General Experienced Modders ... Please Help Change Drive Shifting Animation to Rely on Button Press Instead of Default RPM Range

One thing that takes away from the immersion through the VR cockpit view is the driver's virtual hand will go from the wheel to the gear lever to shift only when the RPMs are redlining in a specific range. Sometimes through numerous corners I want to stay in gear instead of shift, or maybe I want to shift before redline.

Is there any way to assign this function from the default setting of high RPM to ... say, the driver goes to touch the gear lever only whenever the clutch is pressed in?

Apparently the timing for the animation can be modified in 'driver' folder (steam>steamapps>common>assetto corsa>content>driver>Drivers_ocolus). In my folder there are a couple of ini files in there (car specific) that have the following info:

[MODEL]
NAME=driver
POSITION=0, 0, 0

[STEER_ANIMATION]
NAME=steer.ksanim
LOCK=360

[SHIFT_ANIMATION]
BLEND_TIME=200
POSITIVE_TIME=200
STATIC_TIME=4
NEGATIVE_TIME=200
PRELOAD_RPM=7900
INVERT_SHIFTING_HANDS=0

[HIDE_OBJECT_0]
NAME=DRIVER:HELMET

[HIDE_OBJECT_1]
NAME=DRIVER:Driver_Body_SUB2

I'm assuming the files above are tied to this animation.

Is there any way I can replace "PRELOAD_RPM=7900" with a command to have the driver move his arm based on having the CLUTCH pedal pushed in instead of any RPM dependancy? I have a Fanatec 2.5 Wheelbase and Clubsport pedals with Fanatec's shifter. I'd also like to do this with the handful of cars I use which DON'T have a file in this HDD folder. Is this possible?

That's a good suggestion but I want to replace the animation dependency on RPM with a game button input (clutch in this case). That way the game VR animation will mimic my real life motion so it's perceived the same in VR.

Have you had a chance to look into that Stereo? Or do you know someone on this forum well versed in AC's files and programming that might be able to do this?

That's a huge undertaking for a pretty niche request...it probably is possible somehow, similar to the "open doors while driving" mod that's part of CSP. But is it really necessary? I mean how much time is there between pushing the clutch and actually changing gear? For me both happen pretty much simultaneously.

Darn do you think it would be a huge undertaking vs changing an assignment in a file somehow? I'm not familiar with modding AC so you would know better than me.

Yes they happen simultaneously which is why I made the request. Otherwise the game only makes the animation at redline, which is not always the case with playing in VR and really zaps the emersion when everything else is nearly perfect.

Is there anything I could do to help?

The driver shifting in cockpit view does not appear to be a VR exclusive thing. It happens in the regular 2D game too. The question is, where in AC codes or files is this defined so it can be changed?

After 10 weeks, finally received the Valve Index VR headset. The 144hz, higher resolution (than Rift CV1), and larger FOV are a phenomenal combination in racing immersion.

The only oddity/ deterrent now is the game's VR driver's shifting animation not matching up with mine in real time. In the occasion we both sync, it's very noticeably more immersive.

Someone ... please direct me where to go to get this modded/fixed: Game's driver's shifter animation only activates when the clutch is pressed (for all manual 5/6/7 speed cars) ... and if there's a way to change the timing to shift lever and back again, that would be great too. Please advise.

But is it really necessary? I mean how much time is there between pushing the clutch and actually changing gear? For me both happen pretty much simultaneously.
Yes they happen simultaneously which is why I made the request.
Just set preload_rpm higher than redline and he won't go for it until you actually shift. I don't know if it'll look ok.
No offense, but isn't this your answer?

No, because there's only a handful of cars that have this file. The 3 cars I typically drive in the game have no file so this information is defined elsewhere (unknown) in AC, which is why I'm requesting some global setting mod that applies the same to all cars: clutch press causes shift animation, overriding each car's default RPM/shift animation trigger. The virtual driver's hand should stay on the shifter until the clutch is depressed. The clutch pedal is also analogue ... so IDK how it would be defined? Maybe if the clutch is pressed 5%+ (to account for any dead zones) the shift animation starts.

After playing a while yesterday in VR, pushing in the clutch and the actual shift are not exactly simultaneous BUT physically reaching for the shifter as I physically push in the clutch do happen simultaneously, so this requested AC mod would make my movements exactly match physically and in game.

Last edited:
No, because there's only a handful of cars that have this file. The 3 cars I typically drive in the game have no file so this information is defined elsewhere (unknown) in AC, which is why I'm requesting some global setting mod that applies the same to all cars: clutch press causes shift animation, overriding each car's default RPM/shift animation trigger. The virtual driver's hand should stay on the shifter until the clutch is depressed. The clutch pedal is also analogue ... so IDK how it would be defined? Maybe if the clutch is pressed 5%+ (to account for any dead zones) the shift animation starts.

After playing a while yesterday in VR, pushing in the clutch and the actual shift are not exactly simultaneous BUT physically reaching for the shifter as I physically push in the clutch do happen simultaneously, so this requested AC mod would make my movements exactly match physically and in game.
those cars have those files, its just that their data folder is encrypted into a data.acd file. You can decrypt it with some tools, but this will prevent you from racing online with the specific cars.

Best bet is getting this tool: https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/assetto-corsa-car-tuner.13946/

Create a new tune of the car you want to change, name it "VR_shift" or whatever and change nothing else in the program interface. The resulting car folder should have the decrypted data folder which you can then change the needed files in, and it wont interfere with online racing.

Else, like you want with some global mod, no one on here can help you with that, simple as that.

thanks for the reply and information.

In that tune file is there any way to assign the clutch pedal press to correspond with the shift animation only?

If so, yes I'll do that same process for each car I typically drive.

In that tune file is there any way to assign the clutch pedal press to correspond with the shift animation only?
No.

You can just use the trick Stereo posted above so that the hand moves only once you change your gear input. Like we said you can't just randomly assign existing animations to button presses.

No, because there's only a handful of cars that have this file. The 3 cars I typically drive in the game have no file so this information is defined elsewhere (unknown) in AC, which is why I'm requesting some global setting mod that applies the same to all cars
I'm sorry, I wasn't aware you were aiming to adjust encrypted cars. You mentioned it in your last sentence, totally missed that.

I'll just live with it I guess. I spent about 4 hours in VR racing yesterday and, just using the same few cars, I'm getting better at shifting at the right RPM, nearly matching the virtual driver. It's only mostly out of sync when I'm redlining but don't want to shift into higher gear going around corners.

Thanks for the input everyone.

As I branch off to other cars in AC in VR, the shift timing per car can be vastly different than mine, which is obnoxious in VR.

Is there any way to just turn off the shift animation alltogether so the virtual driver's hands are just always on the steering wheel without a shift animation at all?

I tried this suggestion, loaded the game, then tried to load a round. When the round's about to load, it crashed back to the AC main menu.
I ended up renaming the "shift.ksanim" to something else and then adding a text document, renaming that to "shift.ksanim" and that worked like a charm. thanks for pointing out this file to resolve my issue.

Sorry, forgot to mention that for cars that also have a car_shift.ksanim (that's usually the stick movement), you'd have to do it for both.

Edit: Had a look at it, and on a ks car with both, renaming only shift.ksanim would make the session crash on load, but not after renaming both (without creating a dummy file). This was under csp, but hopefully it's the same under vanilla too.

actually..... someone in assetto corsa mod central facebook group had made a car shifting animation that depends on what gear you are, for example you shift in 1st gear it will shift on 1st gear and so on, and its not using the ping pong animation, its just like how stick shift looks like or position in real life when in gear, he also animated the car pedals that reacts on the potentiometer of the pedals meaning it'll read the pedal input, silv98 also made a tutorial on the animation of handbreak and signal lights here the link on the demo
just go to his channel for the tutorial, better go on github and read if you wanna learn some stuff https://github.com/ac-custom-shaders-patch/acc-extension-config/wiki/Misc-–-KN5-Encryption heres the link it has some stuff about modding

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 313 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 215 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 211 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 157 7.7%
  • < 5 years