Extra Handbrake Options ?

Warren Dawes

Premium
I'd like to increase the realism of my Rally driving, so looking for any suggestions for adding a separate handbrake with my G25.
Currently I use the shifter in sequential mode for the handbrake and the paddles for gear change. That is probably a reasonable sense of realism for the modern WRC cars, but I'd love to be able to use the H Shifter for gear changing for older cars, and still have a realistic handbrake. It feels totally unrealistic to use a button for the handbrake to me, maybe one of the paddles is best but still doesn't feel like a handbrake.
I've seen other drivers using an extra handbrake, but I think they must be specially wired into the Controller. I don't think it is possible to use two separate controllers in RBR, I did a quick test with a joystick plugged into an extra USB slot, but only one controller was recognised in the game.

Does anyone know of a relatively easy way around this, I'm not keen on trying to modify my G25 myself?

EDIT: Please disregard this post and see my post after this one, there is no problem with the handbrake it was an oversight (stupidity) on my part not calibrating the handbrake in Windows before calibrating it in the game.

Cheers Al

Deleted Unneeded, Incorrect info.

Upvote 0
Well I feel like a fool now :redface: There is NO PROBLEM with the handbrake the problem exists between me, the handbrake and my brain :)

Warren emailed me and asked if I had used any software to calibrate the handbrake before trying to calibrate it in game; So after I :facepalm: I connected everything back up and loaded my Fanatec Porsche Wheel Property Page Software and sure enough there was the handbrake listed along with the Wheel and Club Sport Pedal entries.

A quick run through the Fanatec calibration set up wizard and then loading Richard Burns Rally and going to the Controller Profiles section and re applying the handbrake settings in game and I now have the FULL RANGE of calibration up to 10 bars of handbrake and handbrake turns work perfectly. I also have the full range of movement in a progressive manner rather than an on off switch like I used to have using the old sequential shifter as a handbrake.

A HUGE thanks and props to Warren for pointing this simple step out to me and I can now happily start using my new Manu - Factory Handbrake and write a proper review for the site.

Cheers Al

Upvote 0
Initial test video with the new handbrake, this is the first time using it and it is only temporarily mounted to the mounting plate using cable ties. I will be taking it to an engineering place tomorrow and getting a larger plate welded to the existing mounting stand on the GT Extreme cockpit to allow all four bolts to be used for secure mounting (see pictures for details on size difference between handbrake and cockpit mounting stand).

The initial test was very very positive with the progressive action of the potentiometer allowing me to get on the throttle earlier and control the slides with more accuracy. The feel of the unit is almost exactly what a real hydraulic handbrake feels like due to the adjustable tension spring you can see in the video and images.

DSCF1003.JPG

DSCF1004.JPG

DSCF1005.JPG

DSCF1006.JPG

Cheers Al

Upvote 0
Wow!!!. That sure does look better than my very delicate finger-tip taps on the G25 Shifter for handbrake action.
You are getting me very interested in this, but the length of the arm will provide a challenge to me to work out how to mount it, since I use an office chair and all of my controllers attached to the desktop.

It was also interesting to me to see how you have your racing rig situated in front of your desk. Gives me a few ideas. :wink:

Thanks for sharing this Al, we need a link in the RBR Forum to ensure all of our Rally Club Members see it. :thanks:

Upvote 0
Wow!!!. That sure does look better than my very delicate finger-tip taps on the G25 Shifter for handbrake action.
You are getting me very interested in this, but the length of the arm will provide a challenge to me to work out how to mount it, since I use an office chair and all of my controllers attached to the desktop.

It was also interesting to me to see how you have your racing rig situated in front of your desk. Gives me a few ideas. :wink:

Thanks for sharing this Al, we need a link in the RBR Forum to ensure all of our Rally Club Members see it. :thanks:

Thanks Warren, by all means add a link I would like them to see it. Final mounting position should be a bit more forward nearer to inline with the left edge of the wheel. The best part of my rig that I like is the screen mount, I got it from Harris Technology and it frees up so much desk room. I can pull it forward for sim racing and then push it back flat against the wall for regular computing / work.

The seat and stands is from Pagnian Imports on the Gold Coast and well worth the investment, best bang for buck upgrade after the monitor mount.

Cheers Al

Upvote 0
Thanks for sharing that Al, looks great.

Question about your setup since I see you have a KB on the desk. Do you use the racing rig when doing general computing stuff, or do you pull it out of the way put put an office chair in?

Upvote 0
Thanks for sharing that Al, looks great.

Question about your setup since I see you have a KB on the desk. Do you use the racing rig when doing general computing stuff, or do you pull it out of the way put put an office chair in?

Hi Aaron, if you have a look at the pictures I posted above, I have a second keyboard and mouse on a keyboard stand attached to the cockpit rig so I use those when racing.

They are just plugged in via USB to the front of my PC when using the racing rig and they don't conflict with the ones already plugged in sitting on the desktop that I use for work when the racing rig is put away.

When I am finished racing I disconnect the cockpit controllers and extra keyboard and mouse from the PC and slide the racing cockpit to a corner of my office, the monitor is on a Ergotron MX desk mount LCD arm so I push it back so it's flat to the wall freeing up all my desk space again, slide in my computer chair and I'm ready for work :)

Then when I want to race I just pull the monitor back out to the edge of the desk on the MX mount slide in the cockpit and plug in the controllers to the front USB ports and I'm away.

Cheers Al

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info Al.

The reason I am asking is because I am very short on space, so any cockpit would have to also be my office chair in my setup. I don't have a spot for it when not in use :)

I think my wife would have a fit if I replaced my office chair with a cockpit as my "office" is actually in a corner of the living room. She already hates that, but she has to live with it since she decided my old office, the dining room, should actually be used as a dining room. Go figure!

Upvote 0
Pete does the Frex use a Potentiometer or a micro switch? One of the reasons I went with this option was I was using my Fanatec Seq shifter as well but found that the micro switch on off wasn't progressive enough, I was going to order the Frex but founf this one so went this way. I've seen a couple of videos of the Frex and it looks like it uses a potentiometer in the videos. Really interested in your review.

I also found this one from Spain last night as well and it looks like a nice unit. It's good to see there are some quality options on the market now for the rally nuts.

20110510_001.jpg

EC Sim Hardware Pro Handb

Cheers Al

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info Al.

The reason I am asking is because I am very short on space, so any cockpit would have to also be my office chair in my setup. I don't have a spot for it when not in use :)

I think my wife would have a fit if I replaced my office chair with a cockpit as my "office" is actually in a corner of the living room. She already hates that, but she has to live with it since she decided my old office, the dining room, should actually be used as a dining room. Go figure!

Hi Aaron, while the seat is comfortable enough, even with it all the way back the keyboard tray would be too awkward to use all the time as your primary way if using the PC for other than sim racing. Maybe you could make cockpit your chair at the head of the dining room table :)

Any spare bedroom, it really doesn't take up that much space.

Cheers Al

Upvote 0
Pete does the Frex use a Potentiometer or a micro switch? One of the reasons I went with this option was I was using my Fanatec Seq shifter as well but found that the micro switch on off wasn't progressive enough, I was going to order the Frex but founf this one so went this way. I've seen a couple of videos of the Frex and it looks like it uses a potentiometer in the videos. Really interested in your review.

I also found this one from Spain last night as well and it looks like a nice unit. It's good to see there are some quality options on the market now for the rally nuts.

20110510_001.jpg

EC Sim Hardware Pro Handb

Cheers Al

Switch I afraid but have a look at the next pic and you'll see why it seems more like a pot:

5712522300_38fa37a882_m.jpg
5711961935_d1949df052_m.jpg

Haven't even had chance to take the mat off it yet. I have my rally seat on the floor so I will have to build a small center console to put the h'brake on. I'm thinking I will wire it into a M$ wireless controller so I can plug the Frex seq shifter into the GT2 wheel. Roy Visser has done some work with the Frex stuff - have you seen his vids?

Pete

Upvote 0

Warren I just realised the handbrake actually has a clamp built into it to mount to a desk so you could use it quite easily with your set up.

If you look at the side on view you will see a that it is cut out to mount on the edge of the desktop and the black rod you can see has a clamp head on it and an Allen key socket on the bottom to tighten it to the desk.

Cheers Al

Upvote 0
If you look at the side on view you will see a that it is cut out to mount on the edge of the desktop and the black rod you can see has a clamp head on it and an Allen key socket on the bottom to tighten it to the desk.
It's actually a black knob that tightens the clamp onto the desk and there are two holes at the lever end where you could put additional screws if you wanted :D

Pete

Upvote 0
Warren I just realised the handbrake actually has a clamp built into it to mount to a desk so you could use it quite easily with your set up.

Thanks Al, that should work for my setup then. The arm is probably too long for a normal positioning, but that could be overcome by making a lower bracket shelf for my desk, or "heaven forbid", cutting the top off the arm.

I'll have to pay you a visit soon so I can see it for myself and "test drive" it. :wink:

Upvote 0
Thanks Al, that should work for my setup then. The arm is probably too long for a normal positioning, but that could be overcome by making a lower bracket shelf for my desk, or "heaven forbid", cutting the top off the arm.

I'll have to pay you a visit soon so I can see it for myself and "test drive" it. :wink:

I'm up your way for Rally Queensland from tomorrow until Monday but any time after that I will be back and you are welcome to come down and have a go and check it all out.

Cheers Al

Upvote 0
Switch I afraid but have a look at the next pic and you'll see why it seems more like a pot:

5712522300_38fa37a882_m.jpg
5711961935_d1949df052_m.jpg

Haven't even had chance to take the mat off it yet. I have my rally seat on the floor so I will have to build a small center console to put the h'brake on. I'm thinking I will wire it into a M$ wireless controller so I can plug the Frex seq shifter into the GT2 wheel. Roy Visser has done some work with the Frex stuff - have you seen his vids?

Pete

Looks so nice Pete, the Frex gear looks so well built. I haven't seen the vids would love a link.

Cheers Al

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 100 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 132 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 180 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 354 27.9%