F1 2016 Modding Questions Thread

What do u mean reinstalled everything??

The whole game??
The software apps?

erp archiver is in folder like hex so they are not installed on PC,

sorry to be a pain but please elaborate, 6 hours at this now.

Above says save as DTX5?? I thought we was saving as DTX 1???
You need to save as DXT5 if the texture has an alpha channel. Otherwise you need to save it as DXT1. I reinstalled Noesis and put a new code on it and everything works fine. You need to write your own phython to your liking so it works as well.

When i edit ''marussia_decal.tga'' it's all correctly, but when i save the file and put into the game the car it's invisible.
(I edit it in paint.net)
Sorry for my english i'm from spain

Last edited:
The incardriver.erp reads directly from the eg. genBranded_22.tga_mipmaps file over at chracters/drivers/male/gen22_unbranded. I have tested this by changing to a different helmet then the incardriver.erp updates automatically!!

I cant seem to change the incardriver.erp directly, it wont let me import my new dds file helmet texture or mipmaps file. Am I missing something here?

What do yuo mean also by 128x128 (pixels), you mean resize my DDS and import then?

Can you please explain by step as I dont seem to be getting it?

This is what I get, PS, my modded helmet was already there in the incardriver.erp, I didnt have to import, when i try to import any way my modded DDS, I get the below

jpaVJrx.png

Do you have the files that resulted in this error? If you can send them to me, I'd like to investigate it.

The incardriver.erp reads directly from the eg. genBranded_22.tga_mipmaps file over at chracters/drivers/male/gen22_unbranded. I have tested this by changing to a different helmet then the incardriver.erp updates automatically!!
I doubt that, maybe for the career helmets, definitely not for the rest of the helmets.

I cant seem to change the incardriver.erp directly, it wont let me import my new dds file helmet texture or mipmaps file. Am I missing something here?
I cant help you with the archiver, maybe the new version is bugged, I dunno. I used only the old version, its quite easy and there are tutorials for that on the forums. Maybe Petar can help you out.

What do yuo mean also by 128x128 (pixels), you mean resize my DDS and import then?
The helmets in the .erp are 128x128p DXT1 DDS, thats the format to use if you wanna import a file. But ofc you can use bigger textures. I used 512x512 for my helmet and 256x256 for the specular map (instead of 32x32p), but keep the compression and pixel ratio.

Last edited:
Do you have the files that resulted in this error? If you can send them to me, I'd like to investigate it.
Its possible because i assiated all erp files with erp archiver v3, un assiated and v2 works fine, it replaces the texture and thats it, v3 still tries to create a new mipmaps file, so when i open the incardriver.erp with version 3, its fine i can view and export, but when i import a texture it open the windows dialouge to open the tnew texture and then asks me to choose the mipmaps file for example the helmet one and then replaces it.

Just a note on how mipmaps and textures in erp files work:

The textures in erp files are connected to the mipmaps files. It is all one texture. The mipmaps file has a couple of mipmaps from the texture, and then the texture in the erp file has the rest of the mipmaps. ERP Archiver 3 will combine these two parts into one dds when exporting, and will do the reverse when importing the dds.

For example, a 1024x1024 texture might have its two highest mipmaps in the mipmaps file, and the rest in the erp texture.
mipmaps file: contains 1024x1024, and 512x512 mipmaps,
erp texture file: contains the rest of the mipmaps; 256x256, 128x128, and so on

That means that any previous mods that only edited one or the other, and didn't separate the mipmaps in the dds are not done correctly. I hope that makes sense. Let me know if you need something cleared up.

Yea, thats what we figured out last week, otherwise you wouldnt see any working mods.
I can only talk about the helmet textures, but those clearly consist of 5 layers. Otherwise they would have a different file size. The helmet .mipmaps use 4096 to 256, then the .erp starts with 128.

The game doesnt seem to utilize any lower mipmaps from the big file at all, maybe even the same with the .erp layer. So it should even work without any additional layers, I think I already tested that last week. You can clearly see a lack of mipmap use ingame.
I guess they did that to save alot of memory. The high res is pretty much only loaded in onboards and very close camera shots. That way there is usually only one car with high res textures loaded. The .erp part stays in memory all the time.
Look at 5:00 in this video:
You can clearly see the two main layers and you'll see that there isnt anything between those if you play the game.

Just a note on how mipmaps and textures in erp files work:

The textures in erp files are connected to the mipmaps files. It is all one texture. The mipmaps file has a couple of mipmaps from the texture, and then the texture in the erp file has the rest of the mipmaps. ERP Archiver 3 will combine these two parts into one dds when exporting, and will do the reverse when importing the dds.

For example, a 1024x1024 texture might have its two highest mipmaps in the mipmaps file, and the rest in the erp texture.
mipmaps file: contains 1024x1024, and 512x512 mipmaps,
erp texture file: contains the rest of the mipmaps; 256x256, 128x128, and so on

That means that any previous mods that only edited one or the other, and didn't separate the mipmaps in the dds are not done correctly. I hope that makes sense. Let me know if you need something cleared up.

Petar is the anyway you can find how to rename the files inside an erp file, for example, I am trying to replace the Williams car with the Mclaren car erps and textures then repaint the Mclaren textures in the williams folder instead of mclaren_ with williams_ then repaint the textures to over come the Martini mirror issue on skin. I managed to replace all the files and textures for the williams to the mclaren car but cannot rename or import into the erp as the new williams.erp file i now have inside the .erp is all mclaren_, can you do your magic to allow renaming of files inside?

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 303 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 212 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 203 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 154 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 269 13.6%