F1 2012 F1 2012 - Graphical Comparison with F1 2011

F1 2012 The Game (Codemasters)
Hi all,

Using the second Developer Diary and YouTube videos of F1 2011 I compiled a comparison overview between F1 2012 and F1 2011. On the left side you see screenshots taken from the F1 2012 dev diary and on the right side you see screenshots taken from F1 2011 videos.

2v96brp.jpg

The very first thing that came to my mind after having watched the second developer diary was: ''Wow, this game looks a lot better than F1 2011, unbelievable!'' I couldn't quite figure out the reason why graphics wise F1 2012 seemed so much better or ''fresher'' than F1 2011 until I finished the comparison. I noticed that the slightly sepia coloured filter of F1 2011 has been changed to a more blue-ish style. To some this may seem barely noticable, but it definitely is present although in a very discrete manner. I'm not saying it looks better, but this slight change of filter colour seems to give the game a whole different feel than F1 2010 and F1 2011.

This is therefore also a call to @Rini Braat to ask him if you could unleash your magic onto F1 2012 to once again create an outstanding TrueLights mod to give the game a natural look! Your work is always great and it would make the experience even better :)

But let's not get ahead of things.. so what do you think of F1 2012's graphics?

I'm looking forward to the game and see whether, along with the altered handling model, it can provide me with as much fun as I had with F1 2010. To be honest I had much less fun with F1 2011, the rear end of the car was just too unstable for me to drive consistently and enjoy.

F1 2012 looks truly stunning. Lol and I'm left wondering whether or not it will need any graphical modding in terms of lighting, just because it looks like pure eye candy! Haha.
Obviously the cars liveries will need a bit of modification just to update the liveries, but other than that it looks, in a word: Brilliant.

Great post btw! Good to see the differences!

I agree with you guys.
The new look in 2012 has more natural and not oversatured colours like we've seen in 2011. A big step forward for me is the comparisation of the picture with the Virgin car at Silverstone which is looking much more real than before especially the tarmac. :thumbsup:

And the end I only hope that the game running now smoother because in F1 2011 I've many FPS drops in the pitlane, Piscine Chicane at Monaco, all the way in Malaysia and the Infield in Sao Paulo. Constantly around 60 FPS would be nice with Vsync but if it sometimes drop down to 30-40 in some sections it is very annoying.

Someone on Codemasters' F1 2012 forums has shown exactly what I was talking about. The left side of the picture is colour-corrected and the right side is how it looks in the dev diary. The left side looks much, much better in my opinion! Hopefully @Rini Braat will be able to help us :thumbsup:

codiesfixed_copy.png

anyone else think the sky looks more like F1 2010 this year

Yeah, the sky in the dev diary looks boring. There are no clouds visible whatsoever. I'm not sure but I think this is how the sky looked in F1 2011 in a sunny session as well. When there was a cloudy session the clouds did appear and the environment seemed much nicer. Maybe the dev diary videos were all shot during a sunny session and therefore the sky looks pretty dull. But I know there were some fantastic mods for F1 2010 and F1 2011 that added a much better sky texture. Was it not part of the TrueLights mod?

Yeah, the sky in the dev diary looks boring. There are no clouds visible whatsoever. I'm not sure but I think this is how the sky looked in F1 2011 in a sunny session as well. When there was a cloudy session the clouds did appear and the environment seemed much nicer. Maybe the dev diary videos were all shot during a sunny session and therefore the sky looks pretty dull. But I know there were some fantastic mods for F1 2010 and F1 2011 that added a much better sky texture. Was it not part of the TrueLights mod?
I was going to comment that as the conditions (sky) are different in each picture, it's hard for me to compare lighting. abu dhabi, altho looks similar, the Sun is at a different position in the sky - look at reflections on buildings. One picture has clouds and one doesn't.
It's a great post tho. In my opinion, both games look great but the feeling of weightlessnes is what saddens me about f1 2011. it's too easy to throw the car. i'm really hoping for an improvement in physics. I've been playing on xbox so this year, I may get the pc version to compare it. not sure what to expect.

Someone on Codemasters' F1 2012 forums has shown exactly what I was talking about. The left side of the picture is colour-corrected and the right side is how it looks in the dev diary. The left side looks much, much better in my opinion! Hopefully @Rini Braat will be able to help us :thumbsup:

codiesfixed_copy.png

Hey there, I bought F1 2012 today and noticed that there was indeed a sepia like effect on it again, just like in F1 2011 and F1 2010.

The TrueLights mods for 2011 and 2010 had been brilliant, is there something planned to do for the 2012 game aswell? The ULTRA HIGH settings mod is amazing to, however, it's not lifting the sepia 'veil' off the screen.

Nice to see this, im using the FXAA injector and i've done 2 tweaks that made the game looking better, IMHO obviously. I will take some pictures and release it as a mod, it works with steam and doesn't have any impact on fps, also it works together with AA.

EDIT: As i said above, i've made a mod on image quality, its not easy to see the difference only by the picures, if anyone wants to try it, feel free.

F1 2012 Enhanced IQ

I agree
BUT...
Is it me? Or the colors in the second picture from the top seem very accurate to real life? I mean the track,
I don't know, I mean yeah F1 2012 is way better grapichs-wise, but in that picture the colors in the left look very unrealistic.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 89 7.5%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 124 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 334 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 464 39.1%