*.exe Mods

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you guys feel about *.exe mods? I recently downloaded two track mods that came packaged as executables - Le Mans '72-'86 and VIR3, both from rFC.

The Le Mans mod in particular got very high marks, so I can't imagine that the mods are outright evil.

When I fired up the VIR3 exe I pointed it to a temp folder to unpack and move into rFactor later. The exe errored out when I tried this and insisted that I point it directly to my rFactor install.:damnit:

So what do you all think? Is it safe to let the exe take over and drill right into my rFactor install?

Having installed the WSC 1970 mod I'm dyin to cut loose at La Sarthe in my shiny new 917/K. And VIR is one of those tracks you just need for SpeedWC and Grand-Am DPs. Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom you can toss my way.

.exe's are fine. I like them, because it adds a bit more professional touch to the work. The only thing i have against .exe's. Is that it most place a folder in the start bar. I know i can just right click and delete out of my start bar, but it is a pain.

.exe's are fine. I like them, because it adds a bit more professional touch to the work. The only thing i have against .exe's. Is that it most place a folder in the start bar. I know i can just right click and delete out of my start bar, but it is a pain.

They also put music and new movies on which I usually delete. With a .exe mod I usually install it to my downloads folder and then delete the bits I don't need and copy it over.

I don't mind exe installers too much. Its a small hassle as i'd rather just extract and install(because I always delete any custom ui/music.. which is solved by just installing to a random folder anyhow). I do see a need sometimes as some people need help installing mods because they can't grasp the concept of just dropping the Gamedata/rFm folders into their rfactor install :)

You guys ROCK.

Everything worked out great with the .exe mods! With all the great mods that're available, rFactor has officially taken over my life.

Thanks again to all the respondants for your words of wisdom and helpful tips. Without a solid community like this one I might not have ever trusted user-created content enough to actually install it.

See you on the track!:peace:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 130 13.1%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 103 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 94 9.5%
  • < 4 years