F1 2018 Modding Questions Thread

Hello, is it possible to change the power of a team for career mode? for example i want to start career as ferrari but i dont want to have the fastest car from the start, I want the team to have the worst car on the grid so i can progress through the field season by season

1) Open the erp of the car you're designing. Go to the PKG tab and export the carmodel.layer file

2) Change the model line to the car of your choice. This is an example from my Renault R.S19 mod
"Model": {
"mat binding": "stri eaid://f1_2018_vehicle_package/teams/lotus/idf/lotus.emb?context=default",
"model": "stri eaid://f1_2018_vehicle_package/teams/williams/idf/williams.idf?context=render"

3) You'll also need the damage and dirt file from, in this case, the Williams. The details and wheel decals are not too important but it improves the finished product.

Hope this helped :)
Unfortunately that method doesn't work anymore in F1 2020 :( do you know a way to do this in the current game?

it still works fine for F1 2020 per my testing
Ok, then I'm too dumb to properly do this, the car livery is always messed up after this method :sleep: Let's say I want to put the Ferrari chassis on the Haas car. I export the Haas carmodel.layer PKG file and change the two team names in the "model" line to "ferrari". Then I export the damage and dirt file from the Ferrari (along with the fitting mipmaps), re-name all of them from ferrari_damage.tif (or dirt) to haas_damage.tif (or dirt) and import everything into the Haas ERP. After that I do the same with the paint and decal file. And then it's done? Because that's what I did so far and 0/3 times it worked

Ok, then I'm too dumb to properly do this, the car livery is always messed up after this method :sleep: Let's say I want to put the Ferrari chassis on the Haas car. I export the Haas carmodel.layer PKG file and change the two team names in the "model" line to "ferrari". Then I export the damage and dirt file from the Ferrari (along with the fitting mipmaps), re-name all of them from ferrari_damage.tif (or dirt) to haas_damage.tif (or dirt) and import everything into the Haas ERP. After that I do the same with the paint and decal file. And then it's done? Because that's what I did so far and 0/3 times it worked
I'd need some screenshots to verify, but sounds like the livery simply isn't designed for that chassis.

Hello @ all,

is it possible to change the 2018 carmodels with the 1998 McLaren model ? So that I have a Grid Full of 1998 McLaren Cars ?
Yes, it's the same like here:

Is it possible to add commentator audio files for the drivers from F1 2019, F1 2020 or even older F1 games into F1 2018? As example is it possible that Crofty can say Norris then in F1 2018?

So unsure about which F1 game (from 2018-2020) i should use for a 2021 mod.
2018 looks to be the obvious to me because we still can edit the language files there.

Is it possible to add commentator audio files for the drivers from F1 2019, F1 2020 or even older F1 games into F1 2018? As example is it possible that Crofty can say Norris then in F1 2018?

So unsure about which F1 game (from 2018-2020) i should use for a 2021 mod.
2018 looks to be the obvious to me because we still can edit the language files there.
I think you can do it, it's like engine sounds importing to f1 2018, you need just to rename it. I think that can work

I think you can do it, it's like engine sounds importing to f1 2018, you need just to rename it. I think that can work

That would be super cool to add audio files from older games to the current ones or from the current ones to at least F1 2018

So maybe it would work then also for career drivers.
Imagine Senna's name (thanks to Bruno Senna or F1 2019 i think) back in the game.

Speaking of this does anybody know how to replace/change in-game models?
Is it still the old method?
I would add then in-game models like Senna, Prost, Schumi, Rosberg, Button etc. to the career driver section.

Last edited:
Speaking of this does anybody know how to replace/change in-game models?
Is it still the old method?
I would add then in-game models like Senna, Prost, Schumi, Rosberg, Button etc. to the career driver section.
you cant do that at all unforunately, only change them between the ones that are already in-game

you can do that for jeff but not for commentators, I've already wrote an instruction on that somewhere in this topic

Hi

Anyone knows how to exchange real drivers from one team to another? I mean, not only change the name, also the face and the helmet.

I want to put Fernando Alonso in Renault and Carlos Sainz in McLaren.

Hi

Anyone knows how to exchange real drivers from one team to another? I mean, not only change the name, also the face and the helmet.

I want to put Fernando Alonso in Renault and Carlos Sainz in McLaren.

Take look at these tutorials
for the driver swap the second one to change the names etc.

For the driver helmet etc. you have to find the files texture files and just swap then those files in and out.
BUT you may need to do some texture modding then as well.
Take a Red Bull driver helmet as example. If you change let's say Max to Mercedes he still would have the Red Bull sponsors on his helmet while driving for Merc.

So therefore you have to do some photoshopping or gimp to fix that

Last edited:
Hi!
I need help! Unfortunately, I tested various modifications to F1 2018. I do not know what but something prevents me from entering the race. I cannot play either the race or the time trial. I need help. I thought to get the original unmodified game files, but I can't find them anywhere.
Thank you in advance for your help!

Hi!
I need help! Unfortunately, I tested various modifications to F1 2018. I do not know what but something prevents me from entering the race. I cannot play either the race or the time trial. I need help. I thought to get the original unmodified game files, but I can't find them anywhere.
wich files have you edited send me a pm i could help, best wishes.

Hi!
Just recheck files by Steam.
Right click on game in Steam library - properties - local files - verify integrity of local files. After this Steam will restore originals.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 349 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 483 39.0%