F1 2014 F1 2014 on Next Gen Consoles, will PC benefit?

F1 2014 The Game (Codemasters)

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
I haven't read the hardware specs anywhere yet, but I can imagine that CM will release F1 2014 on the new consoles Xbox One (why not Xbox Four? :whistling:) and PS4.

With their improved graphics and more powerful processors will this result in a next gen game for the PC as well?

Graphicwise the F1 series have always looked okay to me but on the handling and physics side there has been a steep decline since 2010. Hopefully the 2014 will be an improvement again. Hardware can't be a limitation anymore.

I can't see CM dropping current gen support with such a large install base out there for the next release. Maybe a couple of years down the road. So any changes/improvements will be slow to come and not suddenly with the next release.

Turn10 went next gen with Forza so why cant the F1 series? Think the former has a much bigger userbase and its now the flagship racing title of the Xbox One

With the F1 games sales already declining for years I can't understand the decision to only develop for old gen platforms.

Since i've sold my PS3 and I am PC player only and I feel that when devs stick to old gen it does affect my PC experience as well since this is a multiplatform game.

I am so looking forward to a F1 racing game that uses the full potential the PC has to offer.

With the F1 games sales already declining for years I can't understand the decision to only develop for old gen platforms.

Neither can I.

Nor do I see them dropping support for them right now.

Once the installed base of newer consoles reach numbers that make it financially feasible to drop the older platforms, then they will. Probably in the next year or two.

Neither can I.

Nor do I see them dropping support for them right now.

Once the installed base of newer consoles reach numbers that make it financially feasible to drop the older platforms, then they will. Probably in the next year or two.
The problem is that in a year or two or three the hardware in the console will be lagging behind the PC, and if it can't be upgraded, then the PC users could be in the same boat as before. Piss-poor ports from out of date consoles, not fully utilizing the power available on a reasonably decent PC.

Already only one console is natively 1080p (PS4), the XBox 1 uses up-scaled 720p as far as I know.

Having said all that, we are still in a better position PC-wise, when the new generation of consoles really catch on and become the norm.

There will always be a gap between PCs and consoles.

If one believes Microsoft, DX12 will double XBox One output.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/03/20/gdc-microsoft-reveals-directx-12-xbox-one-improvements.

Sony, AMD, NVidia are also clamoring that they will derive benefits from DX12.

Course even with all the stars aligning it will take a couple of years before gamers see any benefits.

However, I believe the difference today is that an important threshold has been reached - 1080p @60Hz gaming. Beyond that is gravy and having the hardware to support even higher resolution gaming will be mainly within the domain of hardcore gaming enthusiasts.

Expecting word this week on what Codies are up to..

Pretty certain in the next few days we'll have news for certain, but it appears they'll be making the game for next generation and PC, and will be watering it down for 360 and PS3

I think they'll also be announcing next generation rallying too!!

Dreaming, but I want a new TOCA

The problem is that in a year or two or three the hardware in the console will be lagging behind the PC, and if it can't be upgraded, then the PC users could be in the same boat as before. Piss-poor ports from out of date consoles, not fully utilizing the power available on a reasonably decent PC.

Already only one console is natively 1080p (PS4), the XBox 1 uses up-scaled 720p as far as I know.

Having said all that, we are still in a better position PC-wise, when the new generation of consoles really catch on and become the norm.

Not really bud.. Some games are 720.. Mostly the games that are cross-platform for some reason (the shooters for example).

Forza 5 is 1080 as far as I know.

Here's some of me footage messing around on Forza with COMS. Its a dream to play, and if this is one of the first games made for it I'm sure both the One and PS4 will have a lot of potential.

Expecting word this week on what Codies are up to..

Pretty certain in the next few days we'll have news for certain, but it appears they'll be making the game for next generation and PC, and will be watering it down for 360 and PS3

I think they'll also be announcing next generation rallying too!!

Dreaming, but I want a new TOCA
Where did you hear this? and what is TOCA?

Not sure if I'll buy it this year.

I've been spoiled by new sims like Assetto Corsa that have rendered the Codemasters games redundant.

However, I was thinking about this the other night, and I cannot see how Codemasters will make F1 2014 any good without delving considerably into the full blown simulation market. These new regulations and power unit systems are so complex, I really cannot see how a simcade approach will be able to cover all of these new bases.

If they make the game more sim than arcade, but advertise and market it in the same way that leading arcade racers do, then it could be a very very successful title, and i'll consider buying it.

However, AC is also scheduled to release the laserscanned Nordschleife + the Dream car pack in September, and that is also the same time at which Codemasters release their games. So... I know which one i'll be spending my time with ;)

TLDR: If CM go further into the simulation aspect of their games, then they should be able to do some justice to these new regulations. Another sim-cade release simply will not be able to cut it.

Where did you hear this? and what is TOCA?

TOCA (Race driver) was a racing game series (3 titles i ntotal, I believe) produced by codemasters. I played 2nd and 3rd, and I have to say, not being perfect, there were quite OK.

TOCA3 covered endless amount of cars (from karts to F1, but many others), so the simulation was so-so in some models, but still, the amount of cars, tracks, quality of the game... light years better product than anything that codemasters have released ever since.

Not sure if I'll buy it this year.

I've been spoiled by new sims like Assetto Corsa that have rendered the Codemasters games redundant.

However, I was thinking about this the other night, and I cannot see how Codemasters will make F1 2014 any good without delving considerably into the full blown simulation market. These new regulations and power unit systems are so complex, I really cannot see how a simcade approach will be able to cover all of these new bases.

If they make the game more sim than arcade, but advertise and market it in the same way that leading arcade racers do, then it could be a very very successful title, and i'll consider buying it.

However, AC is also scheduled to release the laserscanned Nordschleife + the Dream car pack in September, and that is also the same time at which Codemasters release their games. So... I know which one i'll be spending my time with ;)

TLDR: If CM go further into the simulation aspect of their games, then they should be able to do some justice to these new regulations. Another sim-cade release simply will not be able to cut it.

I'll be taking a pass this season as well, F1 2013 feels very underwhelming when you are used to AC.

I don't get the Simcade approach... to me it seems like they come up short of satisfying the hardcores and are way too boring for people that just want to drive dream cars and bang wheels...

In F1 by nature you are often racing against people who aren't even in your screen.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 195 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 195 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 143 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 251 13.3%