rF2 F1 1992 @ Long Beach - Sunday September 18th 2011

rFactor 2 Racing Club event
I have no idea Mohan. It would depend on your set up,your lines into the corner,where you break for the corner,your turn in,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
That's something to work out in the practice sessions.
Traction is always the part i struggle to get just right. I don't think anyone has a perfect rear set up that allows them to simply floor the throttle and have perfect traction,especially out of slow corners.
I just try and get the best rear set up i can and then 'squeeze' the throttle gently,instead of just 'slamming' it to the floor.

ok, thank you, i just was trying to understand why everybody has a better acceleration than mine ,starting from almost 0 KM/h.
You saw me on the start , normaly i jump well on the start , but when i put the 2th gear and 3h gear ,looks like my car lose HPs in straite line.(Maybe to short gears ?)
Well i am not a fan of hairpins anyway ahaha.
I will pratice on hairpin.Thank you.
]

Q1- P5 with 0.49.649
R1- i got too much wheel spin and that caught Kariem out and he clipped my gearbox which caused us to bunch up a little on the run down to turn 1. Avoided the mayhem on the first 2 laps and found myself in P3 when Ben crashed out breaking for turn 1.

LOL I thought i got pole and lead the race to win chas lapping upto p3!!!But if i crashed in turn 1 under braking and went out it must have been my ghost!!! i have heard he is quite a bit faster than me!!!!!

That's refreshing to hear Jason :)
Thanks Chas..appreciate yours and everyone's understanding. I realize being the new guy that I will have to get used to everyone's habits as well as they need to get used to my habits when defending, racing etc. but that will come with time. Just glad to be a part of this great series! Looking forward to Road America!!

This was my 4th or 5th race, I believe and I feel I can be of help to some of the new guys without sounding pretentious.

You all have noticed how racing this mod is mostly a war of attrition unless you grab pole or are in the first 4 spots on the starting grid.
Since I am not as fast as some of the guys here, I had to come up with a strategy other than "pedal to the metal" in order to finish the races better than last place or not at all. So here are my suggestions in the hope they may help others.

Car Setup: Number one, if you don't want to look like a chimney and break the motor, open up the radiator. The base setup is too closed except in really cold climates. I have seem many cars running around looking like James Bond Aston martin DB5.
Second, I have discovered that softening up the shocks and ARB gives me a lot more control in the turns and some badly needed grip. It also slows me down, especially in acceleration, so I keep a fairly low DF setting, as long as it is balanced.
With such setup I won't ever grab pole position (but one could run different setups for Q and race) and I am often on the losing end of 1:1 duels, but it keeps my car on the track and often that just enough to finish well.

Practice: I always practice with race fuel and soft tires. Before Q. I'll do a fewlaps with the Q. tires just to adjust my lines and braking points but the bulk of my practice is in race trim.

Qualification: I learned that the very worse starting place one can be in these races is the middle of the pack. Either you have enough juice to qualify at the front or you are better off staying back and be very careful on lap 1 not to engage in any position plays or make silly attempts to overtake on T1 or T2. If I see I have the speed with my Q trim and I can qualify in the top 6 then I'll try to go faster, but if, like yesterday, my best

Race strategy: on lap 1 I usually keep an eye on the mirrors to make sure no one is trying to overtake (and if they are I try to give them wide berth) and the other eye I train not on the turn but past it. yesterday I had to look over the walls for signs of smoke or flying debris and twice I avoided a crashfest doing that.

Once the group spreads out, I start looking at the pace of the drivers in front and behind. At this stage if someone is clearly faster than me, such as catching up from 3 or 4 seconds behind to being on my tail in half a lap, I let them pass. Slower drivers that are still faster than me, I make them earn the position but not to the point where I risk both our races. In other words, they have to pass me, but I won't defend the turn as completely as I could to avoid misunderstandings.
In the last few laps, no more Mr. nice guy but still if I see they are determined I may still choose to lose a position rather than end the race against the wall with 2 laps to go.

The actual race strategy is to keep the car on track and minimize mistakes. this works best when there are fewer drivers around to distract me. If I get into the grove I can actually lap pretty fast while still being fully in control and keeping some speed in reserve should I need to dissuade someone 7 seconds behind from mounting an attack (in that case, once they get to 5 seconds, I'll push a bit more hoping to send the message that I can match their speed, if they keep on coming,then they are faster and there is little I can do).

In the last 3 races this has worked out pretty well for me with a couple of podium finishes and a good number of top 5. I can honestly say that with this crowd if attrition wasn't a factor and everyone finished every race at the best of their abilities, I probably would not finish in the top 10 most of the times, but race strategy is part of racing so I don't feel bad about grabbing a podium finish over more deserving drivers.

I hope this helps someone.

That's sound advise Corrado :)
With that mind-set you'll do well and you'll find the speed will come too. You may have noticed that it's the same crowd you're racing with each week,with that you get to know the way others drive and how to behave around them. It took me maybe 3 or 4 months before i 'knew what i was doing' and began to improve in every dept!
Nice post Corrado :cool:

Thanks Chas. Actually, I joined Rothman's but when the practice server is on I am working and it's turned off as soon as am free.

I am planning to attend the Saturday races as soon as the RD series ends. Not sure I want to race the same track on consecutive days.

By the way, Yesterday I joined the site where they modded the F1-S-R 1992 we use and I downloaded their 1991 mod. It's very nice as well. A bit more grippy. I am also waiting for the final release of their 1994 mod.

by the way, our mod here has the same characteristic for all the cars right? Strangely, the other day I practiced with a different car and using the same setup and on the same track I was consistently a second faster. The car felt the same though. maybe it was the different FOV (this car has the wheel much closer to me)? You wouldn't think i'd make such a difference.

Corado i can relate to that post completely!
My father got me into sim racing in 2006... Before this period i had only played consol games!
When he supplied me with a wheel and pedals and a good pc after trying it out at his house in a racing seat/cockpit i was hooked!!
When i had my rig setup i was easily 3 secs a lap slower than him! For my first season in fsr his advise was "dont try and be fastest... Just try and finish and points will come"
Thats the best advise i have had! Then you pick up speed on the way ;)
Once you start winning races it opens then into how to manage your race's from another aspect like controling a race from the front or trying your best to make the driver infront make a small mistake so you can pass, when you get near your best level you wont be making many mistakes same goes for your competetors so passing is much harder than at the lower level! But its all relative and a fun learning curve.
Im at a level where im fast enough to win races... But not fast enough to challenge the fsr wc guys!!! There is a difference in speed between us! But like you corado i mainly test race fuel as thats what counts!
I generally do not do many laps practise for the RD stuff as its only club fun races.
Thats why i enjoy starting last and fighting through the field as its good for learning new things about over taking and defence... If i started from near the front everytime surely i would lose touch with the close quarters stuff;)
Feels like i been typing ages so will stop now!!!!
And any of the guys struggling or cant find a way at a certain track feel free to ask for a setup or advise!!! Like i said im not the fastest but can surely give some pointers as i started out as a ba k marker (ferry lapped me 8 times in monaco ws in 2006 on my second race lool)

Nightmare of a night for me.

Quali 1: Got a banker in early but then kept meeting traffic on all the other laps so was only P4.

Race 1: Made a good start and got past Wayne. Mohan was on the outside for turn 1 but I decided to stay behind and try to overtake at another point. Unfortunately I received a massive hit from behind and I shot across the inside of turn 1, hitting the bumps which thankfully caused the car to spin round else I would of hit Ben. Had to wait for the whole field to go past before having ot attempt a 3-point turn. Got gping but the rear left suspension had heavy damage so I pitted. Thankfully they were able to fix it but the rear end still felt weird, and I got going again, albeit 1 lap down on the top 5. I was pretty annoyed at this stage so I was just hammering it around trying to get the fastest lap. Thanks to Steve for moving over as well :). I managed to set the fastest lap before Ben took it off me. A couple of laps later I took it back and kept going quicker till the end. Nearly caught Chas who was a lap ahead in P2. Finished 6th.

Quali 2: Managed to get some traffic-free laps in and took pole, despite avoiding a car deciding to stop in hte middle of the start/finish straight.

Race 2: Made a good start and took the lead into turn 1. Was thankful I didn't get hit into turn 1 this time but I spun out of turn 2 and out of the race. Never did that in practce and my mind wasn't focussing on my own driving in race 2 but more of those around.

Thanks to Lee, RD, and all those who raced.

hehehe LOL Ben was it realy 8 laps? i cant remember it any more. But at that time whe were also driving a different game i think.

But indeed the things Corrado says is totaly thrue. Take your time and whe all can be there at a high level. Some stop improvingt quicker then others. Some are there quicker then others. But never give up. i have been there close to the top level. and i surely can think i was close. But never fealt it was possible fore me to win the championchip in FSR. because i couldnt win a race in my WC season. But what i did was finishing all races in the points and in the end i was on P3 in the championchip. So finishing is very very important and the advise you gave corrado are so much thrue. :).

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 352 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 247 10.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 301 13.3%