F1 2014 F1 2014 - Ideas and Wish List

F1 2014 The Game (Codemasters)
~Driver Market- At the end of the season, have drivers changing teams.

~Pre-season and In-season testing.

~"Long Race Weekend"- Why have the FP1 and FP2 tyres in the menu when we can't do FP1 or FP2? I want a FULL Race Weekend. Also if they introduce FP1 and FP2 in the game then have the test drivers in the practise sessions as well.

~Drivers' Briefings- Attend a drivers briefing to receive all of the rules and information of the race weekend.

~Telemetry- Be able to observe the telemetry from your laps and your team mates laps to see where you can improve.

~Replay library- Be able to save and store your race footage in a library and watch it back.

~Customisable Helmets- Give us a helmet editor. Let us create our own designs. THIS MUST BE FOR CONSOLES ASWELL! If this can't be done then let us at least customise the colour schemes.

~Post Race interviews- This doesn't do much but does help that feeling of immersion. Have multiple questions based on how the race went. Different ones for incidents etc...

~Improved AI- The current AI back off too early when challenging on the inside of a corner. Make them be more aggressive and make their tyres wear a bit more than they currently do. Improve their lap 1 performance.

~Garage Interaction- When you come back into the garage, you should be able to interact with your race engineer and have options on the screen to select such as, "Too much oversteer", Too much understeer".

~Fix online- Too many connectivity and lag issues.
~Co-op Career changes- Have 2-12 players in a Co-op championship and be able to be on separate teams.

~Gears- The real drivers have a choice of flashing lights on the wheel or a beep in the headphones to know when to change gear. The PS4 controller has a headphone socket and so does the Xbox controller so let us have the option of flashing lights or a beep through the headphones.
~More camera views

~Podium
- If we finish 1st, 2nd or 3rd then have a cutscene of the drivers on the podium.

~Fix the Penalty System

~Improved Communication
- Make the engineer talk to you a bit more about things that matter. Be able to talk to the engineer if you have a mic (there could a list of interactive phrases such as, "Where is my team mate?", "Where can I improve?",
~Parade Lap Cutscenes

~Replays
- When watching a replay, let us choose which car we can watch during the replay, I like watching replays sometimes to see how I did but I'd like to be able to watch it from other cars. Possibly instead of focussing on the one car, how about making the replay of all of the highlights of the race.
~Warm Up Laps- Have warm up laps before the race starts.
~Multiplayer- I absolutely love racing with people online, but the thing I hate is when people crash you off on purpose. How about have a license points system online like they have introduced into the current 2014 season so that if people just want to ruin a race then they will receive points on their license and if they get 12 points then they get banned from online for 24 hours.

~R&D- Make the upgrades on the car more visible. I'm always looking around the car to see whether I can notice any new parts but I never seem to.

~Pit Lane- Have an assist whcih can be on or off which allows you to control the car all of the way through the pit lane and into the pit box when making a stop.

~Mirrors- Make the reflection in the mirrors a bit better quality so we can see whats behind better.

~Drivers' view camera angle

Totally agree with everything on here (good to see I'm not the only one asking for better mirrors). So much of it we see being requested every year though. Codemasters need to either start implementing the stuff we want or drop the licence to a company that's going to take F1 games to the next level. I'd love to see what 2K Sports could do with F1.

~Commentary- I really want Murray Walker commentating on my races. Even bring in Crofty and Brundle.
(Be nice if our character could have a voice whatever we choose him to say to the commentators.)

~Gender Choice/ Skin Choice- Find it a bit unfair that some people who love Formula who are either girls, or black men that can't get a option on what their characters skin color or gender is, I'm not even asking for actual in depth design of a character. Just simple Skin, and Gender options.

~Fix online- Way to many lag problems with the game online. Destroy the experience you could have online as well.

~Drivers' Briefings- Just feel like this would be cool if they incorporated it into the game.
(Not one I'm big on found it in a post in this forum.)

~Helmets Customization- The helmets on the game aren't as bad as they could have been. I still feel that the game could somehow incorporate sponsorship on my helmet, makes the game look more realistic, and it also gives my driver, or everyone else's driver a more diverse look. I would love to be able to be in Red Bull's team, and be able to have a Red Bull logo on my helmet with the other sponsors of the team I'm driving that I'm driving for.

~Numbers Customization
- Even the other drivers in Formula One have their own Number with either their flag designed into the number, or they have the plain old teams number that their given. I would appreciate a bit for customization in the game, but then again I'm all about my own customizing.

~Glove Customization- Even some of the Formula One in real life have their own customized gloves.

~More Flags- I am from San Marino, Italy. They have their very own flag, which isn't in the game; so I use the simple Italian Flag, but England is in the UK. They get their own England Flag, so don't Scotland, Northern Ireland, and Wales etc.. They don't even have Sicily's own flag, their is probably a lot more countries in that situation closer to the UK example that I gave.
(Not a big deal just thought I'd make it aware. I currently live in the US, but I am from San Marino, Italy. The other portion of my family is from the Island of Sicily. I also do speak a bit of Italian.)

~Improved Communication- Very annoying listening to him repeat the same tips, and tricks (even though it's not really either a trick or tip) in every single race. The manager well at least repeat what he says in one race in the career mode at least four to six times, maybe even more!

~Mirrors- Make the reflection in the mirrors a bit better quality so we can see whats behind better.

~Replay library- Be able to save and store your race footage in a library and watch it back.

~Driver Market- At the end of the season, have drivers changing teams. Would love to see if Alexander Rossi got taken from his young driver testing, and but into a actual racing team. Even some of the other drivers from the young drivers testing. Gets old doing the season again with the drivers being in the same team, it's okay if a few are in the same team, but not all of them.

~Team Management- I would really love to be able to bring back a team that went bankrupt, and maybe turn it into the next big team.

~Cars Designing / Uniform Designing
- The title might be misleading, but I really don't like that when I take a drivers position in his car they keep his name, and flag on the car itself, and on the uniform.
(Not a big deal, but I still once in awhile well see it in the cut scenes with my plain helmet with no sponsorship's on it, and it just ruins my own independent feel as a driver for that team.

~Fix/More Tracks- This one would be nice to have because some of the tracks aren't really update like the Canadian one, I've seen countless bushes be halfway glitch threw the walls. Plus this would be nice as well, because if the Drivers Market that I listed up somewhere above, would be incorporated into the game then we would also have new tracks to drive in, even if they're in a different order to race on.

~Damage- I'm pretty sure if you tap another driver's car tire you would both spin out. I'm pretty sure if you hit a wall at full speed, or even spun fast into a wall.The car wouldn't only lose it's tires, or the front wing. I'm pretty sure it would be smashed in
F1-Spa-Belgium-crash-2012-blog480.jpg

(Maybe something like their game Grid?)

~Podium Celebrations- Really would like to see the Podium celebrations rather then just a simple cheering with the three top finish placed drivers in the race.

Got a lot more to list, but I ran out of space...

~Unique driver behavior system- Grid has a Behavior System on if the driver is aggressive or if the driver is just plain skilled. I would also appreciate this because it might help make the racing on the game a lot more realistic rather then a plain perfect race. I've went through races seeing Pastor Maldonado getting 3rd or 4th in a race, heck I've seen him have a better season then the greats like Sebastian Vettel, and Michael Schumacher. Like to see the drivers in the real world crash on the game once in a while.

• Deleted member 161052

My tracks idea here (2014 tracks not included)...
  • Fuji International Speedway
  • Circuit de Nevers Magny-Cours
  • Okayama International Circuit
  • Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez
  • Adelaide Street CIrcuit
  • Kyalami
  • Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps (85-93, 94 and 95-05 should be included)
  • Imola (1994)
  • Old Hockenheimring

I still play F1 2011 so forgive me if some of the things I've listed are in 2012/2013.....

Mirrors
If Codemasters only change one thing for 2014 please please let it be mirrors that are actually useful! Formula 1 drivers don't press a button on their wheel that magically shows them whats happening behind, they use their mirrors. The mirrors at the moment are useless unless the car behind is right behind you.

DRS
In real F1, drivers get a beep in their ear when DRS is available to them. In the game we are simply pressing the button hoping that DRS is available, and you cannot use it illegally.

Engineer
Now I'm no game developer, but surely its not that difficult to record heaps of talking from the engineer so we don't have to hear the same thing over and over again! The engineer should be constantly giving us information, but useful, in depth and accurate information. Also, as I like to race with no OSD, it would be nice if the team told me from time to time what lap it was. And, it would be great if the engineer could use our name! We could just choose from a list of names that the engineers uses for us. If our name isn't there, just select an option that is generic. Not a necessity but just kind of cool.

Media Interactions
I've heard that these were taken out of 2012 and 2013 and I cannot understand why. There is so much more to be a Formula 1 driver than driving from the green light to the chequered flag. Interviews need to be more regular, and less predictable. Interviews in a range of places though: On the podium, in the paddock, on the grid, in the interview centre or whatever they call it. (and all in first person) But however good they are, interviews are a must for F1 2014!

Cutscenes
Cutscenes are fantastic, but they really need to be in first person. Just like you get a first person view in the car, you should get the same view when talking to your engineer, or arguing with a driver. There's actually no need to be able to make a character in my opinion because you should be just seeing out of your own eyes. There needs to be more of these as well.

Weather
Way way way too much grip at the moment in the rain! I race an open wheeler in real life and its basically constantly out of control in the rain (and you cannot see anything at all). You drive with your fingertips and with split second reactions, in the game its not even that different to the dry, and I don't think the AI even slow down! Which brings me to my next point.....

AI
You know what... forget the mirrors. If Codemasters change one thing for 2014 it needs to be the AI. I don't race online as I don't have the time, I just do career mode. I basically have to let the AI through for them to pass me. If I block, they should dive to the outside. When I brake, they should try to outbrake me. If I'm down the inside, they should squeeze me over. (but not off the track) They just need to be more aggressive! But aggressive doesn't mean drilling you off the track like the AI did in Race Driver 3.

DIY-Drive it yourself!
When its time to race, I should drive out the garage, down pit lane, around to the grid and park. Then do a warm up lap, and control the start by myself. The starts in Formula 1 are so important, so why is the computer controlling it? Then when it comes to a pit stop, please let me slow down by myself, hit my own speed limiter, go down the pit lane, and drive into my own pit box. Again, such an important part of racing yet we don't get to experience it. At the end of the race, do a cool down lap, some burnouts if I want, and into parc ferme.

Pre Grid
Just on that last point, after I've driven out of the garage and I'm on the grid I should get out the car (in first person) and sit there or whatever. Walk around and talk to Martin Brundle for an interview. Have my photo taken. This definitely needs to be skippable but it would just add to the whole immersion factor.

Career
Ok, now in F1 2011, all I did was click career mode and I got offered 5 contracts - including Williams and Force India. Now yes, some drivers start their careers in these teams, but they come with a LOT of financial backing. We should really be starting from Caterham or Marussia and working up from there. (Or 3rd driver in a higher team) Yes 3rd driver, this needs to be in F1 2014! You could be a test driver in F1 2006 if I remember rightly and it got annoying when you couldn't get a race drive but guess what, welcome to motor racing! But, just clicking career mode and jumping into the Australian Grand Prix seems a bit odd to me. (yes I know you do the Young Driver Test in 2012 and 2013) Any aspiring racer knows how long your career is before you get to Formula 1. I think we should at least get a taste of this in F1 2014. Maybe just GP3 and GP2, but the more lower categories the better. They wouldn't have to be perfectly licensed with teams and drivers just let the cars feel pretty close to that series. Maybe Formula Ford, Formula Renault 2.0 / 3.5, GP3, GP2, etc. Also, now that this is Codemasters 5th year of Formula 1, why can't we have a 5 year career (in Formula 1, after completing some lower categories) beginning in 2010, with all the 2010 cars and tracks, and progressing through to 2014. This way we could experience rule changes, driver changes, track changes and performance changes. I don't know what the deal is with licensing but it was done in F1 Challenge more than 10 years ago so surely it could be done now?

Damage and mechanical problems
In 2001, Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix 4 had plenty of mechanical problems of which both you and the AI could receive. Over a decade on, all we get is DRS not working from time to time?! Er, have Codemasters ever watched a Formula 1 race? All the cars have mechanical issues at some point, and some teams are more prone to it than others. And damage, well, if I touch the car in front there should be consquences. This is open wheel racing not touring car racing. The damage needs to be a lot better, and a lot more punishsing. Yes its annoying, and yes it needs to be on a sliding scale for those of us who just want some arcade style fun. But for those of us who want a decent F1 sim, the damage needs to be a load better. Including wheels hanging from the suspension, which I don't think I've ever seen on a game, just wheels coming off (which lets be honest, doesn't happen all that often. They usually just kinda hang and flop around)

Historics
Personally, I'm not interested in this, but there are plenty of people who are. In my opinion, it just needs to be optional as it was in 2013 :)

Commentary
I guess commentary could be optional. Personally, I want to see and hear what an F1 driver sees and hears - not commentary! However, while outside of the car, maybe we could hear ambient commentary like you do at the actual race track.

FP1 and 2
Not sure why we don't have these at the moment but we should. I usually just jump into Qually but some of us want practice so we should get all 3 sessions. And with the split qualifying, why do we get in the car for every session? Drivers stay in their cars until they get knocked out or until they are finished, not in the 5 minutes between sessions.

A bit more immersion
We get a first person view getting in the cars, so we should be able to say if we want to get out of the car in practice / qualifying. Then we can just stand in the garage until we want to get back in the car. Also, we could walk down pit lane, onto our team's computers and whatever. These aren't necessities, but they just add to the immersion factor.

Voice Recognition
Not at all expecting this for 2014, but for years to come this would be really cool if it was done well. All our smart phones have voice recognition these days, so why can't games? This way we could actually interact with our engineer while racing, as well as the media. This would be a fantastic selling point to young karters who need to learn how to do interviews too!

The Bottom Line
At the end of the day, we have to ask ourselves - Why do we play these games? The answer - because we are not Formula 1 drivers, and we want to discover their world and live it for ourselves! Everything just needs to be as realistic and as immersive as possible! Please Codemasters...... make this one amazing!!!!! I don't mind waiting until November or December for F1 2014 if it is going to be seriously good!

Just a side note for us PC users....... it would be great if we could use the mouse! It's a bit annoying have to go through the menus with a keyboard when I use a wheel to race.

drivers talk with team radio to give information.

podium is one of the important things

new 2014 rules and car changes also 2015 circuits and new haas racing team(if it is possible)

variety of victory celebration in car and with team

Just things that make it seem more real, instead of a game. Like formation lap, getting into position, perhaps sitting on the grid choosing setup and strategy with presenters and grid walks going on in the background. Variety of race engineer voices. Pre/post race interviews. I really want it to go back to "living the life"

1. A return to the ''live the life'' style of F1 2010 and to some extent F1 2011
2. Intelligent Race Engineer
3. AI affected by tire wear to the same extent as the player, would like to see one or two AI drivers pushing too hard and having their tyres go off the cliff.
4. AI performing different strategies to each other depending on tire wear and weather.
5. A real events 2014 mode updated by DLC and if you have 2013 the chance to take part in 2013 real events mode.
6. Team performances and driver form varying during the course of career (This was somewhat in 2012, 2013 I barely noticed it though)
7. Option to skip the young drivers test if you have done it in previous games
8. Better damage model

• Physics, mechanics, graphics and audio to be as realistic as possible.
  • Voice interaction for Race Engineer.
  • Team specific R&D (McLaren should focus on downforce, Mercedes brakes or tyre wear, Ferrari and Red Bull top speed and acceleration).
  • Telemetry.
  • Driving style related R&D (if you have an aggressive driving style then you could get more aggressive parts to make the car suit your driving).
  • PR Conferences, media and interviews.
  • Formation lap at the beginning of every race.
  • Podium cut scene.
  • Remove the braking feature when you come off the track and enforce more strict track boundary warnings and penalties WHERE NECESSARY.
  • Be able to choose whether you want to control the car through the whole pit lane when making a pit stop or pulling in to the garage.
  • Pre-season testing.
  • FP1 and FP2
  • Drivers' briefings.
  • Replay library to watch stored replays.
  • Customisable helmets + helmet editor
  • Improved AI.
  • You should have options on the monitor such as, "Too much oversteer", Too much understeer".
  • Fix online!
  • More people in a Co-op championship + be able to choose separate teams.
  • In F1 the drivers have a choice of flashing light or a bleep in their headphones to tell them when to change gear. Do the same because both the PS4 and XBOX One have headphone jacks.
  • More Camera views.
  • Fix penalty system.
  • Points-on-license system for any collisions in multiplayer races.
  • Detailed mirrors.
  • Realistic damage. Current F1 cars in the game are far too strong.
  • More variable and realistic weather.
  • Have to deal with more mechanical issues during a race.
  • Interactive team radio. Voice recognition for scripted phrases.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 109 8.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 140 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 204 15.0%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 384 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 521 38.2%