F1 2019 F1 2019: F2 First Look and a Drive With The Historics (Video)

F1 2019 The Game (Codemasters)

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
We have a look and talk about both the Formula 2 and historic content coming with F1 2019 when it releases this June 28th.

With a two year development period undertaken by Codemasters for their latest Formula One licenced game, it is only reasonable to expect that a little more than extra polish and redesigned liveries and model shapes will be shipped with the title at launch, and Codemasters have come good on that expectation by finally including the supporting F2 cast in F1 2019.

For now the new category is limited to the 2018 season, with this years car expected to be added later in the year, and I've been more than curious to get myself out on track in these new machines and see how different they are from their big brothers in the top category.

As well as trying out the admittedly rather awesome Formula 2 content, we also recently took the opportunity to sample what the classics portion of the game has to offer. Now I must admit I've never been too impressed with this side of the F1 franchise, so I'm interested to see how it stacks up within the new game..

F1 2019 will release on Xbox One, PS4 and PC June 28th 2019.

For the latest F1 2019 news, head over to the F1 2019 sub forum here at RaceDepartment - a great place to chat about the game, engage with your fellow F1 fans and even browse our growing F1 2019 modding forum.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
Really excited about the inclusion of F2 in the game and your video makes me even more impatient to try it.

As for the historical content, not my cup of tea, even if, as you say, it's a step up. It's simply not the reason why I buy these F1 games. Also, driving historical cars on modern tracks doesn't work for me.

I bought the "anniversary" edition and preloading has already started, 6 days in advance.

I’ll admit - I was going to wait with ‘19 until the first 50% or lower sale.
Although I enjoy the series, Instill have plenty of mileage in the earlier seasons.
Pre-halo 17 cars are a joy, I have only scratched 18.

So why rush for 19?

Comes F2...

Damn, curiosity tickled, “want it now mode” triggered.
Codies has done it again, excellent marketing move.

You know this could be even better.
All those licenses are a pain especially classic F1, but it is feasible to get the current F1, F2 and maybe some other “step up class”, to fulfill a career oriented gameplay. Now going from a rookie class to F2 and finally F1 should be enough to keep people excited for a whole year and the next installment.

Sure keep some of the classic content - I love the classic cars, but they feel somewhat out of place without proper roster and tracks, they are there for some hotlap fun - my guilty pleasure - but that’s about it.

Here’s to Codies getting some traction with F2 and I hope another Formula step up class.

Really looking forward to the F2 content.

Really excited about the inclusion of F2 in the game and your video makes me even more impatient to try it.

As for the historical content, not my cup of tea, even if, as you say, it's a step up. It's simply not the reason why I buy these F1 games. Also, driving historical cars on modern tracks doesn't work for me.

I bought the "anniversary" edition and preloading has already started, 6 days in advance.

Full agreement.
As for the 6 days in advance preloading, that’s pretty near to being cruel and unusual punishment.
Still waiting to grow up, so patience is not my strongest trait.

Hmm I wasn’t going to get this but you’ve piqued my interest! I barely touched F1 2018 - it’s a good game but driving F1 isn’t usually for me. It’s too fast and too planted for my tastes. But F2 is a bit more like it and I agree that the F2 season last year was a whole lot better than watching the F1. Might have to pick this up. Oh, and the tracks look incredible. I thought Silverstone in ACC looked great, but this looks super detailed.

The biggest issue I have with 2019 so far is the FFB, anything beyond like 80 degrees of rotation and the FFB dies, with the car stuck in understeer. I've tried adjusting rotation, saturation and all that work (why codies don't use a proper calibration system like everyone else I don't know) but something just doesn't feel right.

Saying that, the career, graphics and everything are stunning

So, Does this mean that F2 was intentionally made more toward hard core sim or is just the car drives different?

Just an uneducated guess on my part, but I think that real F1 cars have so much downforce that driving them is a very different experience from driving a F2 car. The way Paul describes the experience, I am guessing that F2 cars are less stable and more "twitchy". F1 cars, in comparison, stick a lot more to the ground and are less nervous.

I wonder if anybody can confirm/deny this?

Yeah not hardcore sim, just to be clear, but certainly a believable experience.

Best way to describe the F2 cars is that they feel more mechanical, less point and squirt than the F1. Heavier steering, less rear grip, slightly longer braking distances etc. I like ‘me a lot!

Did a full race distance F2 race at Silverstone yesterday (will put video up later) and had a blast with it.

This isn’t my type of game to be honest, but, I’ve really enjoyed it and will certainly keep driving it in future. A good all round racing experience.

I'm honestly disappointed with F1 2018. Similar Experience with ACC. Like they want to dictate a new way of playing racing games. Like bringing back NFS Shift series with the input lag.

I'm sure early reviewers will hesitate to mention negatives in any title they review first, but all I want to know is how smooth the graphics flow in this one? Anyone with the F1 2018 title will know what I'm talking about. Like the forced stutter even at high FPS. I'm interested in the contents of this title but I fear it's just another title I will save in my hard disk never to play again. I'm waiting for non-reviewer feedback. Someone like the normal me talk about their experience.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 84 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 166 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 319 27.9%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 449 39.2%