F1 2019 F1 2019: F2 Won't Feature Full Career Mode

F1 2019 The Game (Codemasters)

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
F1 2019 - F2 No Career Mode.jpg

Codemasters Lee Mather confirms the career mode of the upcoming F1 2019 won't support a full season of Formula Two.

Although players of the new game will get the opportunity to complete a full campaign in the feeder series via Championship mode, it looks like you won't be able to race completely in the Formula Two category before stepping up to the main series as part of a progression within the career mode aspect of the title.

According to a tweet by Mather, the F2 portion of the career mode will consist of "3 events, with a narrative" - which if I'm honest feels like something of a missed opportunity from Codemasters.

Mather Tweet.jpg

Quite how this all plays out in F1 2019 is yet to be formally revealed, and it is worth noting that a full season can still be enjoyed in the standalone championship mode within the title, so players looking forward to having some fun in the lower rungs of single seater racing don't need to enter full panic mode just yet!

Interestingly, Mather also mentions something about retirements and drivers moving within the game world - although frankly I'm not quite sure exactly what that means or how it will be represented within the game come release day next month.

More information to follow as and when it becomes available.

F1 2019 is due to release on Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC June 2019.

Catch the latest news and discussion at the F1 2019 Sub Forum here at RaceDepartment - join in with your fellow community members and share some of the F1 2019 love!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
Yet another 'hey, let's add this feature, but not really' nonsense.

Why can I only change liveries in MP but not in career? Why can't I run a full season of F2 in career? Why can rivals replace existing drivers, but existing drivers not replace each other (licensing, I know, I know, but it still annoys me)? There is so much potential here that is being left behind year after year. Why they felt the need to add a narrative is beyond me as well, taking away precious development time from core features. I at least wish they would've added the potential to decide over settings whether the user wants to complete a full F2 season or not, but once again the power is not given to the users. Infinitely frustrating, especially because it all seems within reach every time they release the game, if only they tweaked certain things by a tiny margin.

So what i imagine is the F2 is the final 3 events of the season, you have yourself and 2 other vials vying for the championship, the result influences what teams you all get promoted to. I like it, personally I have no interest in completing a full F2 season as part of the career so this is a good middle ground

The funniest thing is that they will introduce the full season of F2 in F1 2020 so they can announce it like the second advent of Christ, and in 2021 they will introduce 3 events of F3 so in F1 2022 we will have something similar to the careers modes of Milestone, only 12 years later. Codemasters is a joke (and another year without classic tracks)

Imo this is a good thing, do you really want to do a full season and all those races before even racing F1 in the F1 game? Maybe its just me but i dont want to spend 50 hours in F2 before getting to F1, I was hoping it would be around 5 events but 3 seems reasonable considering there is a sprint and a feature race for each event.

Imo this is a good thing, do you really want to do a full season and all those races before even racing F1 in the F1 game? Maybe its just me but i dont want to spend 50 hours in F2 before getting to F1, I was hoping it would be around 5 events but 3 seems reasonable considering there is a sprint and a feature race for each event.
Well I would at least like them to make this optional. For example you can choose whether you like to complete a full season, or rather 3 events

I'm puzzled: why go through the whole effort and expense of simulating an entire new series if you're not going to implement it completely in career mode? I'm not a programmer (far from it), but I can't believe it is *that* complicated. At least, we'll be able to play a full standalone season.

Yet another 'hey, let's add this feature, but not really' nonsense.

Why can I only change liveries in MP but not in career? Why can't I run a full season of F2 in career? Why can rivals replace existing drivers, but existing drivers not replace each other (licensing, I know, I know, but it still annoys me)? There is so much potential here that is being left behind year after year. Why they felt the need to add a narrative is beyond me as well, taking away precious development time from core features. I at least wish they would've added the potential to decide over settings whether the user wants to complete a full F2 season or not, but once again the power is not given to the users. Infinitely frustrating, especially because it all seems within reach every time they release the game, if only they tweaked certain things by a tiny margin.
the FOM/FIA rules and contracts wont allow them to let u change the livery in singleplayer thus why u dont have drivers leaving to other teams at the end of season during career mode codemasters does the best they can as far as that goes its the higher ups in F1 that wont let them do alot cause ass hats like toto and horner and random italian name running ferrari dont want to see their guy in another teams uniform red tape bullshit

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 107 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 140 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 202 14.9%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 384 28.3%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 521 38.3%