Experiences asked with single (large) television setups for racing in R3E

My current racing setup is my Playseat Revolution half under my desk, with right on the edge behind my T300 my Dell U2713H which I primarily have for my other hobby photography. It isn't an ideal setup because I don't like to clear the space to use it as a normal desk. Way to much hassle since the Playseat isn't that light. So photography is a bit to the background at this moment. With my current setup I run on a field of view of 0,5x in R3E.

There are two options two which I'm attracted. A triple screen setup, although from immersion perspective a very nice option. But not my favorite mainly because of the technical hassle. I'm attracted to the use of a Sim Lab TV stand with a reasonable sized TV with low input lag placed right behind my T300 wheel above my leg and Playseat. The distance between eyes and screen wil be around 80 cm (or 31,5 inch for the non metric guys). But what I can't really find are real world examples and setups and tips. Second pro for this setup is that the room which I use then can double as a movie and game room for my little 7 year old lovely daughter. For that I would only have to flatten my Playseat's backrest.

I'm well informed about the differences between dedicated computer displays and televisions. That isn't the problem. What is a problem for me is how to choose the right size. From the things what I have found about this topic is that bigger does not equals to better. Sizes like 55" can be experienced as to big by some.

When I do my calculations with the Project Immersion calculator I can't imagine that it's totally spot on accurate. Of course it's (logically) based on peripheral vision as where the focalpoint of an eye is theoretic and make the calculations based on theory. But because theory is not always the same in real life, I would like to hear the experiences of people runing the kind of setup I would like. I would like to run with a 0,9x to 1,1x fov. What size of screen do you have? On what distance of your eyes? Which field of view do you use in R3E?

I'm aware that this is a kind of hardware question. But for me it's really a specific question for R3E to other R3E racers. So by all means, if moderate as hardware specific feel free to move the topic. But as I hope on experiences from my fellow R3E racers and not so from other games, I hope it's already in the right place.

Looking forward to your experiences and opinions. Thanks in advance!

A couple of years ago I ran a 50" plasma with fov at 0.7 and about 28" distance, but I gave it up because it just felt a bit overpowering after a while.
I think if I was changing now I would get a 32 or 35" as my 24" is probably a bit smaller than I like. I run it at 0.6 and am 23" distance.

My fellow racer, i changed my 27inch monitor to a 34inch ultrawide, distance from my eyes is almost 70-75cm and im running at 0.8-0.9 fov.
For me the extra wide view is the best, since i cant because of space, to run triples.
2560*1080 gave me the view i wanted, to run with no issue, my favorite cockpit view.
Plus its perfect for 21:9 movies.

Hope you ll find the best for your needs, i was at your spot and looking for a monitor over a month. Happy with my choice. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I switched from triples to a Dell 34" ultra wide curved 3440x1440p running the same fov as Vangelis. I also have a black hood around my monitor to block out any distracting back ground lights and look to add a head tracking unit to make it a cheap giant vr:)
Very happy with the lower heat, power consumption and not having to constantly upgrade my hardware to power triples at a decent framerate.
I7 2600 with evga gtx 970

I switched from triples to a Dell 34" ultra wide curved 3440x1440p running the same fov as Vangelis. I also have a black hood around my monitor to block out any distracting back ground lights and look to add a head tracking unit to make it a cheap giant vr:)
Very happy with the lower heat, power consumption and not having to constantly upgrade my hardware to power triples at a decent framerate.
I7 2600 with evga gtx 970

What do you use for the hood David?

Still waiting for the pictures ;)
I am deciding either to go for triplets (already have 2 24" monitors) or big screen TV or 34" ultra wide monitor.
Could you post some screenshots from from cockpit view, so I could easier decide.
sorry for the delay....ill try to get some pics up shortly, its been a crazy busy summer and I haven't done much racing in the past few months.

Still waiting for the pictures ;)
I am deciding either to go for triplets (already have 2 24" monitors) or big screen TV or 34" ultra wide monitor.
Could you post some screenshots from from cockpit view, so I could easier decide.
You could play around with the FOV calculator at "http://www.projectimmersion.com/fov/index.php" to get an idea of how things will look based on various monitor sizes, display ratio, and viewing distance.

50" 16:9 TV
upload_2017-8-15_8-27-23.png

34" 21:9 UltraWide
upload_2017-8-15_8-27-45.png

Triple 24" 16:9
upload_2017-8-15_8-30-44.png

Last edited:
Well, after long thoughts I have bitten the bullet. I bought myself a Sim-Lab triple monitor stand and 3 27" AOC full HD IPS 60fps monitors.

30191-1506792535-585fa64e77f934ba2d990ba269888080.jpg

Though maybe not the most optimum (yet) for R3E, it's a blast. I had prepared myself for a far worse experience in R3E since all the negative commenting about the lack of proper triple support. The mirrors are pretty much horrible rendered, but other than that, the skewed lines are not as bad as I expected and it's pretty doable and nice to being able to look at upcoming corners and looking through corners. For sure it would be nice if proper triple support would be added, but until that time it ain't that bad.

And for now it's running on a single Asus AMD Radeon RX470 4GB videocard. And with medium settings and not to high AA settings, it runs pretty decent at 60 fps. Probably somewhere during the winter I will build myself a game computer since I now run 1 computer with two different purposes and screen setups. My triple for sim racing, and my single screen 27" WQHD Dell for photography etc. And I can tell you, switching between the screens in Windows 10 is the most annoying thing possible. Because when I run both screen setups at the same time, it constantly messing with the desktop settings.
And then I can give myself for example a Nvidia Geforce 1080 for enabling higher AA and higher overall video graphic settings.

When you don't take the videocard in consideration, because the high end cards are as expensive as a medium spec pc on it's own... The price between a good low input lag large TV and a suitable TV stand, or a triple stand like mine and triple 60 fps full HD monitors is pretty much nothing.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back