rF2 F1 1992 @ Imola - Sun February 6th 2011

rFactor 2 Racing Club event
Hey Lee Palmer, I didn't dnf in r1 or r2. r1 i came in Race 1, 9th and race 2, 6th.

You need to report it in the Ranking Support Thread

I believe there's a version rFactor version of Kyalami from that era

One other thing; Just curious (not that it makes a difference) for those of you who do have a sequential shifter are you using it when driving this mod or are you using your padels? I use the sequential shifter.. That's just me. I'm pretty sure they didn't have paddles that year. I don't use the graphical wheel either. Just the dash, all the data is on the dash with these cars. For me it's all about 'immersion'.

We raced at Kyalami 2 weeks ago :wink: and most cars had the paddles behind the wheel in 1992. The beginning of the 90's saw the gradual change from stick shift to paddle shift.

1989 paddles came into F1.

I thought it may of been but wasn't 100% sure. I believe it was Ferrari who started the trend?

I saw that after I posted that :$. You can still look at the evolution of other tracks. Monaco is one of the ones that has all the revisions.

I'm sure whichever track Lee picks, is going to be a great one. :) Mind you, I like all the tracks from that era :tongue:

I thought it may of been but wasn't 100% sure. I believe it was Ferrari who started the trend?

In Formula One, the first attempt at clutch-less gear changing was in the early 1970s, with the system being tested by the Lotus team. However, it would be much later that attention was turned back to the concept. In 1989, John Barnard and Harvey Postlethwaite, then-Ferrari engineers and designers, created a automated gearbox for use in the Ferrari 640 single-seater. Despite serious problems in testing, the car won its first race at the hands of Nigel Mansell. By 1994, the automated transmission was dominant in terms of gearbox technology, and the last F1 car fitted with a manual gearbox raced in 1995.

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semi-automatic_transmission

Holy Wikipedia. :p

So, it depends on the car. At least Andrea Moda had a shifter. That car was the basis of the FG01B that raced in 1996.

"Yes, Barnard came up with the idea of a semi automatic paddle shift gearbox, albeit unintentionally.
The reason that Ferrari developed a semi-automatic gearbox was because Barnard had designed a relatively slim and compact cockpit, to cut down on drag, but this meant that there was not enough room for the driver to move his arm to change gear. So, to keep the cockpit area as narrow as possible, yet still be able to change gear, Ferrari had to develop a wheel mounted system to replace the conventional H-pattern gearbox.

Now, as to the last car to use a manual gearbox - that could possibly have been Forti FG01B. At the very least, Forti were still using a H-pattern gearbox in 1995, and given that the car was pressed into service for the start of the 1996 season,"

McLaren 92: Shifter (it is said they joined williams in 92, but Senna is using a stick)
Ferrari: Paddles
Williams: Paddles
Benetton: Shifter

Anyway, I guess the most of the poorer teams still used a shifter, maybe not H-pattern, but seq. I'll stay with H-pattern.

I'm mighty angry at myself for injuring my ankle in a football/soccer game :( Specially considering I was doing some respectful and consistent lap times before the incident.
Missed a lot of fun by the looks of things. Anyways, looking forward to a quick recovery and return on the F1 '92 and WTM Club circuits ;)

Well, we did Interlagos and Imola from 1990 ... and if we follow the 1990's calendar, will mean that the next one should be Monaco.
Which scares me, because no matter how good drivers everyone around here (minus me), I feel like there will be a nice pile-up, if not on the first corner, then surely going uphill.
Might skip it and go for the fifth track from the 1990s calendar, which was Montreal. Great track IMHO. Hopefully my ankle will get better by then, so that I don't skip it.

I think you have a good idea there. Monaco is fun, but it will be a crash fest for sure. Since these races are for fun really, Montreal makes more sense. Let's go for it!

mmm.....Monaco would definetly be a challenge,that's for sure! Not much to Canada is there?
On a different note? I didn't know that some of the front runners were running "quali" tyres in the "race". Then pitting for new tyres. Is there any point in pitting in a 20 minute race? I wouldn't have thought so.
Just a thought ;-)

mmm.....Monaco would definetly be a challenge,that's for sure! Not much to Canada is there?
On a different note? I didn't know that some of the front runners were running "quali" tyres in the "race". Then pitting for new tyres. Is there any point in pitting in a 20 minute race? I wouldn't have thought so.
Just a thought ;-)

It was a good strategy for the front runners with the 180 kmh pit lane speed limit and the lightning quick pit stops in this mod.

Whatever track is decided, I think it should be from the early 1990's era. (at least for the time being)

I didn't know that some of the front runners were running "quali" tyres in the "race". Then pitting for new tyres. Is there any point in pitting in a 20 minute race? I wouldn't have thought so.
Just a thought ;-)

Some did at Imola and Interlagos. But in all honesty, unless you are out front on your own, it is unlikely to work.

Yeh,i never even thought about pitting. But then again......i knew i wouldn't be out front :frown:
Imola and Brazil do have a very short pit lane,entry/exit. And at 112mph?!! Jeez,lol,hard to imagine that they went alot quicker in the pits then. 60mph now isn't it? Must seems like a crawl nowadays lol
I won't be able to test online untill friday night Scott.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back