F1 2011 F1 2011 - Developer Diary #1 video (merged)

F1 2011 The Game (Codemasters)

This is the first dev. diary. It's disappointingly short - but I had a sneaking suspicion that would be the case - not a great deal to go on. The lighting does not look as good as the Race Dev mods, but that could be down to early build.

Hmm, reminds me much of F1 2010. Which isn't that bad at all. In the end it will depend on the "feeling" (car handling etc.), because the graphics are already awesome.

I know that it's nitpicking, but I still hope for different steering wheels and helmet shapes. At this moment both seems to not appear ingame... :/

EDIT: Okay, I took a closer look. Actually there are different steering wheels. Well, I still hope for different helmet shapes and for the original TV hud. Wait and see...

F1 2011 will likely be better than F1 2010 (how can it not be better). But after watching the two available preview videos, the one from Code Masters which is pure marketing mumbo jumbo and the one from "Inside Sim Racing" which is much more substantive. I still have some concerns.

First off, it sounds like multi-player is CM's top priority in the F1 2011 release. Nothing wrong with this except to say what is the shelf life for F1 2011? One or two years? If someone is really serious about multi-player racing, iRacing is the way to go. So I suspect the same dorked out artificially invented out of thin air lap times we know from F1 2010 will be in F1 2011. I hope I am wrong, but there does not appear to be much indication that CM is changing much with their AI.

The second area that concerns me (more my fault) is in how they will use KERS and DRS and how my older wheel (which I would prefer not to be forced into replacing at this time) will be difficult to use in this game now that I will be forced to press buttons for KERS and DRS as I lap. I use an older G25 wheel and there are only two buttons on the steering wheel. Presently I have one button assigned to look behind me while the other is used to request a "Pit In". The "Pit In" can clearly go as it's not something that is used often. But looking behind me is important to have. Once again this is my fault for using an older controller, but it remains to be seen if this game is really worth being forced into buy a new controller. It may not be realistic, but I like how iRacing has given us a mirror at the top of our screens. I don't even need to press a button in iRacing.

Only time will tell with this game. I am optimistic it will be an improvement, but I also want to see what people think about GTR3 and rFactor2 (assuming they are ever released) before I give CM any more money.

Hmm, reminds me much of F1 2010. Which isn't that bad at all. In the end it will depend on the "feeling" (car handling etc.), because the graphics are already awesome.

I know that it's nitpicking, but I still hope for different steering wheels and helmet shapes. At this moment both seems to not appear ingame... :/

EDIT: Okay, I took a closer look. Actually there are different steering wheels. Well, I still hope for different helmet shapes and for the original TV hud. Wait and see...

I'd rather we had no HUD and all the info on the steering wheel, as happened in lots of other F1 games. Sure, keep it for the arcade views, but for proper driving - being in the cockpit - get rid of it and put it on the wheel!

After all the bugs in the first game, The AI not pitting and just driving around in a big Train.

Codemasters have gone massively downhill over recent years. The Dirt series, this. I wont be buying it;...there just all about advertising, Hype and making a fast dollar.

They still havent patched the game any more to fix the rest of the bugs from the first one and if it wasnt for RDDev and community the first one would be an absolute pile of crap!

Completely disagree - I thoroughly enjoyed the game even before any mods touched it.

F1 2011 - Developer Diary #1: Advancements | OFFICIAL | HD

The first developer diary features work-in-progress gameplay footage from the game as key talent in the development team explain how F1 2011 will be "a far more complete package this time around."

Stephen Hood, Chief Games Designer says, "This is the next step for us and we keep pushing forward. Some people think it's just about updating the teams and drivers and you just ship the next game out. It's nothing like that at all. There's a stack of new stuff in there." Executive Producer Paul Jeal explains that in addition to the raft of new content and improvements, 2011's rule changes naturally lead to an even more exciting game,

"We're all experiencing this 2011 season for the first time and these [new] elements are really bringing so much more to the strategy and the racing. It's such a better experience in terms of racing - when do you deploy your KERS? Are you in the DRS zone? The tyre strategy elements... it's all really going to play into a much more complete experience this year."

ABOUT THIS GAME
F1 2011, the sequel to F1 2010, the fastest-selling FORMULA ONE game ever released. In F1 2011 players will be challenged to 'Be the driver, live the life, go compete', with wide-ranging technical and gameplay advancements on and off track and vastly extended competitive and co-operative multiplayer components. F1 2011 will feature all of the official teams, drivers and circuits from 2011 FIA FORMULA ONE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP, including the current FIA FORMULA ONE Drivers' World Champion Sebastian Vettel. The 2011 season also sees the debut of the 2011 FORMULA 1 GRAND PRIX OF INDIA at Delhi's Jaypee International Race Circuit and the return of the iconic Nürburgring to the calendar. F1 2011 is in development at Codemasters Birmingham and will race into stores on September 23rd, 2011, for PC, Xbox 360 and PS3.

F1 2011
GENRE: Racing
RELEASE DATE(S): September 23, 2011
PLATFORM: Xbox 360
ALSO ON: PC, PS3
WEBSITE: http://www.formula1-game.com and http://www.facebook.com/formula1game
PRE-ORDER / BUY on AMAZON: http://amzn.to/kerr3q

PUBLISHER: Codemasters
DEVELOPER: Codemasters Studios Birmingham
ESRB: E for Everyone

XboxViewTV ON TWITTER
http://www.twitter.com/xboxviewtv

I notice on that screen shot with Heidfeld, telementry on the monitors in the backround,, I know they were adding to the pit area with regards to commotion in the garage, I hope they put some sort of telemntry in.

It'll be great if we don't need any AI mods this year, because with those it can just end up feeling like you're going around in circles - I haven't found a single AI mod that sorts out one thing, without messing something else up. Texture, lighting, audio and camera mods, yep - I'm sure we'll get those, but I hope AI mods aren't needed.

Everyone who has seen that video and thinks the sound is not improved needs to watch this video:

Listen from 23:37 onwards - and you'll hear F1 2011's true engine audio. ;) Listen to the depth in the sound, the sheer grunt, the 'crackling' sound as downshifts are made - the sound in the dev diary, along with the rest of it, is clearly a very old build.

Oh and above poster, F1 2010 was an excellent game that had some flaws and it was Codies' first effort - so yes, I am excited for F1 2011. Despite the flaws, I have logged 203 hours so far. All the testers who have tried F1 2011 have said it's much improved and that many of the issues have been addressed going by what they played. So what's not to get excited about?

Kudos? Fake kudos, empty kudos, sarcastic kudos.

Those helmets look very poor by the way. Hopefully they haven't changed anything in the way the textures are set up in the .pssg files. That way, we can use the 2011 HD helmets that are being released straight away.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 114 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 155 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 297 27.8%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 424 39.6%