Exclusive Marcel Offermans / Studio 397 rFactor 2 Interview Part 2

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rF2 Studio 397 Interview Pt 2.png

In the second part of our interview with Marcel Offermans of Studio 397, we discuss the rF1 tyre model, the future potential of road cars in the sim, gJED development and much more...

If you missed it the first time, part 1one of our interview can be found here, and our recent interview with Tim Wheatly of ISI and Studio 397 can be found here.

R
D
: At the moment 90% of the cars that come out for rF2 are race cars recently. Will this remain the case or could the odd road car make it into a first party release in future?

MO: For us, race cars is more the preferred direction because in the end, we are a racing simulation. We are all about competition and racing these cars, so that makes the most sense. We are also continuing the Third Party Affiliate programme, so if we can work on some street cars in that way, we might also do that, but it has a little bit less focus than race cars for us.

RD: Can you share with us some of your future content plans? I appreciate you probably can't say what will be coming, but could you give us an idea of volume of releases and potential frequency?

MO: It is still a little bit too early to talk about exact volumes of cars and tracks. We are still expanding the team at this moment, so it depends a little bit on how that goes in the next couple of months, but I'll definitely be coming back to that question in probably a couple of months to tell you a little bit more about that. Our intention is to be more open to the community, to share our roadmap. Not that everything we say is set in stone but it is a direction we are working in and we like to share that with people.

RD: It was mentioned there was a proposal to bring the rF1 tyre model into rF2 , generating a number of both positive and negative comments. Do you have anything to say on the subject to maybe address some of the concerns raised?

MO: Yeah, I've already given a short explanation in the forums when people started discussing that. I think it is a fair discussion. If you look at the rFactor 2 tyre model, it is definitely a more advanced than the one we had in rF1. There is no debate about that what so ever. But in the past couple of months, I've talked to a lot of people who make physics for cars, also people that do that professionally, who take rFactor and make physics for cars used by racing teams. Some of these are saying that yes, the new tyre model is more advanced, but with the data they have, it is actually easier for them to work with the rFactor 1 tyre model and end up with results that are pretty close to the data that they’ve got. So that is the reason why they prefer working with that model. That's the reason why I'm considering it as an option, to enable more people to work with rFactor 2. Again, stressing the point that we are trying to be an open simulation to the whole community, with as many people working with it as we can. In the end, the overall quality of the physics will determine whether people like it or not. Yes there is probably more to like in the new model, but as you well know, there are many other simulations out there that are still using the rF1 tyre model that are also creating quite nice cars. So I'm thinking why not have the benefit of that and offer an option that lets people decide what they want to drive in the end.

RD: So to play Devils Advocate on this, couldn't you counter the need to use the rF1 model by creating better support documentation and maybe revisiting the design ideas behind how one creates the rF2 tyres to help make the rF2 tyre a no brainer choice, rather than reverting to a known quantity in the rF1 model?

MO: Yeah I think that is a very valid point. In actually, bringing the two camps together and having an environment where you can work with both models is good first step. We can then actually look at one of the car models that is for example using the old tyre model and then create a new tyre model for that car, comparing the two and probably in that process learning a lot about how you can convert from the old to the new model. Right now, not that many people are intimately familiar with both that can actually start looking at such comparisons and maybe providing tools that can help people migrate. It is also a way to bring those two parties together and try and see if we can end up with a model that everybody likes and everybody can work with, which might be the existing rFactor 2 model, which might be an evolutionary step or something like that. That's something we want to start exploring more and to do that we first want to bring those parties together.

RD: So are you saying that maybe the top rF1 tyre model shod mods the studio may be interested in working with those modders and helping them along the journey to creating rF2 spec tyres?

MO: That was the first step we took engaging with those people and encouraging them to use rFactor 2 more, and to do that, we had to support the old model. People have said on the forums as well that wasn't actually a big step for us, as the old tyre model is available, it just never made it into the retail builds, so it wouldn't be too hard for us to enable it and it’s definitely a move we are making as part of engaging those people and seeing how we can migrate to a newer model.

RD: You mentioned you worked with Reiza on Automobilista in that past. Is their a chance we will maybe see some crossover in the future between either AMS or the yet to be title Reiza 17 and rFactor 2?

MO: We have a very good relationship with Reiza and Renato. Like you said, over the last year or so we have been active in its development. The whole roadmap and direction of Automobilista is obviously something that Renato determines. In that sense, we were just programmers to help them out, so I'm not yet sure which direction Renato wants to take. He was obviously informed of what we were doing before the public knew. Even before we started to work with Reiza, he knew that I was already involved with ISI, so that has never been a secret or a problem and I talked to Renato last week just to explore ways in how we could collaborate. We haven't made any decisions yet, but we are still discussing our options. I think in general, Renato likes some features of rFactor 1 better, so he'll probably stick with that and build on that. Even if you do that, there are plenty of things we could collaborate on.

RD: gJED tool. I understand it still needs some development to become a complete tool. Do you have any plans for this or similar going forward?

MO: Yes we are looking at that. There are actually two parts to the modding tools that I think are very interesting there. First is our 3D Studio plugins that we have had for a long time, and that might need some upgrading because they don't work with the latest 3D Studio version yet. The other is gJED, our tool that makes it a little bit easier to import 3D scenes in a quite common format, and bring them into the game. That's obviously still under development. It was still under development when we took over, so we will definitely be trying to do some more work stabilising and finishing that. We will probably be looking at how those tools will evolve when we move to DX11, so I think we will take all of those at the same time and try to evolve them a little bit more.

RD: Matchmaker is something you have mentioned in the past. Can you tell us any more about this?

MO: All the basic features are there. We have our dedicated servers - anybody can run one, it's maybe not as easy as we would like to set that up, but matchmaking is an area where we want to improve things and make things easier. We will probably start with leveraging the workshop a little bit more for online racing as well. As you know, it's easy for people now to just download content from the workshop, but if you log into a server right now that is running a mod you don't have, if you are lucky, Get Mod is enabled and you will be able to download it directly from the server. That puts quite a strain on the actual server and might not have as quick a download link as you would like, so one thing we are looking into in that area is to see if we can hook up dedicated servers to the workshop as well and have them tell clients "well I'm actually running this workshop item so if you want to join the server that's what you need to subscribe to" and allow clients to quickly download it through Steam and then join the server. I think that's one improvement that will make things easier. We couldn't really do that in the past because we also had the non Steam version to think about, so it wouldn't benefit everybody. Since we've moved to Steam only that's an area we can improve. In general, in Match Making, we want to make it a lot easier for people to find stuff, find races, that will probably include no only showing what races are on right now, but also have some kind of calendar where people can look and see when certain league or other races are coming up later in the week, so they can maybe get a notification when that race is coming up and actually join it on time.

RD: That makes me wonder if you would be interested in replicating an iRacing type environment in future. Things like ranked events and safety rating type features?

MO: Yeah I think some kind of rating would make sense for rFactor as well. If you look at how leagues work nowadays, they mostly work on the basis of reputation and knowing drivers, teams and some of them are invite only where you first need to prove yourself before you can race somewhere. I think things like having a rating would help people make those choices which would be good for leagues. Steam offers so capability that may allow us to offer that. Do we want to take it as far as iRacing as to say that we have almost only official competitions and nothing else, probably not because we want to stay more open, more community focused and also have leagues figure out how they want to run things. We are going to keep it a little bit more open but at the same time trying to consolidate all different things out there, so people have a better overall feel of what's happening in the world of rFactor.

RD: Can we expect an overhaul on the wet weather system and other racing features of the sim?

MO: One recent change was already to tweak the spray to be more consistent with the overall wetness of the track. We will be looking at further tweaks, such as better linking ambient and track temperatures to all parts of the physics engine. We are also still working on further tweaks for Stock Car racing. A question we get often is the one about raindrops on the windshield and working wipers. There was a tech demo for that long time ago, but that did not make it into the build. We will probably revisit that after moving to DX11.

We hope you enjoyed our recent rFactor 2 interviews with Marcel and Tim. Keep an eye out for another exclusive rFactor 2 related interview in the next few weeks....

Lastly let me just give my sincere thanks to Marcel for taking the time to speak with us regarding rFactor 2's future development direction. Much appreciated.

Check out the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for the latest news and discussion regarding the simulation. Have a browse through our extensive mod database, share a setup or even better come along and join in the fun in one of our awesome club racing events!

Did you enjoy our interview? Looking forward to how Studio 397 will develop the game? Have anything you want to know about the sim? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Heat Haze has been in the game since 2012:

UPDATE 4 Changelog (MAY 18, 2012)
Now applying heat haze to graphics, note new PLR option “Heat FX Fade Speed” which can be used to completely disable.

in the player.JSON:
"Heat FX Fade Speed":30,
"Heat FX Fade Speed#":"Speed at which exhaust heat effects reduce by half (0 to completely disable)",

:)

Personally I think the term road car is a bit misleading. The way I see it a proper simulation should offer wide variety of driver's cars. Something like 1984 camaro, 1995 toyota corolla or 2016 alfa romeo mito are pretty much boring and unintersting useless filler and bad idea for a racing sim. But at the same time I think road cars like caterham r620, ferrari f40, honda s2000, lotus elise, corvette zr1 or integra type-r are all something that are great fun to drive in realistic sim. And can be raced just fine.

A good car in any racing sim is a car that can be driven at a track and is fun doing just that. If you choose wisely those cars can add a lot of variety and bring lots of people who may just buy the sim just for one car. And it is not like these road cars are boring either. Sure someone will want to drive just a gt3 car and nothing else but I don't think a racing simulator should be held hostage to some purists who think their definition (=only modern gt cars and single seaters) of a racing sim is the only true one.

Well, rF2 isnt a street car simulater, but a Racing Car Simulator.
And that's your opinion. And not even based on facts. Here is what is said on the rf2 site:
"Presenting rFactor, the racing simulation series from Image Space Incorporated. After successfully creating over a dozen products in the previous ten years, Image Space took the next logical step, creating a completely new technology base and development process. This newisiMotor 2.0 environment became the foundation on which many exciting products were built for years to come.

Our newest creation, rFactor 2, creates a dynamic racing environment that for the first time puts you the driver into a racing simulator, instead of just a physics simulator. Changing tires, track surfaces, grip, weather and lighting make rFactor 2 a true challenge to any sim racer."
http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/

Everybody has their own ideas what rf2 is and what it could be. I'd hate to see rf2 go into some weird direction where the content becomes some kind of definition or statement about what true sim racer should like or he is not a true sim racer at all. Kinda like making it into contest who likes the purest stuff so we can laugh at the people who like the wrong stuff.

I just don't get this whole mindset at all where people are actively trying to prevent certain kind of content being done just because they personally do not find it interesting. I get that people have their own special things they like and want more of that stuff but to attack anything that doesn't fit inside their own sphere of things they love is just plain odd. What's the point? People should focus on suggesting stuff they want in the game. Not focus on attacking people who have different ideas.

All I said that some variety is good. Couple of road cars (like f40, s2000 or ariel atom) thrown into the mix will only make things better and help to sell the realistic sim to more people. If rf2 has the best physics then the best way to show it off is to have well chosen variety of content. Even then most of that should be race cars. Maybe even modern race cars. But not all. But to go so deep into that and say that that should be the only kind of content is just the wrong way to go about it. Rf2 is after all a racing simulator. Not a purist's modern day racecar selfie.

I guess, the people wich want to drive street cars with rF2 are the purists and not the GT3 and Singleseater driver...
It is always sad when people read your post and twist it into something completely different just so they can call you "not pure enough" between the lines.

• Deleted member 130869

It escaped my mind but it's not so insignificant. The GetMod bit where the ISI-released (or Steam WorkShop-available) content doesn't need to be hosted on users' DropBox is a very good integration idea and addresses a minutely raised point a while back on the forums.

@Marcel Offermans I know you have a lot of things to do but I will spend 2 minutes of my life for you guys, so I hope you can read this....

I read a lot of users on the forums, talking about lifetime license and non lifetime one...so I had a couple of ideas...

Lifetime License can be changed in a Dlc season pass, like Reiza did with their indiegogo campaign, could be a great way to say thanks to all the lifetime buyers wich followed rF2 during this years and moved to steam (for some of them was a pain, really, I don't understand this but some of them still don't sleep because of this...)

After that, multiplayer should be free (supporting dedicated servers) for all but there will be an extra service too, wich you need to pay throught subscription, like this...

Thanks to luminis background, we can have a portal online (that can be used in-game too) with this services:

- subscribers can create any server (a system like Left4dead 2 servers) with their favourite settings, cars and tracks but open only to subscribers (a sort of server on demand sevice for subscribers).
- rating system free for all, but only subscribers can compare their stats for every race with other racers
- subscribers can record and save their race and evaluate it thanks to online telemetry service
- subscribers can have and share a team page (like battlefield platoons) where they can save setups, exchange them or promote their events...
-...subscribers can be hired from teams like on real life (something like toca or grid system but with real people)...
- thanks to team management pages, we can have championship events where each team can join with their squad and battle other teams with auto championship score system for drivers and teams...
- and so on...

Last edited:
Personally I think the term road car is a bit misleading. The way I see it a proper simulation should offer wide variety of driver's cars. Something like 1984 camaro, 1995 toyota corolla or 2016 alfa romeo mito are pretty much boring and unintersting useless filler and bad idea for a racing sim.
In my opinion, those cars are great. It comes down to the physics engine and how it behaves with softer low-total-grip cars. In some physics engines, road cars drive like they're softer than a pillow and have the responses of an elephant, and everything feels like it has to be done in slow-motion including steering inputs, how cars/tyres go into slip and out of slip back into grip, etc. While in other physics engines, the road cars still have a sense of weight and sluggishness to them but while also feeling relatively stiff and direct like most vehicles in real life, and with the car going into and out of grip in a more direct and positive fashion like real life (although total grip obviously still remains relatively low since it's a road car).

It's not about total grip or speed in my opinion; it's about how a car/physics engine behaves when pushing and transitioning into and out of that grip regardless of how high or low that grip may be. And that's the area where all physics engines out there (regardless of car/mod) behave completely different from one-another (ISI, IR, LFS, KartSim [judging from videos], NKP, AC, Piboso).

Heck, I even had a heck of a fun time with the slow cars in Project Gotham Racing 2 and 4 (by far my favorite casual racing games) because their behavior made them fun when pushing.

So, in my opinion, any car can be fun when you're attacking the track and pushing and slipping including a heavy, low-powered, low-grip car. It comes down to how the physics engine handles that particular car.

I guess it also comes down to people's brains as well. Some people need super fast cars or they just get bored no matter how fun the slow cars are to drive. So I guess some psychology/biology comes into the equation as well.

Last edited:
Everything is good, but do not understand the transition to steam.
Does this mean that now connect to the server or create a server must be logged in to steam

To create a server, you can download the dedicated server package, which is available from Steam as a free download. That means that you don't have to even have a Steam account to download it. All you need is a free tool (SteamCMD.exe) to start the download. If you run that server, you don't need a Steam account either. All it will do is publish it's presence to the Steam matchmaker so others can find it.

To connect to a server you need a Steam account that has bought rFactor 2 so you can start it. It uses the same Steam matchmaker to find the actual server. In theory you can even join a server without access to the matchmaker, but then you need to provide a command line option with the IP address and port of the server.

That said, you can also run rFactor 2 with Steam in "off-line mode". Obviously you do not have access to the matchmaker anymore, but you can use this setup to join a dedicated server on a LAN.

Does that answer your question?

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 297 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 205 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 200 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 147 7.6%
  • < 5 years