Excerpt from the Martin O'Brundle interview with Helmu Marko

David O'Reilly

A bad quali means I can go forwards in the race.
It seems that the publicity machine at the Blown Diffuser is in top gear and has dusted off the 2011 interview by O'Brundle with Helmut Marko.
It won in 2011 the prestigious Cheese Board Trophy for investigative journalism.

Redbull. What driver development scheme? With the departure of WDC hopeful Jonathan Motterham it was assumed within the paddock that one of the graduates of the RedBull Driver development program (RDDP) would be a shoe-in for the role. The team has instead looked over the Atlantic for their replacement @David Cook . Was it about Bernies US ambitions? Is RDDP chief Dr Evil losing his touch?
We despatched our investigative reporter Martin O’Brundle (who was skiing in nearby Garmisch anyway) to Dr Evils private offices high up on the top of the Zugspitz for an exclusive interview. Here is his report:

Well I made my way past the entry foyer with its display cabinets full of Dr Evils trophys, inlcuding one from his 1970 LeMans win where he drove for great uncle Ferdinand and one from the Targa Florio in 72 where he set the lap record along with various stuffed and preserved shooting trophys and an impressive display of war memorabilia. Dr Evil had just finished a meal with Nicki Lauda and reminiscing about the old Nurburgring and the original Hockenheim. Dr Evil was relaxed after a days hunting in the mountains and happy to talk. I asked what of the RDDP if no drivers graduate? “We have a fine stock of fast young drivers just ready to answer the call, we have placed two with AI teams for final maturation” he said. I asked what of Buemi and Alguesari just getting the rug pulled out from under them at the very last moment? “We can only do so much for them, they made it onto the grid in the Toro Rosso and from there it’s up to them”. Will it always be as as easy to judge success as it was with Vettel eg his Monza win in the Toro Rosso in the wet? “Sebastien is a great example of what we are capable of at RDDP, a fine young boy, fast, well mannered”. Was there anything personal with Alguesari? “ No just business”. How do you expect Toro Rosso and its drivers to function independently with you barging in after free practice and rebuking driver for simply driving their car on the limit on the racing line? “Well that is confidential team business”. If that’s the case do you feel that you should be dressing an F1 driver down in front of his team boss and international media for just doing his job then? At this point Dr Evil’s (I must say very nicely uniformed in a kind of Michael Jackson way) assistants intervene and end the interview.
The engineering department are reportedly working hard to deliver a steering wheel and rack that suits David Cook prior to Turkey. He was totally underwhelmed by the existing setup and very specific about what type of wheel and force feedback he wanted.

Great journalism there from O'Brundle. Boy, those were days. I was racing with a gamepad and I believed it possible that with practice and the right wheel I would find my way to the front. Three years later and I have the wheel I want and the setups I like but have discovered I am merely human and no alien. Sadface. I would crush 2011 DC though!

@David Cook
You are getting faster though and its very early in your RF2 experience. What not 3 months yet?
So pretty good progress really and to get in the 1:40s at Silverstone is a good result.
You are racing proper quick guys.
Its going better than you might think. Keep up the good work and show Dr Evil (Helmut Marko) that the RDDP isnt the only game in town.
Except of course for Ricciardo, he is an Aussi and is Ace.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.2%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 108 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 150 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 284 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 412 39.9%