rF2 F1 1992 @ Monza - Sun April 3rd 2011

rFactor 2 Racing Club event

Great i realy like to hear this and i will do my best to be there next time. I dont want to bother about drivers who wanne win every event because of there ranking. I think its one of the best choices. I never liked the ranking system because i got the feeling some drivers pushed therself to more then the limit. And it isnt important in funn races to know on what place you finished. the only important thing is to finish the race while having funn.

I will be there next time.

Adam, I didn't start watching F1 until the 92 season and was hooked on Mansell from the start.
When he left F1 to race Champcars (back before the cursed IRL:mad:) Was prolly the greatest season Champcar had for a decade.

Oh yeh FWIW I thot Michael Andretti for Mansell u guys got the short end of that stick. :wink:

The first race I watched was Monaco 1992 (I had just turned 4), second was Belgium 1992 (two epic races) and from then on I've tried to watch every race since. And ye Andretti soon got removed from F1, shame Nige didn't come back till '94. :frown:

Question- in what way does the ranking system affect the racing? When i enter for a race,and then take part,i'm just trying to do the best i can. I'm only thinking of finishing the best i can with the cards i'm dealt.I'm not thinking of my ranking,at all.
True,when i see a little improvment in the numbers,it makes me smile. Other than that? I don't think of it.

I agree with Chas. In what way was the racing better without rankings?
I got bumped off the track in one race, I had a guy come straight out of the pits into turn 1 just when I was on a fast lap in qualifying for race 2, so for me the driving Sunday was worse than usual.
I think most of our “regulars” do everything possible to avoid any problems we just need to make sure the newcomers – and I hope there are plenty – try and adhere to the same standards as the rest of us. I did express a concern that we have a guy who speaks no English so does know the rules?

In general, most guys don't think of the ranking and would rather have a fun and fair race. However there was always some that pushed things to the limit and beyond for the sake of ranking points. By removing the rankings, these thoughts shouldn't enter their minds. Of course there is going to be the occasional bump and nudge and a bad apple every so often but we believe that these occurances should be rarer now.

Adam I still have the VHS tape I recorded off of ESPN of the Spa 92 race. The incar sound of Sennas V12 as MS chased him up the hill to Malmedy in the Bennetton put a hook in me to this day!:party:

You guys make me feel old! I've had myself convinced I'm 19 stop trying to wake me up! Hey '50's' is the new '30s' !!

Yep more finger babbling. Wordpad is the best listener. I'm going to start saving these files!

My Dad took me to see the movie "The Grand Prix" when I was about 10 years old. Circa 1966. Formula One was also on ABC's Wide World of Sports back then. Lorenzo Bandini's death at Monaco in 67 was on National TV. Safety wasn't a top priority needless to say. After that horrific incident it soon esclated. Has anyone ran the original Monaco track? Now those were the days; The old Spa, Nordschliefe (Nurburg) Silverstone, Monza all w/o chicanes. Correct I'm not a fan of them. Give me the Masta Kink any day. Although they called the 'kink' at the end of the Monaco tunnel the "Chicane du Port" it was a much faster left/right than the slower contemporary versions. Just ask Lorenzo.

I never really became a fanatic like I am now but I always would catch a race early Sunday mornings from time to time. In those days the Indy 500 was 'the' race in this country long before moonshine was being hauled around and Tony George ruined USAC. Then twelve years ago I got divorced. I had previously bought my Son a toy wheel and "Mario Andretti's Racing" Nintendo video game. When I left the house I took a copy of the game with me. Yeah I played it more than he. I went to a 'Gamestop' store to buy a wheel for my new place. When I got it home I took it out and thought, "This is a toy" and went back to the store. I asked the attendant if he had anything better. (Scott has heard this story a thousand times LOL) He pointed up to the top shelve in the back corner of the room that was covered in dust and grabbed a CD off the shelf. He said you'll have to use this game with it and you'll need a PC for both. The game was EA F1 Challenge and the wheel was the RED MOMO. Need I say more?

I used to record all the races including practice and qualifying. Boxes and Boxes of VHS. I threw them all out. I did keep one. There used to be a show on that highlighted previous decades races can't think of the name right now (comes with the territory). So if they were at Imola in 2004 they ran the race from 1994 at Imola. If you're any kind of a racing fan you already know that is the tape I kept.

As far as the ranking thing; It's like any other topic we've tossed around for debate... If it makes you happy then it can't be that bad. I personally don't follow my rankings but I do try be the fastest I can be even if it is for fun.

Check out my new setup. Finally got Eyefinity working. Got the new wheel also.

Mark, I have that tape too. I remember that day I was up at 7am on a Sunday! to watch the races live then.

I kno yall have seen the movie "Champions Forever", narrated by Stacey Keach.

Sweet rig Mark...who's the old guy with glasses driving it?:tongue::cool:

Adam I still have the VHS tape I recorded off of ESPN of the Spa 92 race. The incar sound of Sennas V12 as MS chased him up the hill to Malmedy in the Bennetton put a hook in me to this day!:party:

I got the BBC highlights of it on VHS but I've watched it so many times, the tape is a bit knackered now :frown:

My Dad took me to see the movie "The Grand Prix" when I was about 10 years old. Circa 1966. Formula One was also on ABC's Wide World of Sports back then. Lorenzo Bandini's death at Monaco in 67 was on National TV. Safety wasn't a top priority needless to say. After that horrific incident it soon esclated. Has anyone ran the original Monaco track? Now those were the days; The old Spa, Nordschliefe (Nurburg) Silverstone, Monza all w/o chicanes. Correct I'm not a fan of them. Give me the Masta Kink any day. Although they called the 'kink' at the end of the Monaco tunnel the "Chicane du Port" it was a much faster left/right than the slower contemporary versions. Just ask Lorenzo.

Those tracks were fantastic to watch the cars but as you say, they weren't very safe. There was a show on the BBC over here last week focusing on the period from Bandini's horrific accident till the mid-70's and how F1 and its drivers, in particular Jackie Stewart, pretty much forced circuit owners to update their tracks for safety reasons. They also included the worst bit of safety in F1 history in my opinion (Zandvoort 1973).

I used to record all the races including practice and qualifying. Boxes and Boxes of VHS. I threw them all out. I did keep one. There used to be a show on that highlighted previous decades races can't think of the name right now (comes with the territory). So if they were at Imola in 2004 they ran the race from 1994 at Imola. If you're any kind of a racing fan you already know that is the tape I kept.

F1 Decade was it called? I watched the whole series of the 1994 season on Veoh a couple of years back. It was an interesting look on what was actually happening at the time as they already knew what had happened and what was coming up so we could see a different side to F1. As you say, the Imola 1994 one was the obvious one to keep. When you watch the live broadcast of the race, you don't know all the things that happened, but when I watched that episode, I could understand a lot more about how much the teams and drivers knew what had happened.

Check out my new setup. Finally got Eyefinity working. Got the new wheel also.

Is it a good thing or a bad thing that I knew exactly what track you were on by the time you reached the first bridge? Nice setup though, although I guess the TV can get a bit distracting sometimes?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back