F1 2012 F1 2012 standard vs HD mods (fps question)

F1 2012 The Game (Codemasters)
My question is important really cause i'm in a really skilled league with full assist off and my fps is very low.Last race was in spain and i finished 4th , however my fps was no more than 14 at that time.The question is that is this related to the HD mods i installed?
I have installed these:
-Weather Storm mod(Vlasovas)
-Pirelli Dual Boot tyre mod(Vlasovas)
-All track update hd , this one:http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/threads/all-tracks-update-hd.61633/
all 2013 cars so far.Most of them which were avaliable, was by ML and Supla team packs, the rest was by warok or pebz or supla and my sauber which is mine:D.
To mention of these no car is 2xHD only HD but all of them are HD size.
-Visor View mod
-Electronic flags
-A couple of HD helmets for AI and player
-Pit and racecrew HD
So my question is that i installed the standard game again and made a copy of my modded one, I ask if i may use standard one , should i notice any drastical fps improvment or it's not that much of a difference?It would be great in league cause i'm really good even though my fps is awful.Thanks in advance and sorry if this thread doesn't belong here.I just couldn't figure out where to post it , here or the modding questions but i think this is the correct thread.And maybe others would find this thread useful :)

I think it's a fair enough question, game performance vs modding.

The only problem is that PCs vary so much, that there is no real answer to that question apart from generalisations. It's a question of balance. There is reason that Codemasters released the game with the textures and skins they did, so that the vast majority of people with a wide variety of system specs can enjoy the game with a reasonable amount of eye candy, but still get a good overall performance regarding frames per second.

I personally could never play this game or any other if the fps dropped to your levels, something would have to go, and I am afraid that means some (or all) of the HD textures and skins. Assuming that your graphics settings are optimised so that whatever you tweak in the graphic options you get no better performance, then it's time to cut stuff out. Usually the first things that can be cut, which are power hungry in themselves is shadows and antialiasing. I usually find that after tweaking those down, I get diminishing returns with other tweaks. Draw distance, cloth textures, post-processing can help but probably not much. (depending on your system). It no good going so low, that you don't enjoy the game visually, even though it's the racing that it's all about. If I have to tweak a number of items down to only save 5 fps, then I wont bother.

Of course if you are only getting 12 fps, a 5 fps gain is great proportionally, but it really doesn't cut the mustard. I think 30 fps is pretty minimal, 40 is much better. I much prefer that ANY game doesn't get less than 60 fps (I don't mind the odd dip). Years ago with flight simulator, because I had expanded it so much with extra airports, and loads of other aircraft flying around me, and aircraft taxiing around those airports, all with textures of real airlines, I could come in to land getting only 15 fps. This is useless, by the time you've realised you are descending too quickly, and due to the sluggish reaction of the system to your control inputs, you missed your throttle back and flare @ 50 ft and smack into the deck. Driving will be much the same at those sort of fps, pointless IMHO.

You've got to think about reality. What are you really noticing when you drive at 150 MPH + ? Are you really noticing the beautiful 2xHD skin, or are you staring at the back of the car in front, and looking for your braking points?

I know what I am doing ..... and it doesn't involve skins. Don't get me wrong I do have modded tyres, and an HD skin on my car, but that is ONLY because I have the spare capacity in my CPU and Graphics card to handle it all at 1920x1080. Currently with most stuff on ultra and high, but shadows on normal, the F1 2012 benchmark in the graphics settings gets me a minimum of 88 fps. Bear in mind that you don't need much or perhaps any anti-aliasing @ 1080p resolutions, because there are much more pixels on the screen than lower resolutions, so less chance of 'jaggies'.

So it all boils down to available processing/graphics power and how you use what you have to allow you to have an enjoyable game. If you don't like what you are getting, ditch some of the HD graphics, no matter how beautiful they are, even though there is a ton of beauty in our F1 2012 download section :)

Good luck ... :thumbsup:

I think it's a fair enough question, game performance vs modding.

The only problem is that PCs vary so much, that there is no real answer to that question apart from generalisations. It's a question of balance. There is reason that Codemasters released the game with the textures and skins they did, so that the vast majority of people with a wide variety of system specs can enjoy the game with a reasonable amount of eye candy, but still get a good overall performance regarding frames per second.

I personally could never play this game or any other if the fps dropped to your levels, something would have to go, and I am afraid that means some (or all) of the HD textures and skins. Assuming that your graphics settings are optimised so that whatever you tweak in the graphic options you get no better performance, then it's time to cut stuff out. Usually the first things that can be cut, which are power hungry in themselves is shadows and antialiasing. I usually find that after tweaking those down, I get diminishing returns with other tweaks. Draw distance, cloth textures, post-processing can help but probably not much. (depending on your system). It no good going so low, that you don't enjoy the game visually, even though it's the racing that it's all about. If I have to tweak a number of items down to only save 5 fps, then I wont bother.

Of course if you are only getting 12 fps, a 5 fps gain is great proportionally, but it really doesn't cut the mustard. I think 30 fps is pretty minimal, 40 is much better. I much prefer that ANY game doesn't get less than 60 fps (I don't mind the odd dip). Years ago with flight simulator, because I had expanded it so much with extra airports, and loads of other aircraft flying around me, and aircraft taxiing around those airports, all with textures of real airlines, I could come in to land getting only 15 fps. This is useless, by the time you've realised you are descending too quickly, and due to the sluggish reaction of the system to your control inputs, you missed your throttle back and flare @ 50 ft and smack into the deck. Driving will be much the same at those sort of fps, pointless IMHO.

You've got to think about reality. What are you really noticing when you drive at 150 MPH + ? Are you really noticing the beautiful 2xHD skin, or are you staring at the back of the car in front, and looking for your braking points?

I know what I am doing ..... and it doesn't involve skins. Don't get me wrong I do have modded tyres, and an HD skin on my car, but that is ONLY because I have the spare capacity in my CPU and Graphics card to handle it all at 1920x1080. Currently with most stuff on ultra and high, but shadows on normal, the F1 2012 benchmark in the graphics settings gets me a minimum of 88 fps. Bear in mind that you don't need much or perhaps any anti-aliasing @ 1080p resolutions, because there are much more pixels on the screen than lower resolutions, so less chance of 'jaggies'.

So it all boils down to available processing/graphics power and how you use what you have to allow you to have an enjoyable game. If you don't like what you are getting, ditch some of the HD graphics, no matter how beautiful they are, even though there is a ton of beauty in our F1 2012 download section :)

Good luck ... :thumbsup:
I will try it out tonight if the standard game gives better result.And by the way what's your gaming rig?88 fps sounds good.I bet you have a beast pc:D.
And beleive me .I don't really have that much time to stare at the 2xHD skin cause i would miss the braking point.What i will do is to keep a copy of the full modded game to play career 2013, and for league and online to keep standard.Hope it will go as i except:)

It's good gaming rig, but not a beast. Windows 8 x64 with 8GB ram. An Intel i7 3770k running at 3.5 GHz but turbo boosted to 4.0 GHz. An HD 7950 3 GB Ram graphics card.

The system boots from an OCZ Vertex 3 SSD, and games run on a dedicated gaming HDD drive, with the most used games running on a dedicated gaming OCZ Agility 3 SSD.

I use Gamesave Manager to shuffle games to and from the HDD & SSD when required, no uninstalling/reinstalling needed.

Cheers :)

It's good gaming rig, but not a beast. Windows 8 x64 with 8GB ram. An Intel i7 3770k running at 3.5 GHz but turbo boosted to 4.0 GHz. An HD 7950 3 GB Ram graphics card.

The system boots from an OCZ Vertex 3 SSD, and games run on a dedicated gaming HDD drive, with the most used games running on a dedicated gaming OCZ Agility 3 SSD.

I use Gamesave Manager to shuffle games to and from the HDD & SSD when required, no uninstalling/reinstalling needed.

That's great, just over doubling your fps to 26 fps. I am sure that you see/feel the difference.

It's still on the low side, but if you are happy with it, that's good :)

The only other to look out for is resolution. Dropping your resolution will gain you frame per second, but the cost is usually quality.

If you have a 1280x720 TFT/LCD screen, this being it's native resolution, it is best to use at that resolution to get the best quality image. Your graphics card can output in various resolutions, but if you use one of those resolutions, the pixels have to be resized by your card or by your monitor's circuitry. Whichever way it is done, the image will be blurry and lack definition.

This goes for all monitors, a 1680x1050 should be used at 1680x1050, and a 1920x1080 used at 1920x1080. Any other resolution will involve pixel resizing and a certain amount of blurriness.

Sometime if your systems specs are on the low side, then you may have no choice, if you really need the boost in fps in a game, you have to lower the resolution. Just be aware that you pay the price for that frame boost by lowering image quality.

That's great, just over doubling your fps to 26 fps. I am sure that you see/feel the difference.

It's still on the low side, but if you are happy with it, that's good :)

The only other to look out for is resolution. Dropping your resolution will gain you frame per second, but the cost is usually quality.

If you have a 1280x720 TFT/LCD screen, this being it's native resolution, it is best to use at that resolution to get the best quality image. Your graphics card can output in various resolutions, but if you use one of those resolutions, the pixels have to be resized by your card or by your monitor's circuitry. Whichever way it is done, the image will be blurry and lack definition.

This goes for all monitors, a 1680x1050 should be used at 1680x1050, and a 1920x1080 used at 1920x1080. Any other resolution will involve pixel resizing and a certain amount of blurriness.

Sometime if your systems specs are on the low side, then you may have no choice, if you really need the boost in fps in a game, you have to lower the resolution. Just be aware that you pay the price for that frame boost by lowering image quality.

Yeah i'm currently playing at 1280x1024.My monitor's max resolution is 1680x1050 , but if i put it to that i get like -5 fps.I will buy a new pc at the end of summer so hopefully a gtx 670 with an i5 3570k can take this game without any problem:).And yes i see the difference.My drive is far better now(not my overall times but i can now see the track and braking points really.With HD modded game , the quality was awesome but awful fps , but i've got no choice, i had to do these in order to avoid low fps.

I think HD mods are nice for screenshots, but when racing it's all a blur to me! I can't say I have much time to look at the gloves, just ahead on the track and on other cars to avoid.

All that said, if my PC was ludicrously overpowered I'd probably install them anyway. :)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 110 12.9%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 83 9.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 80 9.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 56 6.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 115 13.4%