Skins F1 2011 Lotus Exos S1 skin creation thread

Hey all,
I've been posting about creating the F1 2011 grid as skins on the Lotus Exos S1 in a Facebook group for a while, but after I posted a couple days ago they seem to be getting annoyed by how slow I've been designing one skin so far and how I've been taking pictures with my phone. I'm gonna start posting actual screenshots here in one thread to make things easier. I'll probably just limit postings to big updates or important questions: I won't query or update on *everything*.
Disclaimer: I've never designed a car skin in my life, not in Photoshop that is, only in Forza livery editors in-game, so this is totally new. I plan to do all the liveries and release them as one pack, so this could take some time.
I've started with the HRT/Hispania Racing F111, as given their lack of sponsors it seemed like a decent place to start, and the shapes and decals seemed relatively easy. That was over two weeks ago, and now I'm only just close to finishing the paint without any logos, including their infamous 'this could be you' placeholders.
I'm currently stuck with the curved fading chequered flag on the side of the nose/chassis. I've placed it for the moment, however looking at it, I'm not sure it'll stay like that. I'm pleased that I've made it line up, however it's ended up relatively small and hidden behind the wheel from a side-on view. Attached are a reference image and screenshots of the design, both with and without the wireframe I'm leaning on incredibly heavily. Should it stay where it is or, if it's not right, what should I do about it? Just wanted some input to make sure I'm on the right track.

Attachments

• Screenshot (2).png
    Screenshot (2).png
    1 MB · Views: 294
  • Screenshot (1).png
    Screenshot (1).png
    1.3 MB · Views: 303
  • HRT-F111-03.jpg
    HRT-F111-03.jpg
    312 KB · Views: 794
Progress update: I redid the decal using a different vector, it looks at least slightly more accurate, but still, even though the design is massive on the wireframe, it will still be hidden by the wheel. I don't think I can make it much more visible than I have now. Any advice?
Screenshot (3).png

Update: finished the background decals, I think! Now to make/find the logos I need for that aspect! Then after that I can move on to making ones specifically for the drivers and I'll be onto the next one!

Attachments

• __custom_showroom_1595351558.jpg
    __custom_showroom_1595351558.jpg
    366 KB · Views: 184
I'm designing the 'Speed' logo thing on the side of the nose: looks like it's Impact font, but I can't quite get it to look the same. Maybe I'm wrong? Anyone able to help out?

Attachments

• Screenshot (4).png
    Screenshot (4).png
    975.7 KB · Views: 167
Update: someone on Facebook told me the 'Speed' logo is actually from an actual performance oil brand, and even linked me to the vector of their logo, so I don't have to make it after all. Right now, though, I've prioritised putting from the body and nose on top and the rear wing, those that don't need to be mirrored. The HRT is a bit blurred and faint, but I'm not sure what I can do about that. The Hispania Racing Team on the wing isn't really the right one, but it's honestly close enough so I'm willing to leave it like that for the moment, at least. What do you guys think?
__custom_showroom_1595447607.jpg

Hey all,
I've been posting about creating the F1 2011 grid as skins on the Lotus Exos S1 in a Facebook group for a while, but after I posted a couple days ago they seem to be getting annoyed by how slow I've been designing one skin so far and how I've been taking pictures with my phone.

As a member of said group it was probably more to the point that everything was a new post and not a continuation from your original post.

Keep at it :)

Yet another update: I've put on all the logos that I don't need to create myself. I think. Here's what it looks like. I think it's a pretty decent replica! Now to make their iconic 'this could be YOU!' and 'your logo here' decals, as well as Cosmic Motors for the uprights on the side. Might need help with that.
__custom_showroom_1595516474.jpg

HRT-F111-03.jpg
This is my reference image for these, in case anyone can help. Anyone know which font this is? I'll try and replicate it myself, but would appreciate it if someone knows how to find it.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back