F1 2012 F1 2012 The Game: Improvements Dev Diary

F1 2012 The Game (Codemasters)
A few minutes ago CodeMasters released their latest dev diary about improvements that have been made for F1 2012. It starts with Paul Jeal saying "This year the kind of objective right from the beginning was to actually match what you have in real life." - this could mean that everything has been shifted more towards the simulation direction but also sounds odd because this should've been an objective for F1 2010 & F1 2011 as well. But, on the bright side, there's also talk about improved handling, sound and a whole lot more!

[youtube]

F1 2012 will be released on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 on (depending on your location) September 20th / 21st 2012.

For more on F1 2012 The Game visit our already popular F1 2012 The Game forum with the latest discussions and soon the place for modding resources, custom club and league races, setups and more.
View the Post on the Blog

The thing that intrigues me most is the direction that handling/physics will take.
I loved 2010 but in reality the physics were pants. Rear wing did nothing so most setups had front wing only. Car never under/oversteered just ran wide or spun if you hit one of the chosen problem kerbs. Still it was great fun.

In my view 2011 took a big step forward in this area, the car could now get under/oversteery. You had to do a little with setup to prevent high speed throttle oversteer. Physics in light rain sterted to feel very authentic. I dont expect the game to become RFactor, The F1 cars there are much harder to drive and setup (great if you are really into it) and not enough gamers want that for it to be successful enough on consoles. Moreover from a marketing strategy perspective if RFactor own that space why go after it if there are plenty who want a soft core/entertaining F1 game.

Messages have offered both fear and hope. At one point the Codies men said that "the 2011 rear end got too light" and people preferred that aspect in the 2010 game.
All said I love 2011 even if I cant pretend that I am helping RedBull setup their car for this weeks race that when in RFactor and my mind wanders I can!
The compromises made to bring 2011 to the masses have led to great mulitplyer racing.
If I dont like the new one I still have 2011.

I do like a series of developer diaries as a way of marketing prior to release. I think other racing game developers could learn from them. I'm afraid frequent punctures for no obvious reason and other bugs ruined F1-2010 for me so I never bought F1 2011. Glad there's a demo for F1 2012 - will give it a go.

:O_o:
Matching everything in real life doesnt mean its a simulation.
"Simulating everything in real life makes a simulation"

Why do I get the impression that this will be the quote from CM every year they bring out the new upcoming title.
Maybe by 2015 we will get a simulation that simulates everything in F1, from applying for an F1 license to walking up and punching a driver for cutting you up.

But for now I guess we will have to do with a simcade.

The strange thing is! The more money you spend on hardware to try and simulate the feeling of sitting in a car ie (cockpit, wheels, pedals, clutch, three way screen, super fast computers) the poorer the software (simcade and arcade games) feel.

The only software I feel, that gets better with hardware and can simulate real racing is rfactor 1,2.
(But then I guess thats why you cant get rfactor on console)

I think I will buy this title just to go around the new tracks, but only after the drop in price happens or on offer.
:)

The Steering still looks like ****. like if the tires doesn't matter. And why is the McLaren nose not updated yet ?

The cars used are always the ones from the first race of the season - utter silliness, I know, but that's the way it is.
But still so hard to understand, why they cant just update the cars. they have had R&D in the game, just without any visible canges. So with the little changes they make year by year, this should be made soon.

Alrighty, not bad so far...

Weather system, this ought to mix it up on some of our Clubs Online.

The camera system, I hope they live up to their words, I love watching replays, especially on your overtaking and Pole laps.

Keep it up Codies, lets hope you can improve and improve, nothing is perfect.

BTW, Im hoping to get the game earlier (friend has it reserved for me works @ a local video game store so he sneaks me games earlier than release date) to do a quick Preview vid, before it goes out publicly, as I did about a year here when 2011 came out.

Alrighty, not bad so far...

Weather system, this ought to mix it up on some of our Clubs Online.

The camera system, I hope they live up to their words, I love watching replays, especially on your overtaking and Pole laps.

Keep it up Codies, lets hope you can improve and improve, nothing is perfect.

BTW, Im hoping to get the game earlier (friend has it reserved for me works @ a local video game store so he sneaks me games earlier than release date) to do a quick Preview vid, before it goes out publicly, as I did about a year here when 2011 came out.
Really cool! When and where will we be able to see it?

• Deleted member 90535

I'm not sure whether you'll be able to do it, since it's on Steam this year. Unless you're talking about console version. If so, than I have no knowledge if you can do this or not :)

EDIT: Oh, wait. You are from USA. Lucky guy, the release date there is 18th:D

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back