay anything about this crap...points 0 to 10, zero. Sorry. Thanks for trying it out for free.
Your first attempt at trying a Codemasters F1 game I gather...

I have mixed feelings on this game.
The last time I played one was 2016 and this is definitely better.
FFB is quite a turn off: pretty rattling on my T300, it gives me no infos whatsoever about grip and load transfer.
The driving is rewarding tho and makes me want keep driving because it's challenging, but never frustrating.
The graphics is AWESOME and it runs buttery smooth almost maxed out: everything on highest except vehicle reflection on lowest.
AI is decent, I still don't like that their lack of awareness when they come out of the pits and during race in general: I had a couple of flying laps aborted caused by this and a nasty crash because Vettel just punted into my back for no reason during braking.
Overall I liked, but I'm still not sure if it's worth the money, maybe I'll wait 2020.

I have mixed feelings on this game.
The last time I played one was 2016 and this is definitely better.
FFB is quite a turn off: pretty rattling on my T300, it gives me no infos whatsoever about grip and load transfer.
The driving is rewarding tho and makes me want keep driving because it's challenging, but never frustrating.
The graphics is AWESOME and it runs buttery smooth almost maxed out: everything on highest except vehicle reflection on lowest.
AI is decent, I still don't like that their lack of awareness when they come out of the pits and during race in general: I had a couple of flying laps aborted caused by this and a nasty crash because Vettel just punted into my back for no reason during braking.
Overall I liked, but I'm still not sure if it's worth the money, maybe I'll wait 2020.
Agreed. Every little thing that is wrong with it on its own doesn't seem significant, but when added together, it's pretty bad.

It's got very dead force feedback if you compare it to AC/ACC/rF2 and the more serious sims. Obviously I realise that we're not their target market, but it still has to be said. David Greco has raced on rFactor 2 a lot, so I'm sure it leaves a lot to be desired for himself as well, but he's only doing the handling, and even if he's involved in some way with the FFB, I assume this is not where his expertise would lie. In my opinion, it would almost qualify as "adequate" if the rest of the game was as good as it could be. It feels very "filtered" - the same way rFactor 2 feels if you use a very high Smoothing setting on FFB, which is always bad as a lot of detail gets lost that way.

Regarding the rest of the game, they come so close to nailing it, but they leave a lot to be desired. The graphics are great in night conditions, but in gloomy conditions it looks the same way F1 2013 did, very cartoonish and lifeless. Normal sunny day conditions look better than gloomy conditions, but also not as good as it could be.

AI - you have it pretty much spot on, including blue flags - nothing worse than doing a full outlap, only for an AI car to be dawdling on the apex of T1 and costing you 2 seconds straight away. And they do seem to go for gaps that seemingly don't exist. I guess Kvyat programmed this. Example of what you're referring to - he was behind me for about 5 laps, and I braked exactly the same way as before:

Other things that irk me, include:
- Career mode car development: 3 seasons and you're done. It's way too fast if it's the only game mode one plays. 2017 was slightly too slow and people asked for it to be sped up a bit, but people meant by about 5-10%. However, Codemasters made it at least 200% faster, which is unnecessary. 2017 was a lot closer to perfection than 2018/19.

- Career mode engine development: I've mentioned it before, but it's worth saying again, you are not supposed to have an engine stronger (or weaker, for that matter* - more on that below) than the factory team. I've seen career modes where someone driving a Ferrari gets passed by an Alfa Romeo like he's standing still because their Ferrari engine is 10% better - an impossibility in reality.

- *If you do an engine upgrade, it should not upgrade the current engines in your pool that you've already used, only the subsequent new ones. You can't modify an existing engine performance-wise - that breaks the FIA seal, which is against the rules. This is also the only way your engine can be different than the manufacturer's current spec, as in the previous point.

- Practice programs: They are very stale and tedious to do. I get that you can simulate them, but that also wears your components out more than if you do it yourself - I am the type that does every outlap and inlap manually because of this - and timing glitches in qualifying. I would much rather want to go out with a full tank of fuel, and let my team gather the data from my driving on 1 or 2 practice stints than having to go out 5 different times for each one - that's 5 outlaps and 5 inlaps that manually need to be done, and that's only if you nail them all the first time. Also, the race program should be a full tank, not 6 laps.

- Role play: This is just a half-arsed feature that means basically zero after the F2 intro part, which should be a full season (at least) within itself. After that, it's just 2 fake drivers with rubber banding included to boot. It adds nothing from an enjoyment perspective.

- AI car failures: Way too frequent, especially for specific drivers. For example, Tom97 has Gasly as his teammate during season 2/3 in his career mode, but he retires nearly every race whilst in the points, including the first race of the season. Meanwhile, the human driver can never get a component failure in the first race unless they drive like a real moron and stands next to the road in neutral at full throttle for an hour. It also ruins the immersion as your championship competitors will have a penalty at either of the final 2 races - if not both.

- Parc Ferme: You can change all of your components bar gearbox between qualifying and the race, and that somehow doesn't count as parc ferme infringements. :roflmao:

The good parts have been well-documented, and the base seems decent enough, it's just these little details that add up to pretty significant shortcomings.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 103 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 145 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 274 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 400 40.0%