F1 2011 F1 2011 reviews going live

F1 2011 The Game (Codemasters)
Not a great deal of negativity from those I've read so far, a lot focusing on the fixes F1 2010 clearly needed and the graphical/frame rate improvements.

I'm geting the impression that the improvements have been made on-track and the off-track stuff has been left wanting a little bit, which is fine with me.

Here's a few:

Gamespot UK : 8/10

http://uk.gamespot.com/xbox360/driving/f1-2011/review.html

CVG: 8.6/10

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/319244/reviews/f1-2011-review/

Eurogamer : 8/10

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-09-16-f1-2011-review

Gamesrader: 9/10

http://www.gamesradar.com/f1-2011-super-review/?page=1

OXM: 9/10

http://www.oxm.co.uk/33798/reviews/f1-2011-review/

EDIT: VG247 have a nice little review score round-up here which they usually keep updated.

I hate these reviews by guys who have never played a racing game.

"Cons: Steep learning curve for those not familiar with F1"

Uh, WTF are you talking about?

If this game is an improvement on last year's look out, it's a classic.

I hate these reviews by guys who have never played a racing game.

"Cons: Steep learning curve for those not familiar with F1"

Uh, WTF are you talking about?

If this game is an improvement on last year's look out, it's a classic.

I laughed at that con too - I mean seriously! If it was too easy, they would be slamming its simplicity.
F1 fans / sim racers beg for more realism, CM give it to us, and then a review says that needing to learn and practice the game is a con!

Are we all supposed to be instant experts at everything?

I fancied getting into Neurosurgery, but the prospectus for the 5 years medical training, 2 years foundation training and 8 years of pathway training prior to sitting my consultant examinations mentioned it was a steep learning curve - so I gave it a miss.

i also hate reviewers who have never played racing games, the expect it to be a pick up and play thingy, this isnt a fps like cod, ive gotta review the game for my volenteer work and i must say im realy looking forward to playing this. i will probably review it from both sides ie assists and no assists. anyways ONE WEEK TO GO WOOP WOOP

edit. must admit some of the reviews are good manily sites like cvg ign and gamespot

I'm not sure whether it's just me but the graphics look more artificial than in the 2010 version, I get a feeling there is not as much depth graphically in the track extents / kerbs etc. I'm still really looking froward to it though, the strategy is going to be so interesting.

A review copy of the game by any chance?! ;)

Getting warm Ash. It's now very clear that Codemasters (BLX) don't want us to review the game before release.

Question is: do they have something to hide that simracers will spot but those mainstream reviewers that drive with a controller, swingmancamera, and ABS don't?

Noticed that again the same old sites rate the game with 9/10?

Don't get me wrong, Codemasters/NamcoBandaiPartners are fully entitled to not send us a review copy. But don't BS us for the third time in a row (F1 2010, Dirt3, F1 2011) by promising us a copy and deliberately delay it again until after all the reviews go online.

Which serious independent simracing websites have a review online? Indeed zero, makes you wonder eh?

I am guessing the problem is our site description: RaceDepartment is the leading independent sim racing and motorsport community.

Posting this will probably result in RaceDepartment.com being blacklisted for future preview games by Codies unfortunately. But Robin Chung will review the F1 2011 Game anyway as we always buy our own games. The review will be independent and honest just like all our reviews in the past. If the game is great (and I hope it is) we will write that, when its bad then our conclusion will be that is bad.

Unfortunately you will have to wait for it a bit as we depend on the retail version that will be unlocked on Steam later this week.

That's a hell of a conspiracy theory! I'd like to think it's exactly that though, but only based on the fact that I've known people who write for fairly large review sites and get review copies declined for no particular reason, and some because reviews copies are few and far between (though I've never really been sure why they wouldn't just produce more).

I've always been under the impression that Codies were making a game that could be as successful as possible, so in some ways are trying to shed the "full-on simulation" tags that an F1 game could easily get burdened with.

Either way, I guess we'll see when you get ahold of a copy! Looking forward to hearing RD's thoughts on it.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 230 14.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 161 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 156 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 117 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 223 14.2%