F1 2018 F1 2018 Online Multiplayer Licence Explained

F1 2018 The Game (Codemasters)

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
With F1 2018 from Codemasters just two days away from release, we learn more about the proposed online multiplayer licence system for the new title.

With just a couple of days left until Formula One 2018 releases on Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC this August 24th, developers Codemasters have released a new interview with Senior Games Designer Luke Stephenson, digging a bit deeper into the new online multiplayer licence system.

Luke discusses how Codemasters are making an attempt with the new title to offer a more moderated and ranked online experience with F1 2018, working hard to help gamers find events where similarly skilled and experienced players are taking part and thus improving the online experience and reducing unnecessary incidents with those less serious about their approach to racing with real people.

F1 2018 .jpg

Hi Luke! Could you tell us what you do on F1® 2018?
“I’m a Senior Games Designer on the F1® team who oversees multiplayer – although I work on many areas throughout the game – and I designed the new Ranked multiplayer and Super Licence systems for F1® 2018.”

Could you tell us what the Super Licence is?
“At its heart the Super Licence is a means to keep track of three things relating to the multiplayer game: your overall skill, the cleanliness of your racecraft, and your time invested. Improvement in each of these areas is something that players can aspire to achieve, and also serves as a point of comparison against the other drivers you encounter online.

“Your ‘skill value’ goes up and down based on the skill of the opponents that you defeat or are defeated by, and this value determines your Rank.

“Next comes your Safety Rating, which evaluates how long you are able to race between incidents. Each incident you are involved in will issue you incident points based on severity, and keeping these to a minimum will improve your Safety Rating over time.

“Finally, your Level increases as you gain ‘experience’ from completing races, finishing in strong positions, and hitting various statistic milestones. This last part of the Super Licence persists across both Ranked and Unranked so that you can continue to build your Super Licence however you play, but it won’t be factored into the Ranked matchmaking process.”

What was the intention behind the Super Licence – how did it come about?
“There were two major motivations driving this. Firstly, we have had lots of feedback from our community members who, when trying to find competitive public games, are frequently put off the experience by one or two disruptive drivers. The Super Licence is our most significant step to date in regards to stamping out that problem, as those disruptive drivers will tend to be placed in different lobbies to those who give each other racing room.

“Secondly, as many will know the inaugural F1® Esports Series last year was an incredible success powered by F1® 2017, and we want to develop that area of our game further by creating an environment that could produce the next generation of esports champions. So we want our multiplayer game to have a meaningful sense of progression, to foster a culture of clean racing, and to allow new talent to emerge, regardless of whether you are dropping in for a casual few races, or trying to reach Master Rank against the best in the world.”

How will Ranks work?
“Players will be matched into the most suitable Ranked lobbies we can find with other players of a similar Skill and Safety Rating. Your Skill value is the number that you’ll see next to your Rank, and that’s what we base all our calculations off. The system will expect a player of higher Skill to beat a player with lower Skill, so if that doesn’t happen than both players will have their skill values adjusted a small amount. Every player is judged against everyone else, so when you’re in a 20 car race you can think of it like having 19 one-on-one races. The more you play, the closer you should trend to your ‘true’ skill level, and the better the racing should become.

“The Skill value is also tied to your Rank, which is the badge that you can see throughout the game. Going from 1900 to 2000 for example may promote you from Silver to Gold, so these can serve as great targets as you climb up the ranks.”

How will the Safety Rating change games?
“Fair drivers want to race against other fair drivers, and that’s what the Safety Rating system is designed to encourage. Drivers that respect their competitors will advance their Safety Rating, get matched against other respectful drivers, and then have even cleaner races. This should encourage more players to give racing room – especially down into turn 1 – and maybe think twice about those dive-bombs from 100 metres back. You don’t have to go for every gap that exists, after all!”

I’m not a fast driver – will this affect me when playing online?
“When racing against other people online, the important thing is not outright pace, but rather your relative pace to other drivers. With Ranks, we are trying to keep drivers of similar ability racing together, which should increase the chances of close, fun races regardless of your speed.

“Of course, whatever level you compete at, it’s important to ensure everyone is competing on an even field; that’s why Ranked races use equal car performance with modern cars, and Spec races are used when racing our wide selection of classic cars.”

F1 2018 will release on Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC August 24th 2018.

Check out the Formula One 2018 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for the latest news and community discussion around this exciting new Formula One game. If mods are your thing then fear not, we have you covered! Check out the F1 2018 Mods Forum for the latest and greatest release from the community!.

Like what you see at RaceDepartment? Follow us on social media!

Will you be taking the F1 2018 purchasing plunge on Friday? Looking forward to the title? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Oh my

Ever since GTR2 I have thought that sims should have separate versions
for pro ( no aids or other help of any kind, no arcade virtual mirrors !

Servers would be seperated

Both menus would be entirely different with Pro being able to get rid of pages of menus and silly buttons like rear view or virtual mirrors ( totally arcade ) and this it makes racing better so people last longer or don't take other people out is just a bad excuse ( just made 101 enemies lol )

Tell me if a sim had no aids why would a inexperienced person buy it ?
They would buy the normal version

then one day they get better they decide to buy the pro version too !

the developer just made double the sales lol ?

Hate to be the one.... but, no VR? Then it's a game, not an online simulator, so if your a hardcore racer then who cares?
Cheers

I agree with the VR thing, but tell me If I missed it. I didn't read any "SIMULATOR" in the article. Not even in other forums. It's a racing title, just like the way I treat every other title I own. Having the "Simulator" badge, oh... many claim it, but I only have 1 or 2 titles in mind that deserve that.

I just don't enjoy having to set sims up for servers or change for individuals wishes or listening to people berate you for not having more aids on lol :)
I would like every single thing in ui to be real or close as possible to keep up immersion

Oh as both versions are the same content you could give buyers a month to make up their minds if they wanted ama or pro version so anyone found they were out of their depth in pro could go ama
and vice-versa

I would also rather have most all settings humanly possible outside the sim in a special loader to cut down on clutter and so you could quickly pick various profiles of combined controller/gfx/settings before you boot ;)

I agree with the VR thing, but tell me If I missed it. I didn't read any "SIMULATOR" in the article. Not even in other forums. It's a racing title, just like the way I treat every other title I own. Having the "Simulator" badge, oh... many claim it, but I only have 1 or 2 titles in mind that deserve that.
Their development diary on youtube did say this was a sim and not an arcade racer.

As much as I enjoy the concept of safety rankings and "quick matches" to sort you with players of your own skill, there just aren't enough people playing sims on the regular for it to work properly.

Let's say you have a 20 car public lobby, which is a very good car count and a full field in F1.

3 drivers are "A" class skill level.
10 drivers are "B" class skill level.
5 drivers are "C" class skill level.
And 5 drivers just bought the game ten minutes ago.

If you start auto splitting by skill level, you're subjecting some users to a race with just 3 cars in it, and then another race with 5 cars in it.

I would honestly take the public lobby or open session with 20 cars over a 3 car ghost town.

Like the "sim" racing community isn't fractured enough as it is.

I was reading the OP and was waiting for E-Sports to come up, and yep, there it is. If that's the way they're going I definitely won't be buying any further Codies F1 games. E-Sports are for the rich minority of 20 somethings who live off the bank account of mummy and daddy and get to sit in front of their current gen consoles and top end best tech money can buy PCs 24/7. I highly doubt any of the current crop of E-Sports participants are people who own a 3 year old PC (or just a PS3 or Xbox 360), and equally or older wheel/pedals or gamepad, and only game at weekends!!

Concentrating on that minority is not the way to build a good game - just ask those who bought Dawn of War III!

Hate to be the one.... but, no VR? Then it's a game, not an online simulator, so if your a hardcore racer then who cares?
Cheers
So if NFS start to support VR then suddenly it is a simulator ?? By the way i dont think all sim support VR the first day they launch, VR is just another feature that implement into the game thanks to related improved technology. Your logic is pretty silly i must say.

Also even F1 team not really use their simulator in VR mode ... did they ??

Cheers

Do the simulators F1 teams use in the factory use VR? Or do they use a screen?

giphy.gif

I am not saying they should not support it but this dismissing of games/simulators because of no VR is getting beyond the joke. People think just because of having VR that they are some sort of elite sim racer while they sit their in their slippers on their fake wheels and pedals thinking they are Ayrton Senna. Do me a favour.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back