F1 2017 F1 2017 Released for PC, Xbox One and PS4

F1 2017 The Game (Codemasters)

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
F1 2017 Released 4.jpg

The latest in a long line of officially licensed Formula One games is here... introducing Formula One 2017 by British development studio Codemasters, available for PC and console from today.

Featuring the official license to represent the 2017 FIA Formula One World Championship, F1 2017 is the eight successive title to be released under the watchful eye of Codemasters and looks set to become the biggest and most polished release from the franchise to date.

Oh and to celebrate, check out the new TV advert for the game;

Fully Realised Career Mode
Delve deeper than ever before into the new vehicle management features that require the player to balance resource to improve performance, keep the car reliable, and avoid punishing grid penalties.

Pick up and Play Multiplayer
With improved multiplayer matchmaking, new online stats and a levelling system, and all multiplayer session types will allow the option of racing either the 2017 cars or the classic cars.

12 Absolute Classics
The classic cars are integrated into the career mode, and can be raced in both Single Class and Multi Class Races. There are also new ‘invitational events’ with a variety of exciting gameplay modes that include: Overtake, Pursuit, Checkpoint Challenge and Time Attack.
  • 1988 McLaren MP4/4 *
  • 1991 McLaren MP4/6
  • 1992 Williams FW14B
  • 1995 Ferrari 412 T2
  • 1996 Williams FW18
  • 1998 McLaren MP4-13
  • 2002 Ferrari F2002
  • 2004 Ferrari F2004
  • 2006 Renault R26
  • 2007 Ferrari F2007
  • 2008 McLaren MP4 -23
  • 2010 Red Bull Racing RB6
  • * (DLC car in F1 2017 Special Edition)
Research and Develop
We’ve completely overhauled how you progress your team in career mode. Many more options available to upgrade.

Alternate Track Layouts
A first for the franchise, as well as the 20 official circuits, there are four additional track variants added to the game.

Formula One 2017 is available for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC right now.

F1 2017 Released 2.jpg
F1 2017 Released 3.jpg
F1 2017 Released.jpg

For more news, community chat and some pretty awesome online racing action, check out the links below;

F1 2017 Sub Forum
F1 2017 Racing Clubs and Leagues
F1 2017 Modding Forum
F1 2017 Community Car Setup Forum

How are you finding the new game? Happy with your experience so far? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Don't need new tyres and brakes if you take cooldown laps and backoff as soon as you feel slight brake loss. Trackday is not the same thing as hotlapping and if you are smart about it you don't need track prepped car to do couple of laps if you have those cooldown laps in between for example.

You really don't need to tell me about track days mate. If you are doing proper track days where you actually want to drive fast rather than just do 2 laps the cool down etc then you can burn up your tyres and brakes very very quickly.
Non track prepped cars at track days are fine, but they just can't cut it and it becomes a chore, first thing is lose some weight upgrade brakes and better tyres, I've seen guys turn up in very expensive standard road sports cars and get slaughtered by guys in track prepped shopping cars like CLio 172/182 Civic's E36's etc etc.

Don't need new tyres and brakes if you take cooldown laps and backoff as soon as you feel slight brake loss. Trackday is not the same thing as hotlapping and if you are smart about it you don't need track prepped car to do couple of laps if you have those cooldown laps in between for example.

Regardless, a track day around here costs close to $300 (or more). The Rift is still on sale for $399, so I could do one track day for what it would cost me to get VR setup.

Regardless, a track day around here costs close to $300 (or more). The Rift is still on sale for $399, so I could do one track day for what it would cost me to get VR setup.

Exactly, the idea that somehow we are wasting money on good sim set ups is frankly absurd, I have realized that yes track days are fun but you always want to go faster (more money) and you soon see that a lot of cost is just burning money.
In a pound for pound shoot out between sim racing value for money and track days its a one horse race... obviously nothing stopping folk doing both but for me with 2 kids etc since i made the full switch to sim racing I see less wasted money, less agro from the wife and me actually collecting some cool tangible stuff which i can use whenever and at whatever time of day or night.

For me at least its a no brainer.

I've seen a few comments on facebook and youtube about "arcade", i've no played F12017 but had 2016 and i found it had less grip than AC / RFactor / PCars / iRacing and AMS versions of F1 cars... seems odd to me that the game to seems to make F1 cars harder to drive gets labeled a simcade at best when the others make it handle how i'd expect a car with massive aero help and fat rubber... whats all that about? The F1 cars in AC are fantastically easy to drive and feel the aero and tyres doing their job...

I've seen a few comments on facebook and youtube about "arcade", i've no played F12017 but had 2016 and i found it had less grip than AC / RFactor / PCars / iRacing and AMS versions of F1 cars... seems odd to me that the game to seems to make F1 cars harder to drive gets labeled a simcade at best when the others make it handle how i'd expect a car with massive aero help and fat rubber... whats all that about? The F1 cars in AC are fantastically easy to drive and feel the aero and tyres doing their job...
yeah, it seems it is time to re-evaluate the meaning of racing sim. Race cars are normally 'easy' to drive plus they are usually set up to be stiff, hence some bronze drivers struggling when sharing a car with a pro driver....anyway, I am happy that the misconception of driving on ice = realism can be laid to rest.

I'm looking forward to trying this game, as much as I love sim racing I get enough out of F1 on the xbox with the standard controller, takes me back to the PS1 days. F1 2016 was first time I'd bought since F1 2011 the most fun I've with a console version since Formula One '97.
Personally I really don't see the appeal of VR so no problem there.:D

Have you ever considered just driving a real car :whistling: I mean the amount of track days you could do for the price of a decent VR set :thumbsup:
You will not even get a decent set of tyres for your track day, let alone rent the track for half a day for the cost of a VR goggles, you should try it for yourself!

Launching a racing game in 2017 without VR support is a total non sense, the VR goggles are here to stay and the number of VR enthousiast is growing daily. For those not onboard yet, please enjoy watching your game on your 2D screen(s), the VR drivers will wait driving IN their favorite SIM, no problem.

Last edited:
First impressions of the game are very good. Off track the game has more to do this time, the classic cars drive nicely enough and it was great to do a lap of Monaco in Senna's old Mclaren with a manual clutch and shifter. R&D adds a lot to the career mode and it really feels like you have some way to make your car unique. Rather than the limited upgrades available in 2016 the new R&D tree offers 3 area's to specialize the car.

On track overtaking is no longer a simple slipstream and DRS affair. If you don't divebomb the AI and wait for a good opportunity its really challenging to get a good pass in, even with DRS. Fuel management seems to have been tweaked and you can no longer over fill the car and run rich for most of the race because it will damage engine components.

The FFB and handling are much improved, dare I say with all assists off the game is much more sim than arcade. Certainly it has many things that some of the so called "sims" are missing - animated pit crew, tyre compounds (I'm looking at you R3E) dynamic track and time of day features, a proper race strategy element which requires the player to manage their tyres, engine and associated components etc, changeable weather and alike. If you like F1 its well worth a look.

You will not even get a decent set of tyres for your track day, let alone rent the track for half a day for the cost of a VR goggles, you should try it for yourself!

Launching a racing game in 2017 without VR support is a total non sense, the VR goggles are here to stay and the number of VR enthousiast is growing daily. For those not onboard yet, please enjoy watching your game on your 2D screen(s), the VR drivers will wait driving IN their favorite SIM, no problem.
I've just sent my oculus rift back for a refund!

View attachment 208348
The latest in a long line of officially licensed Formula One games is here... introducing Formula One 2017 by British development studio Codemasters, available for PC and console from today.

Featuring the official license to represent the 2017 FIA Formula One World Championship, F1 2017 is the eight successive title to be released under the watchful eye of Codemasters and looks set to become the biggest and most polished release from the franchise to date.

Oh and to celebrate, check out the new TV advert for the game;

Fully Realised Career Mode
Delve deeper than ever before into the new vehicle management features that require the player to balance resource to improve performance, keep the car reliable, and avoid punishing grid penalties.

Pick up and Play Multiplayer
With improved multiplayer matchmaking, new online stats and a levelling system, and all multiplayer session types will allow the option of racing either the 2017 cars or the classic cars.

12 Absolute Classics
The classic cars are integrated into the career mode, and can be raced in both Single Class and Multi Class Races. There are also new ‘invitational events’ with a variety of exciting gameplay modes that include: Overtake, Pursuit, Checkpoint Challenge and Time Attack.
  • 1988 McLaren MP4/4 *
  • 1991 McLaren MP4/6
  • 1992 Williams FW14B
  • 1995 Ferrari 412 T2
  • 1996 Williams FW18
  • 1998 McLaren MP4-13
  • 2002 Ferrari F2002
  • 2004 Ferrari F2004
  • 2006 Renault R26
  • 2007 Ferrari F2007
  • 2008 McLaren MP4 -23
  • 2010 Red Bull Racing RB6
  • * (DLC car in F1 2017 Special Edition)
Research and Develop
We’ve completely overhauled how you progress your team in career mode. Many more options available to upgrade.

Alternate Track Layouts
A first for the franchise, as well as the 20 official circuits, there are four additional track variants added to the game.

Formula One 2017 is available for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC right now.

View attachment 208346 View attachment 208347 View attachment 208349

For more news, community chat and some pretty awesome online racing action, check out the links below;

F1 2017 Sub Forum
F1 2017 Racing Clubs and Leagues
F1 2017 Modding Forum
F1 2017 Community Car Setup Forum

How are you finding the new game? Happy with your experience so far? Let us know in the comments section below!

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 282 15.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 190 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 192 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 140 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 249 13.4%