Apps Extremely simple app idea - how would I approach this?T

I've recently been wondering about the possibility of an AC app that would display a driver portrait that would be located within the selected car's skin folder (something like "portrait.dds" or "portrait.png") as well as the name and other info from ui_skin.json. Obviously it would change depending on which car is being focused on at the time. I feel like this would be a helpful app for replays and make them look a bit more like a TV broadcast.

Does such an app exist, and if not, would it be especially difficult to put together? I'm barely a python newbie, but I've studied programming before and am willing to learn, at least enough to cobble together something like this. I'm aware of the AC App Template so I might just take this on myself if no one else has.

Thanks!

No it's not gonna be particularly difficult to set up, navigating to the car's skin folder would be the hardest part. Loading image/json files and displaying them is no problem.

navigating to the car's skin folder would be the hardest part.
Which is fairly easy once you've looked at similar apps (similar as in: loading an image concerning a particular track, for instance, like MapDisplay).
I think the hardest part would be to make all those portraits.

I would strongly suggest to figure this out by doing it yourself. It's a lot of fun to do, but it might take some time :p
If not, let me know and I'll see what I can do. Sounds like a fairly simple thing to do, even for me :)

EDIT:
This app might also just do the trick for you:

Last edited:
Awesome! Thanks so much for the help guys. I'm going to try and reverse-engineer something, but if anyone has any basic python tutorials that might be relevant I'd appreciate it. (While I'm a beginner to Python I know about programming basics like variables, libraries, loops, etc etc).

Most python tutorials are based on "on-site" coding (no idea how to explain otherwise), with your code on the left and the "executable" on the right. With your own input.

For AC it's totally different where the input is provided by AC and the output will only show if there are no errors and if you tell AC to put it somewhere. So I found that all those tutorials weren't of much use. I "learnt" it by looking at other people's bits of code that sort of did the same thing as I wanted to have.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 559 17.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 379 11.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 341 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 243 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 390 12.1%