Excellent Sim Racing Paddock video on how we got here with rFactor 2 and what's to come

Shovas

Premium
Really appreciated this Sim Racing Paddock video on rFactor 2 from a pragmatic fan's point of view. He seems to love the sim while seeing its faults. He also seems to view the current state of the game positively and looks forward to 2021.

One thing this video does quickly but well is to cover the portion of time when ISI handed off to Studio 397 and all that had to happen to bring the game up to the minimum standards that we now find it.

Recommended viewing for those people who are fed up with Studio 397 and the way they've been updating the game. I hope it provides a fresh perspective and a little empathy for the devs that brought the game back from the brink.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 379375

Really appreciated this Sim Racing Paddock video on rFactor 2 from a pragmatic fan's point of view. He seems to love the sim while seeing its faults. He also seems to view the current state of the game positively and looks forward to 2021.

One thing this video does quickly but well is to cover the portion of time when ISI handed off to Studio 397 and all that had to happen to bring the game up to the minimum standards that we now find it.

Recommended viewing for those people who are fed up with Studio 397 and the way they've been updating the game. I hope it provides a fresh perspective and a little empathy for the devs that brought the game back from the brink.

He's a bit too exited but it's generally fair. I bought it late (around 18 months ago I guess) knowing it had issues but wanting to support the developers. I have very little playing time as I like to race online. All I would like to do is select a server with filters and get online. I managed for the first time the other day but it usually reports some stupid content error message, askes me to restart and then does it again.

I don't think I'm asking for too much so Kunos get all my spare time at the moment, deservedly so too.

Not exactly sure how the host expects the sim to advance and knock down the pay wall simultaneously.
I have the same questions :coffee:. However, unlike some other people, I have been fortunate :) (been racing since GPL) in not experiencing:
1. Breaking/crashing issues ;)
2. Maybe because I do not do VR ? Use TrackIR. ;)
3. I have not found the "new UI" any less cumbersome/intuitive than the "old UI" (Just have to learn your way around - just like CM for AC) :cautious:
4. I am not quite that impatient with the long load times, since I seem to spend more time "in-game racing", than setting up (mostly offline) :thumbsup:
All that being said (IMHO), Yes, load times could be faster. The in car (cockpit) "shaders???" could be better - not so dark/more contrast/details (ala ACC) (New DLC better - Old needs refresh). A test function (ala AC) for video settings. And mostly it would be/would have been nice to have/had a "Users Manual/Guide" for all setup screens/functions.

P.S. I still get a lot enjoyment/satisfaction out of the SIM ... especially because of the varied content (Yes, workshop on Steam :poop: ). Basically even adding just a category filter would be an immense improvement :thumbsup:.

Last edited:
I have the same questions :coffee:. However, unlike some other people, I have been fortunate :) (been racing since GPL) in not experiencing:
1. Breaking/crashing issues ;)
2. Maybe because I do not do VR ? Use TrackIR. ;)
3. I have not found the "new UI" any less cumbersome/intuitive than the "old UI" (Just have to learn your way around - just like CM for AC) :cautious:
4. I am not quite that impatient with the long load times, since I seem to spend more time "in-game racing", than setting up (mostly offline) :thumbsup:
All that being said (IMHO), Yes, load times could be faster. The in car (cockpit) "shaders???" could be better - not so dark/more contrast/details (ala ACC) (New DLC better - Old needs refresh). A test function (ala AC) for video settings. And mostly it would be/would have been nice to have/had a "Users Manual/Guide" for all setup screens/functions.

P.S. I still get a lot enjoyment/satisfaction out of the SIM ... especially because of the varied content (Yes, workshop on Steam :poop: ). Basically even adding just a category filter would be an immense improvement :thumbsup:.

I pretty much agree. I have no issues with the UI other than the fact its new to me...

One thing I would like to see is that when an update is out it would allow you to play offline while it downloads in the background.

There are improvements to be made, but to hear people say the game is broken is daft. Everything can be improved, its the basis of evolution. I have started on rF2 after nearly a year away from sims due to other commitments, and the difference from then to now is night and day, so if the trend is ongoing. Happy days!

The video's analysis of Steamchart number made a typical data analysis error and associated the rise of rf2 player count to the virtual le mans event. In fact all sim titles had an increase of similar scale in player number in those months, so the increase is more likely due to wider lockdown worldwide. Other than that the video is pretty good at capturing rf2 today.

One thing I would like to see is that when an update is out it would allow you to play offline while it downloads in the background.

So this does not work ?

rf2 updates settings.jpg

Could also be that in-game workshop install dialog. That could take a while on a slower connection, I bet.

Can't wait until S397 learns about async :) None of these should be modal blocker dialogs.

Latest News

Are you buying setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back