F1 2018 F1 2018: Share Your Career!

F1 2018 The Game (Codemasters)

Chris

Premium
With the launch of the Official Formula One game for 2018 shaping up to have the most immersive and comprehensive Career mode to date, we want YOU to share your Career Mode experiences with the rest of the community!

3wide.jpg Alonso.jpg Ferrari.jpg Hockenheim.jpg Interview.jpg Overview.jpg Paul Ricard.jpg Sauber.jpg Sauber2.jpg Williams.jpg

Include videos, screenshots and anything else you think will best showcase the on-track (and off-track) action that you've gotten up to so far!

Last edited:
Finally got some time to finish my first race. So as in many other parallel universes, here Sauber realized that a good move would be to take 2 rookies. So they put me next to Leclerc. In order to find my difficulty and to simulate pre-season tests, I drove two 50% races, with 1-shot Q, on Catalunya circuit. First one was me adjusting from playing F1 2013 until few weeks ago, so it saw couple of flashbacks, until after 4th visit to wall I decided to end it there. Then 2nd race, qualified in top10, so that gave me less favorable strategy with 2 stops. In the race didn't have pace and finished 20 seconds behind Leclerc. AI was at 90, and I choose to leave it like that.
On to Australia, first practice program done, getting back to pit, boom, hit the wall on exit of turn 4. no flashback, end of the session. Got all programs done, with only fuel not making purple I think. Also managed to find a setup that gave me confidence and went to Q. Great 1 lap pace saw me going to Q3 :confused: But as I realized it is not really realistic at this point I didn't set time and was 10th. Started 9th due to Ricciardo penalty for hitting Vettel in practice 3.
Race: Average start (I like manual starts in this game), Overtook Perez for 8th and had Alonso and Hulk ahead. My plan was 2 stops, as suggested time difference was 3 seconds, with first stop on lap 7 of 29. On lap 4 I started to get to rhythm and catch 2 guys ahead and just got them on lap 6. Couldn't overtake due to them slipstreaming each other. So on lap 7 I decided to do the opposite to them, I turned in the pit (for SS) as they continued and that was when I realized I messed up (1 stop was way to go). Lap later after my really bad out lap, Alonso was out of pits on softs at around 3 seconds ahead (been 0.3sec ahead before my stop). I caught him on faster tyres in 3 laps and overtook him straight away (thought not everything is lost), but he managed to keep up with me. When I was informed that I am 8sec behind Leclerc I knew that he is also on 1 stop. And he did it on lap 13-14. On lap 14 they suggest me strategy change, stopping on lap 16 for SS instead of lap 18. I accept and pit on lap 16, as my tyres were great I wanted to have longer last stint to get back more time. And it worked great, I was lonely after pit but started gaining big time on guys ahead. It was Ocon-Leclerc-Grosjean, fighting for 10th position. Ocon was slowest and that helped me to catch up. When I got to him, Leclerc and Grosjean were a bit up the road. Got Ocon on lap 20 and arrived on Grosjean's back on lap 22, but he has closed to Leclerc so I had trouble to get past due to him slipstreaming Charles. But on lap 27, Grosjean attacked into turn 1, Leclerc slowed down and I took a chance and got them both on clean inside line. Never looked back after it, first race first point, fantastic.
For future, my tyre wear was much better then I thought it will be, so going for 1 stop will be option in future, we'll see...

Last edited:
Second race - Bahrain
I survived all 3 practice sessions, no kissing the wall. And went from +1.5sec to Leclerc in FP1, to -0.4sec in FP3 (where I did my Q program). I was very slow in S1, no confidence on exit of turn 1. But in Q, I just pushed and tried to keep it on track. Result, P8, which I count as cheating and probably need higher AI in Q. But with team giving me easy goal of achieving 2 points in first 2 races (in Sauber, how is that easy) :D I kept this result.
Race: Start was awful, off the line I was okay, but then Perez diving on the inside for T1, I kept my nose clean and that lost me couple of positions. In S2, Gasly saw opportunity and gave me my first taste of hard-racing AI. Which also let Sainz through. But on start-finish straight, I got them both back, almost. I didn't count wider cars in this year so with us 3 braking side by side with me on inside of T1, my rear-left touched Gasly's front-right. Letting the brakes and opposite lock saved both Sainz and me from Singapore 2017, while Gasly made it out ahead. Still my pace was good, so I overtook him quickly and tried to close in on Magnussen ahead. For the rest of the race I was helped with 1-stopping Ocon who slowed down Hulk and Mag, so I could fight with them until the end. Winning that fight gave me P10, another point and team goal achieved.
Kimi had engine troubles, and after winning Australia he could only manage P6 this time, but still leading the championship. Both of these races are recorded and I put highlights in video section:
https://www.racedepartment.com/media/videos/f12018-career-season-1-australia.32465/
https://www.racedepartment.com/media/videos/f12018-career-season-1-bahrain.32466/

Still a lot to learn, and mistakes to correct. I really feel like a rookie (which for F1 driving I am, as most/all of us) :D

So after the first good season (i have joined Mclaren mid season from williams) we are starting the second season with a bang!
F1_2018_2018_12_02_18_48_26_632.jpg
now we are in the top 3 and will be chasing for podiums!
Team's progress in my first season (i have joined Mclaren from spa) :
F1_2018_2018_12_02_19_18_39_153.jpg
in R&D we have the best engine by a very good margin right now, 4th in chassis and 5 in aero , our strategy was putting the maximum effort in every session to get all the available R&D point (doing all the practice programs and + by doing 10 lap in every session like FPs you can get 50 point per session, it means 150 point only from doing your laps in FPs) and also we have skipped upgrading our reliability (and sacrificing our grid positions) in first season to be able to invest in other areas ...

Check the F1 2018 setup section for my driver setups for each grand prix. Been a while since I played, so recently managed to finish and win the Canadian and French Grand Prix.

The first screen shows a vital take on Vettel in Canada, while the other shows an unbelievable move on Bottas & Vettel in to turn 3 at Paul Ricard .. they were thinking about each other too much! The other screen is a checkpoint challenge in Hungary using Kimi Raikkonen's 2008 World Championship winning Ferrari.

47687895_2546709908679967_63461564887334912_o.jpg
47576645_2546709768679981_3434653065637003264_o.jpg
47296422_2546709815346643_8824631340428165120_o.jpg

So, it took me almost 18 months, but I managed to finish my 2nd season. Both seasons with Sauber and upping the difficulty for season 2.
Season 1 - learning on car behavior in first half, then working with setup and getting Spa-Monza-Singapore, 3 wins in a row in a Sauber was not real even with us then being close 4th team. So decided to add few points to AI after that. As I finished first season with only Seb and Lewis ahead. Seb was leading almost half of the championship, then Ferrari stopped with upgrades and Merc went into alien mode, talking about realism. :roflmao: Anyway, I decided to stay with Sauber since team was working everything for season 2.

Season 2 - after doing good work on regulation changes Sauber is close 2nd in performance chart. And in order to show that I am gunning for title I pushed to much and crashed in Q1 in Melbourne. Then in race, I could see real speed of my car, which brought me from 20th to 3rd in the end. To much for me, so few more points to AI. First few races were won by Ferrari's, they obviously did regulation change good, while we were closing in and then interesting thing happened. Ferrari stopped upgrading and did only 1 small update between Baku and Japan (looks like they made them "we switch to next year car"). While we took over first place in performance in Austria and stayed there until Japan. I saw my chance and from France I made 6 consecutive wins, with best one coming in Monza. In Monza I lost position in first lap by trying to play safe and spent whole race chasing after Leclerc on same strategy. In the middle of the 2nd sting I caught him and passed him 2 laps later (no Ferrari magic now Charles :p), and unfortunately his car stopped after that. That gave me big lead in title race and I made mistake by starting to calculate what is needed. Where did that lead: 8th in Singapore, 2nd in Sochi because of time penalties and showdown in Japan, with me needing to outscore Charles by 4 points. As I needed new engine parts I knew I will start last, so setup went that way and it proved to be fantastic decision. I started 20th, on SS tyres, with best car on the grid (RB close 2nd, Renault 3rd, Merc 4th). Flying in first 4 laps I got to Bottas in 5th on lap 6. Then on pit lap (7) I saw that tyres are still good so when Bottas went in I made my 2 best laps and took softs on lap 10/27. SS tyres were so good that I managed to overcut Bottas and get out behind LEC-VER-RIC, all onmediums going to the end. After few laps I overtook RBs and chased 6sec after Leclerc. As I was on 2sec behind on lap 17 pitwall proposed to go to the end on these tyres. I thought it was risk but I was so much faster then other on medium that I could slow down take care of tyres and still finish. So that's what I did, took some rest, then overtook Charles and cruised until 2 laps until the end when SC came out for retired Ric. We all kept our tyres and had 1 lap sprint, but I got LEC-VER sleeping and made a gap in S1.And that was it, my first ever title in F1 games (never finished full career season), at the same time team got a title too.
Now, it's time to go to 6th team in performance and bring them back where they belong. Yes that team is Ferrari, based on realism of AI results I saw, I could bet that real life 2020 would see Ferrari in 6th. :roflmao:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 92 12.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 68 9.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 73 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 45 6.2%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 100 13.8%