F1 2018 Modding Questions Thread

The "long awaited" Face swapping tutorial is done now, it should show how to do it but I will try to answer any questions here or Youtube comments. Might not be the greatest tutorial as I didn't do a lot of set-up testing and I do assume a good modding skill level for it rather than explaining everything.
Thank you very much.
Also, since it is possible to swap driver heads, is it also possible to swap audio files?
So that I can make Crofty say, for example, Ricciardo instead of Sainz? by changing the xml file so Ricciardo's sound is used for Sainz?

to swap the 3d models of helmets and body. but the coloring of the helmet is the original

<scene name="lewis_hamilton">
<actor type="InCarDriverActor" id="InCarDriver">
<part instanceParamCount="9" id="DriverHelmet" culling="bone_helmet_main" cullingradius="0.25" mesh="eaid://character_package/kitpart_assets/generic/helmets/helmet_bell_01/idf/helmet_bell_01" connectjoint="COPY" />
<part instanceParamCount="9" id="DriverSpecific" mesh="eaid://character_package/drivers/male/2018-mercedes_valtteri_bottas/idf/valtteri_bottas" connectjoint="COPY" />
<part id="Driver::Head" mesh="eaid://character_package/heads/male_driver/valtteri_bottas/idf/valtteri_bottas" connectjoint="Bip01 Head" instanceParamCount="2" />
</actor>
</scene>
<scene name="valtteri_bottas">
<part instanceParamCount="9" id="DriverHelmet" culling="bone_helmet_main" cullingradius="0.25" mesh="eaid://character_package/kitpart_assets/generic/helmets/helmet_stilo_02/idf/helmet_stilo_02" connectjoint="COPY" />
<part instanceParamCount="9" id="DriverSpecific" mesh="eaid://character_package/drivers/male/2018-mercedes_lewis_hamilton/idf/lewis_hamilton" connectjoint="COPY" />
<part id="Driver::Head" mesh="eaid://character_package/heads/male_driver/lewis_hamilton/idf/lewis_hamilton" connectjoint="Bip01 Head" instanceParamCount="2" />
</actor>

to swap the 3d models of helmets and body. but the coloring of the helmet is the original

<scene name="lewis_hamilton">
<part instanceParamCount="9" id="DriverHelmet" culling="bone_helmet_main" cullingradius="0.25" mesh="eaid://character_package/kitpart_assets/generic/helmets/helmet_bell_01/idf/helmet_bell_01" connectjoint="COPY" />
<part instanceParamCount="9" id="DriverSpecific" mesh="eaid://character_package/drivers/male/2018-mercedes_valtteri_bottas/idf/valtteri_bottas" connectjoint="COPY" />
<part id="Driver::Head" mesh="eaid://character_package/heads/male_driver/valtteri_bottas/idf/valtteri_bottas" connectjoint="Bip01 Head" instanceParamCount="2" />
</actor>
</scene>
<scene name="valtteri_bottas">
<part instanceParamCount="9" id="DriverHelmet" culling="bone_helmet_main" cullingradius="0.25" mesh="eaid://character_package/kitpart_assets/generic/helmets/helmet_stilo_02/idf/helmet_stilo_02" connectjoint="COPY" />
<part instanceParamCount="9" id="DriverSpecific" mesh="eaid://character_package/drivers/male/2018-mercedes_lewis_hamilton/idf/lewis_hamilton" connectjoint="COPY" />
<part id="Driver::Head" mesh="eaid://character_package/heads/male_driver/lewis_hamilton/idf/lewis_hamilton" connectjoint="Bip01 Head" instanceParamCount="2" />
</actor>
texture does not change with that, only model

Hi all, I am looking for lng_* lines for all teams in language file. I found all of them but for McLaren I can see only:
1) lng_team_mcl_honda_title==McLaren F1 Team
2) lng_team_mcl_title==McLaren Mercedes

I guess that 2nd is for old McLaren cars, when they used Mercedes engine. So that leaves 1st option, is this correct or am I missing something?
Name is good, just their lng_ name is confusing.

Thanks,
Sasa

Hi guys,
I tried to alter the grip of the tyres (only play offline and its for own use) and so I found the "asset groups/f1 2018 vehicle package/tyrecompounds" folder with an .erp file in it, holding a xml file where I could adjust numbers.

So I did, the car cornered faster when I adjusted the "peak" values in there.
But now; I go faster, not the AI. I have gotten 2 seconds faster, AI still as they were and thats no fun.
I made a small error on the rear medium tyres and the AI did spin out because of that(!)
So I figure; they do "listen", but why not go faster?

Does anyone have an idea on this?
Thanks in advance!

Hi guys,
I tried to alter the grip of the tyres (only play offline and its for own use) and so I found the "asset groups/f1 2018 vehicle package/tyrecompounds" folder with an .erp file in it, holding a xml file where I could adjust numbers.

So I did, the car cornered faster when I adjusted the "peak" values in there.
But now; I go faster, not the AI. I have gotten 2 seconds faster, AI still as they were and thats no fun.
I made a small error on the rear medium tyres and the AI did spin out because of that(!)
So I figure; they do "listen", but why not go faster?

Does anyone have an idea on this?
Thanks in advance!
it's the brakelines, the AI won't acknowledge extra performance in corners because they are programmed to brake at a certain distance while a human can alter their racing line based on the grip available

Ah, I get it, thank you!
I take it there is no way to alter that?
there is, but it would take you probably 30-40h to edit all the tracks (plus you'd actually need to learn how to do it first). They have been edited before for performance mods.

If you are modding performance you should either stick to the game's limits (so normal performance upgrades) or make the cars slower so you don't need to get into AI files

In regards to the chassis swap Q2 loading issue, I don't think it actually exists. I just did a very basic chassis swap (Haas chassis for Ferrari) and I was able to load into all sessions (Q2, Q3, race) just fine. So those who have experienced the issue, I'd like to get more details (which specific mods used, which chassis on which team if mod is unreleased etc.). Could it be version issues (older mods that aren't up to date).

If someone else could also try just a basic chassis swap and see I'd like to know if my case is somehow special (hardware combination or something)

In regards to the chassis swap Q2 loading issue, I don't think it actually exists. I just did a very basic chassis swap (Haas chassis for Ferrari) and I was able to load into all sessions (Q2, Q3, race) just fine. So those who have experienced the issue, I'd like to get more details (which specific mods used, which chassis on which team if mod is unreleased etc.). Could it be version issues (older mods that aren't up to date).

If someone else could also try just a basic chassis swap and see I'd like to know if my case is somehow special (hardware combination or something)

It does exist. That would be because it does not happen every Q2. For me it's every 5 races, therefore SPAIN - BRITAIN - SINGAPORE - BRAZIL in S2 of my modded career. I have Ferrari on the Force India chassis, Renault on the Williams chassis. It happens to be both of these cars that crashes the game (I swapped for original ERP for one at a time.)

I'd also like details from others who have experienced this issue to understand whether what I have explained is the same or at least similar to their explanation. Thanks.

there is, but it would take you probably 30-40h to edit all the tracks (plus you'd actually need to learn how to do it first). They have been edited before for performance mods.

If you are modding performance you should either stick to the game's limits (so normal performance upgrades) or make the cars slower so you don't need to get into AI files

Ooowwww, thats a whole other thing!
I can dive in there to see how it looks, but it is probably out of my league indeed.
Wel, I'm wiser now so thank you very much KeisariKine!!

Can someone say me if it's possible to edit driver names in 1.06 version (yes, i cracked the game sorry) I know that i can chnage drivers picture and livery but i cant find for drivers name

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 357 15.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 251 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 179 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 302 13.3%