F1 2019 Car Launch: SportPesa Racing Point F1

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Racing Point 4.jpg

The team with arguably the least impressive name in Formula One, SportPesa Racing Point F1, have revealed their new car today - the RP19.

Powered once again by the dominant Mercedes engine, and now benefitting from fresh investment from businessman Lawrence Stroll and his consortium, the former Jordan, Midland, Spyker and Force India team have been reborn for 2019 - complete with new team name, a new driver and a rather similar if slightly modified colour scheme.

Launching at the Canadian Auto Show in Toronto earlier today, the SportPesa Racing Point F1 RP19 is the car that the Silverstone based team hope to launch them back into regular podium contention this season, as the former Force India team look to build on their new found investment dollars to move yet further up the grid in the year ahead.

Racing Point 2.jpg
Racing Point 1.jpg

Team Principal & CEO, Otmar Szafnauer had the following to say of the new machine:

“After months of hard work behind-the-scenes it’s incredibly exciting to come to Canada and present our new identity. The long-term aim is to take this team to the very top of the sport. We are putting the building blocks in place and it’s important we take a good step forward in 2019 as we begin this new era. We want to be fighting for podiums on merit and aiming for a strong top four finish in the championship.”

Racing Point 3.jpg
Racing Point 4.jpg

Sergio Perez summed up his goals for 2019:

“I’m really excited to stay with this team as we begin the new era. We have stability and strong leadership at the top, which is important because it means I can simply focus on the driving and performance. I want us to be the best of the rest once again. I believe in this team and I think we can achieve great things together.”
New team mate Lance Stroll was equally optimistic, the Canadian hopeful that his move to Racing Point will act as a launchpad for his future Grand Prix career:

“I can see how much potential we have in this team and there’s an incredible buzz in the factory and so much enthusiasm. I always aim high so I want us to be competitive right from the start. It’s way too early to know how we compare to the other teams, but right here today I believe we should be fighting for points in every race. My goal is to get back on the podium in 2019 as well. I’ve seen what this team achieved in the past and it’s a real credit to the people involved. I’m looking forward to making our own history.”
Racing Point head into 2019 off the back of a strong year on track as firstly Force India, before heading to Spa and a podium finish under the new Racing Point ownership following a period of administration - regularly scoring points and challenging the big four teams at the sharp end of the field. With further backing and a new found stability, this small but efficient team could well be in for performing a few surprises during the year ahead.

To check out when the next cars are set to be revealed, and how to watch it all unfold live, check out THIS LINK.

For more from the world of Formula One, head over to the RaceDepartment Formula One sub forum and join in with fellow fans of the top level of open wheel motorsport.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Funny how its still using the 2018 rear wing there with the vented aero slots on the end plates.
which has been banned to use, removed inside the rules.

With the blue over the airbox, and the darker pink stripes, this has become my new favorite livery. The Red Bull doesn't count because it is apparently just for show and not the real thing.

As rubaru mentioned, I'm sure the RedBull livery isn't the race livery (again, just like the zebra stripes last year) and so this is so far my favourite livery. It's quite simple still, like most F1 liveries, but it works well on the car. I like the stripes up the nose expanding and blending into the sidepods.

If RedBull grows a pair and runs their unveiling livery proper it'll be my favourite if for no other reason than it's not the same old boring F1 liveries we've been saddled with for the last 20 years.

So, they kept the 2018 livery and added a shade of blue that does not go with the pink at all. The location is super out of place too. Who would design something like this? Surely not a professional designer, there are way better "fanmade" liveries out there on the internet.

I think they little by little over-done it finally. Last year was pretty ok but now...
looks like some gipsy family have just finished their final preparation on their van for Nola Mardi Gras holiday.
Kinda. :alien:

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."

W. Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet... :p

Seriously, I hate the colour pink on everything, whether it’s a car, a shirt or anything else, so I don’t like the livery. The design looks really good, however. There’s so much hate for the Stroll family that I doubt a lot of people will support this team, but one cannot deny the fact that Force India did some minor miracles considering the resources they had at their disposal. I’m expecting great things from them, even if I’m not crazy about their drivers lineup.

So, they kept the 2018 livery and added a shade of blue that does not go with the pink at all. The location is super out of place too. Who would design something like this? Surely not a professional designer, there are way better "fanmade" liveries out there on the internet.

While I agree that there are better fan-made liveries out there (the same is true for literally every livery in F1 the last 20 years), this one isn't bad. And, speaking as a professional designer, this is actually quite well handled. That blue thing? It follows the (very few) body cues of the car. The two stripes up the nose are where they should be, and blend nicely out into the shapes on the sidepods. Overall the livery is well proportioned and has some nice contrasting elements.

Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it's bad. This livery is objectively well constructed, even if it doesn't match your subjective own tastes.

There are still better fan made liveries out there, for sure. Not to take anything away from those efforts, but it's not saying much - F1's liveries have been a bore-fest for decades. Even from Red Bull, who should have mad liveries. They do something cool for testing and then wimp out for the real deal time and time again.

Indeed, but fans who design liveries do not have to deal with the contractual obligations imposed by sponsors...

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 91 7.6%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 125 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 335 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 465 39.0%