F1 2013 F1 2013, RD position with historical car mod

F1 2013 The Game (Codemasters)
Hi all,

before someone want to try some mod with historical content in F1 2013. What's your position with this?. Modder can be use those car model to replace 2013 car slot to get historical car for a Career? Surely with custom and other legend skin ?

Well, @Graham Laing usually people who have no backup have more than one mod installed and it'll be damn hard to get all the modified files backupped before checking with steam as steam would replace all the modified content. You might say, they could rereplace the mods back then, I say they can't. Even I couldn't. I have no clue what files I all modified in any of my season-folders, that's why I'd never let them be checked by steam but have a full copy of the original game.

So, providing a hand full (usually small) backup files is friendlier than to let them guess what needs to be checked.

Further, that rule would prevent us from including Young-Driver-Test workarounds in full seasons for example. As these workarounds usually contain at least the game's default rb2/fe2/mc2 abu_dhabi.ctf if not even the triggers_pit.xml files due to car's topspeed/KERS/DRS problematic.

I feel it's a good service of modders they include these original files for the people to use than to tell them they shall replace 20 files with the correct structure on their own ;)

If you have a lot of mods, then it may also be a good idea to use Ryder's Mod Manager, so that's another backup/restore method that can be used

As far as I am aware we have never blocked a mod based on the fact that a few original files are supplied to restore the game back to it original state after installing a mod.

From what I have seen it quite common to do such a thing. There is a difference between doing this, and just supplying original files willy-nilly to anyone that wants them. For instance I am not going to upload the whole car folder to RD, just in case someone buggers up their installation of a mod or mods.

If I created a camera mod for a car, supplying various camera.xml files, covering different FOV's, I don't think that it is unreasonable to supply the original camera.xml file to allow quick removal of the mod.

Generally the only thing we are talking about here is supplying DLC content to people who don't own that content, and that will not be allowed, otherwise there is no real change from last year.

Last edited:
Hypothetically even if the DLC is moddable, 1990's content mods will not be allowed if it enables Standard Edition owners to get the DLC content for free.

I dont see how anyone would get the 1990's DLC for free, unless they torrent it.
I was going to pay for it through Steam.

I'm confused. lol, Why can't I use mods for the 90's content, if i've bought the DLC?

What difference does it make? If you have the Standard edition, and you buy the DLC, it means you have an identical game to those who bought the Classic edition.

I am not talking about all the whole DLC, I mean any part of that content.

What you mod for you own use is up to you, though at this moment I doubt that the DLC (1990's) will be moddable, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, let's say that you have managed to create a 1990's car or track mod, using the files from the Classic DLC. If that mod can be uploaded, installed and used by anyone who ONLY has the Standard Edition game, then that mod would not be allowed. It doesn't matter whether if you happen to own the DLC, it matters if the original files from that DLC can be used by those that don't own the DLC.

Example: The Classic edition contains these 2 tracks, Estoril and Imola. If anyone modifies those 2 tracks so that they can be installed and used in the Standard Edition, then that's a no-no.

The same would apply if you took the 1999 Ferrari F399 from the Classic Edition and modified it in such a way that it can be used by someone with the Standard Edition only.

Naturally, if a mod contains Classic content, and can only be used by someone who has the Classic Edition, or has upgraded to Classic via DLC (because CM have technically restricted the game in some way) , then there is no problem as far as I can see.

Until we know details about the Classic content and how it can or cannot be used (technically), really we are just blowing hot air here until release. It might very well end up as @Bram Hengeveld implied above, no classic mods at all, just standard 2013 mods

Last edited:
I don't know what more I can say.... you can mod what you like, BUT if that mod contains the DLC content, AND that DLC content can now be used by anyone who has not purchased that DLC due to your mod, then it cannot be distributed via RD.

Again people want clarification on something we don't know enough about yet, so I can only give a general rule. The game is not out, I don't know if the DLC is encrypted or locked down in such a way so that it cannot be modded, nobody knows.

So why not just wait and see, and we'll cross that bridge when we come to it?

Basically what Graham is trying to put across is that modding anything that comes free with the standard edition should be fine, as in theory everyone that has the game will have this content.

But not everyone will have the content of the full classic offering, so the content that comes with this as an extra over the standard game cannot really be modded and offered as a download as people who do not have the extra content could in theory obtain it free through downloads from the site.

As there is in all likelyhood going to be a difference in price between the two versions, or an additional cost for an upgrade to the full classic version, RD could be seen to be taking money out of the pockets of CM's.....which I would imagine will not go down very well with the people at CM's.

Brace yourself for a policy change ......... :whistling:

Contrary to what has been stated previously by myself in this thread, we have changed the policy regarding F1 2013 mods.

Our view is that it is the responsibility of Codemasters and/or Steam to prevent the unauthorised use of Classic DLC content in the Standard game. We are sure that they will have the necessary protection in place to prevent it's misuse. Therefore with regards to the content of mods, there is no restriction here at RD over what content you can modify and upload to RD. The only restrictions are what Codemasters/Steam have put in place themselves.

Enjoy your modding :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Brace yourself for a policy change ......... :whistling:

Contrary to what has been stated previously by myself in this thread, we have changed the policy regarding F1 2013 mods.

Our view is that it is the responsibility of Codemasters and/or Steam to prevent the unauthorised use of Classic DLC content in the Standard game. We are sure that they will have the necessary protection in place to prevent it's misuse. Therefore with regards to the content of mods, there is no restriction here at RD over what content you can modify and upload to RD. The only restrictions are what Codemasters/Steam have put in place themselves.

Enjoy your modding :thumbsup:

Great news, be prepared everyone, mod 1990 to 1994 will be on the ways :D If Codies havent put any restriction :p lol

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back