F1 2011 F1 2011: Harder, faster, stronger?

F1 2011 The Game (Codemasters)
Codemasters has blown open F1 2011, the sequel to its Bafta-winning sport debut that took the racing genre by storm last year.

The feature list for this year's game includes improved handling, new AI and an enhanced damage system, but the real focus is on the multiplayer side.

2011's major bullet points are all connected with online, and chief game designer Stephen Hood is frank in telling us he doesn't think last year's game performed well in the network arena "at all".

To help bring the feature up to par then, Codies is introducing both co-op Championships and a much-requested split-screen mode in F1 2011.

screenshot_255428_thumb_wide620.jpg

Competitive online racing has also been extended with 16 players going head-to-head in Grand Prix, with up to 8 AI drivers added to simulate the full grid of 24 drivers.

These enhancements are complimented by additional quick fire modes including Time Attack and an ever-obsessive commitment to authenticity.

The developers promise F1 2011 will feature all the drivers set to contest the 2011 F1 Championship, including Sebastian Vettel, Lewis Hamilton, Fernando Alonso, Michael Schumacher and Jenson Button.

All 2011 teams are represented including Ferrari, Red Rull Racing, Vodafone McLaren Mercedes and Lotus Renault GP in their iconic black and gold livery.

There are also two additions to the race calendar this year, extending the number of circuits to 19. Players will be able to debut ahead of the drivers on the Buddh International Circuit, the home of the first F1 Grand Prix of India and the Nürburging circuit for the first time.

A little less obvious are all the new rule changes, which Codemasters says will make this year's season "the most exciting yet".

F1 2011 debuts (put your F1 nerd hat on here) DRS (Drag Reduction System) - the new system which enables drivers to adjust the rear wing on the car to give a boost of up to 10km. KERS also returns, giving players an extra 80BHP for up to 6.67 seconds, enabling drivers to blast past rivals.

F-FUN

Beyond the Drag Deduction Systems and other techy stuff though, you'll be pleased to hear that this year's game actually looks bloody good. Codemasters showed us both last year's game and 2011 side by side, and the difference is night and day (literally in some cases - there's a night/day cycle in 2011).

F1 2011 features a whole new lighting system, dynamic clouds (which are more impressive than they sound) and hugely improved background scenery, right down to blades of grass. As you can see from the first screenshots, the weather system is also looking fantastic.

screenshot_255430_thumb_wide620.jpg

The new instalment's also committed to expanding the "be the driver" mantra cemented by last year's game.

2011 introduces a new Parc Ferme area, an expanded and revamped Paddock, new Pit Lane, celebration and reaction cinematics and an enhanced media interaction system promising to fully immerse players in the world of driving cars well fast.

F1 2011 is due on PS3, Xbox 360 and PC, followed later by NGP and Nintendo 3DS.

Source: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/304484/previews/f1-2011-harder-faster-stronger/

No mention of any improvements to the really bad telemetry from the 2010 version... I hope that there are some significant changes to this area of the game which was so sadly lacking in 2010. Proper sector times, tyre temps, braking and gear change graphs, etc.

I got invited to codies and played F1 2011 last week.
It was with 2010 cars.

F1 2011 is much improved. F1 2010 offered a great starting point and from what I could tell, F1 2011 builds on that beautifully.
I've been sworn to secrecy on many aspects of it but I thought I'd share with you that it is definitely an improved game.

Actually, those markings are Orange and Orange are the extreme wet tyre, with Blue being the intermediates, so they've got it right. Red are the super soft you're thinking of.

No, because the wet tyre doesn't have a line around the outside of the tyre, just the pirelli letters. So he's right, they are showing the SOFT tyre with yellow markings in the rain, probably why that Red Bull is going sideways through the corner in that screenshot :p

I read that although wing adjustment is out brake balance is in to compensate for fuel loss.
Also that the in car data will tell you if you are above or below your fuel usage delta.
also pit crew will actively look for a gap to drop you into and give feedback if you need to push to achieve this.

I got invited to codies and played F1 2011 last week.
It was with 2010 cars.

F1 2011 is much improved. F1 2010 offered a great starting point and from what I could tell, F1 2011 builds on that beautifully.
I've been sworn to secrecy on many aspects of it but I thought I'd share with you that it is definitely an improved game.

Uh-oh - you do realise you're going to be jumped on now, don't you? :D Please, if you can, just tell me whether penalties and tyre/fuel sim affects the AI properly? That's all I need to know; if that's outside what you're allowed to talk about, I understand. Hope you enjoyed your day at Codies.... you lucky git!!!! :)

I'm a bit concerned about there being mechanical failures added to the game, I don't want to slog away in a race for 30-40 minutes only for there to be 'mechanical failure' in the last few laps. This would be so annoying. I don't mind having a DNF if it's my fault, but to have your race end due to something (I'm assuming random) out of your control is not right.

I'm a bit concerned about there being mechanical failures added to the game, I don't want to slog away in a race for 30-40 minutes only for there to be 'mechanical failure' in the last few laps. This would be so annoying. I don't mind having a DNF if it's my fault, but to have your race end due to something (I'm assuming random) out of your control is not right.

It would be your fault, It will be about engine management etc

Why? It happens in real life; either way, I'm sure you'll be able to turn it off. ;)

It would be your fault, It will be about engine management etc

Not necessarily - there will be other failures such as brakes.

Computer games are not real life. Real life drivers also get paid a ton of money too, lol. If Aidan is right, then I guess fair enough. But I think CM will have to be careful how they incorporate it and the circumstances resulting in the failure, eg overheating the engine.

They'll more than likely make it driver-responsible.
if you're constantly hitting the limiter, over-heating the engine and using fast throttle mapping excessively, then yes you should pick up some engine problems.
If you have the wrong setup and/or you are braking too heavy too often, then you should get some brake issues.

The system should reward people who look after their car and punish those who don't. That's pretty much real life isn't it?

to be honest mate CM haven`t said anything about the safety car yet,because their not releaseing all the details about the game,No news is good news as they say,I`m reallying hoping myself they including it though:)

I doubt anyone knows any details on this multiplayer championship mode they have mentioned? It's day 3 of E3 and nothing new has come up. Oh well...there definitely seems to be a lot to hopeful for. At this point, personally, I just want to get the details on multiplayer championship. Wish they could reveal things similar to how EA has revealed so much about NCAA 12. But then again that comes out next month.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 380 16.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 258 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 250 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 182 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 306 13.1%