F1 2015 F1 2015 - Wish list & Discussion

F1 2015 The Game (Codemasters)
Nice post @Robert Waddell, sometimes it's difficult to see things from other people perspectives.
Here's some from a PC side of things lol.

In the PC community games like Forza, GT and even Project CARS (i have very little experience with them so i'm gonna keep my mouth shut) are often derided for having arcady driving... if those games, more or less regarded as better than the F1s, get this kind of derision... Codemasters has a tough road ahead of them.

A big problem i see is that they are "afraid" of their fanbase, they make curbs harder "cry babies" come and complain "curbs are spinning me, i see Hamilton attacking the curbs every GP Codemasters is s...".

Never mind that pros don't spin over the curbs because they go at it at the right speed an angle while the babies just want to run over them... not to mention that these guys are running the car with maximum stiffness and as low as possible.

Codemasters could be doing better, but because people complain about curbs spinning them, too much understeer, brakes are locking... they stop short, way short.
We end up with a game where you can drive over curbs, even grass, with no loss of traction... and that's just not good enough.

And from a very selfish point of view i also "take offence" on their efforts to make driving with a pad better while they do nothing about their lackluster FFB on wheels.

From a personal standpoint, me being a F1 fan, i had taken a break from racing games after so many years with no official F1 games on PC.
After a couple of modded seasons in GP4 and Rfactor i lost interest and stopped...

Codemasters brought me back(and i thank them for it), but their efforts leave me looking for more(now i'm on both GSC and AC bandwagons and looking forward to Project Cars), they brought back the hunger, yet they haven't come close to satiate it.

Nice post yourself.

When I picked up gaming about three years ago after living the women, racing, working, drinking lifestyle, etc., it was a pleasant surprise at how realistic a monitor or T.V. screen could be, and how detailed tracks could be. As a computer neophyte, (well Apple fan anyway, at the time) I naturally got a console. Then I got some racing games. It was easy to impress me for a while until I really started to think about my experiences vs. how the cars reacted to "simulated" the racing experience. Since I had never driven an F1 car, there was nothing to compare it to, but I did pick up on on general "truth" in the gaming world...it's practice at gaming, not at racing, that gets you faster on the games. You may be saying "duh" to that, and I can't say I'd blame you, but I really was hoping to get a leg up having really raced. Well, no dice. And then I got (sadly) into Forza4, which in my opinion is less SIM than any of the games I have played, save for maybe GRID2. I started to tinker with cars that I actually owned (2009 Mini Cooper) or raced (1994 Nissan 300ZX...I think that's the one at least). Not even close. Not even an approximation. That's when I realized that these games are not made to simulate racing, but to simulate the experience thinking of racing (if that makes sense...you know, no bug on the windshield or torque steer in F1). It's like a true flight simulator...that would bore the hell out of 95% of the people out there. My theory is that it's the same with racing games.

You have a good point about people wanting to just blitz F1 cars through tracks. I've heard comments (no names) when F1 2013 was released like "wow, you can really throw this baby into the corners this year...they fixed that horrible understeer." Well, firstly, you don't "throw" an F1 car anywhere. Another crazy thing they do in F1, that you mentioned, but I think is worth re-mentioning, is the brake. Raise your hand if you have ever flat spotted your tire in F1 2013. Didn't think so. And the way the brakes are simply either "on" or "off" would result in hundreds per race, effectively putting you out before it began.

Another thing you are spot on about is this...I made it a point of turning off all assists (including anything but cockpit view) when I first started playing...and still do. But pad users with assists (and many without) regularly kick my ass, even in Forza5. Now these are in cars I raced, mind you, where the first thing you were taught to do was to turn them all off. I heard lobbymasters say all the time "well, we allow assists because you are really faster without assists" and it annoys the hell out of me (although I stay silent usually) because I know damn well that 95% of the games out there (I dunno, maybe Assetto or iRacing is not like this?) reward pad play with assists on, especially stability control, as in Forza5. Certainly some are faster w/o assists, and I admire them, but that just brings be back to the first point I made about the un-reality of F1 games.

Personally, I'm banking on pCARS, since I seem to hear many PC users mention them with AC and iRacing, but with a better racing experience. That's the holy grail...to get a car to react negatively, for instance, to jerking it around with a controller or driving on grass like most people would think of as driving on ice (and these are minor) BUT at the same time delivering that gritty, shaky, glancing left and right, terrified feeling that you have when pushing a real race car. While I know it can never happen, this was just a long way to agree with you...F1 has a long way to go to get that feeling, because ALL of us would be terrified and unable to drive an F1 car for even a lap at half speed. I'm not saying you have to be that hardcore, but you need to make it more punishing if you want a real sense of accomplishment.

To end on a positive note, Forza5 handling is 100 times better than Forza4 handling. The game still is still not a very good attempt at any sort of realism, but the progress they have made with their handling gives me hope that companies that were ahead of them and "got it" or who consult real racers and the community, like pCARS, will deliver something special. I'll still get F1 2015 because I can suspend my disbelief. What's frustrating are the folks that don't realize that's exactly what you are doing with most games...so they whine.

Last edited:
I get what you are saying, even Codemasters admits it, the games are designed to give you the thrill of being an F1 (or driving a "La Ferrari" in Forza's case) driver in an effortless way.

But for those of us looking to go the extra mile it ends up being kinda underwhelming.

I wish Codemasters put more effort into making the game a challenge instead of appeasing complainers.
I wish they would let us actually tune the balance of the car instead of giving us pretty innocuous settings.
And i wish they would put half as much effort to improve their gameplay with a wheel as they do with a pad.

Maybe Project Cars will be a huge success and give the other Racer developers a much needed kick in the balls.

I would prefer classic cars again and more classic tracks, too. And there could be cars from different eras - two or three from 50s + 60s +70s. And some from 2000 - 2005 seasons. And tracks like Donington, Clermont-Ferrand, Magny- Cours or Adelaide would be nice. And one dream - old Nurburgring...

I would prefer classic cars again and more classic tracks, too. And there could be cars from different eras - two or three from 50s + 60s +70s. And some from 2000 - 2005 seasons. And tracks like Donington, Clermont-Ferrand, Magny- Cours or Adelaide would be nice. And one dream - old Nurburgring...

old Spa

....wait!

that'll be in pCARS.

If they aren't offering dedicated server support for PC in 2015 they are forcing me to start a petition page for it :)

After six years of this rubbish playerside hosting its enough. Time for proper PC support for online racing Codies as we want a full blown PC league :)

It will not be called "F1 2015" since Codemasters will not have enough money to buy the official license, which is one of the most stupidly costly and way too restrictive license I have ever seen.

It will be called something else which will not cause legal problems with the stupidly greedy FOM. The car models & textures will also be slightly different than the real ones, except, perhaps, they might be a lot easier to mod, a bit like AC, so users will be able to enter drivers names themselves (to go around the effin commercial restrictions of Bernie's castle house...).
i find it funny because one of my mates works at the Birmingham studio and they have the licence till 2016

Well, I'm a 360 refugee. Someone needs to take the lead and start organizing a F1 2015 season on the xbox one that follows the real F1 calendar (since that's what the game will do by using updates, DLC, etc.).

Do we have the participation level to do this? How many are going to get the F1 2015 title and want to do something like this? (No assists preferably).

In F1 2015, we NEED to see at least three major changes within only the gameplay.

1. Safety Car
This is really important for me in gameplay. The Safety Car is horrid in F1 Games and always has been; in Formula One the crash/debris that caused the Safety Car doesn't just magically disappear in the blink of an eye. Surely the crash site should stay for at least 1/2 tours of the circuit behind the SC. Also I would like to see a delta time displayed to match the time behind the Safety Car instead of the ridiculously slow pace that F1 2013 shows. Also I would like to see Red Flag situations like the first one in Suzuka; rain delaying the race. If a SC is out, the cars should file into the pits with a red flag in the wet. I would love to see full control over your vehicle under SC too.

2. Accessability
In F1 2010, you had control over your car in the pit lane with the pit limiter and the braking into the pit lane. I would love to see full control in the pit lane; so you control everything in the pit lane. You control the braking into the pit lane, the pit lane speed limiter, the turning into the pit box, the exitting and everything. Also, I would love to see more settings accessible with more engine mixes, brake bias adjustments (5 preset percentages which can be adjusted in the garage before the race).

3. Graphics
The graphics in F1 2013 are way too arcade-like, hopefully PS4 can fix this to make it more realistic. Hopefully the graphics should be more realistic with the rain drops, sunlight differences, spray affecting vision of other cars, flag points and lights. I would also want to see official FIA graphics (the speedometer and lap counter). This also means that I'd like to get rid of the arcade style graphics such as the starting lights and flags (digitally remasted).

These are just a few things I'd like to see. ;)

I would like for the game to be a full sim... i mean all cars, tracks are Licensed so what they are waiting for...
we cant even control the cars in the pits! And you cant evevn change the gear bx setting in setups in 2014 game.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back