Eurogamer Beta Review Posted.

Whilst it's a positive review, which is good to see, I can't understand why he keeps comparing it to Gran Turismo and Forza 5 as if it's a simcade. AC is not simcade.

Whilst Forza and GT6 are as realistic as it gets on a console; they're miles behind AC in terms of physics and audio.
In fact I'd go so far as to say it's mildly disrespectful to Kunos to even put GT6 and Forza in the same sentence as Assetto Corsa when it comes to physics and audio, because they're not even close.

I get that he mentions Rfactor 2 and Iracing a couple of times, but he doesn't really compare the handling model to them.

But a decent review, and I'm very happy to see the wheels are starting to turn for Kunos. Hopefully more people will get interested in simracing. :)

Whilst it's a positive review, which is good to see, I can't understand why he keeps comparing it to Gran Turismo and Forza 5 as if it's a simcade. AC is not simcade.

Whilst Forza and GT6 are as realistic as it gets on a console; they're miles behind AC in terms of physics and audio.
In fact I'd go so far as to say it's mildly disrespectful to Kunos to even put GT6 and Forza in the same sentence as Assetto Corsa when it comes to physics and audio, because they're not even close.

I get that he mentions Rfactor 2 and Iracing a couple of times, but he doesn't really compare the handling model to them.

But a decent review, and I'm very happy to see the wheels are starting to turn for Kunos. Hopefully more people will get interested in simracing. :)

I think it gets compared for a couple reasons. Mainly it looks so much like Forza graphically. And in that vein also GT.
Secondly as mentioned above it has road cars.
Do i think it's a bad thing personally? No, not really. If we can attract some more people to play this instead of Forza/GT or as well as, then that is a good thing in my book. This game will flourish or fail based on it's sales, as all games do, not on it's physics!
GT in particular has astronomical sales figures compared to anything on PC, and if Kunos can get a slice of that pie and it means we get bigger/better content then Hells yeah.

I think it gets compared for a couple reasons. Mainly it looks so much like Forza graphically. And in that vein also GT.
Secondly as mentioned above it has road cars.
Do i think it's a bad thing personally? No, not really. If we can attract some more people to play this instead of Forza/GT or as well as, then that is a good thing in my book. This game will flourish or fail based on it's sales, as all games do, not on it's physics!
GT in particular has astronomical sales figures compared to anything on PC, and if Kunos can get a slice of that pie and it means we get bigger/better content then Hells yeah.

Obviously to be compared to forza or GT6 in terms of sales figures and graphics is a good thing, but to be compared to them physics and audio wise, is not a good thing. Especially if you're trying to replicate real life handling, which Kunos are.

Don't get me wrong, I think what GT6 and Forza (and even Codemasters F1) have done to get the "average joe" into Motorsport, has been great for the following of motor sports (heck I became obsessed with Formula 1 because of F1 2010). But they're far from a full blown sim, and to be compared to a sim is just apples and oranges.

Forza has departed from the race track aspect quite a bit and gone down the 'Need for Speed' path lately (I don't think it will be long until they implement Police Cars LOL), whilst GT6 remains more purely Motorsport racetrack based, which is a very good thing, and I have more respect for GT6 than forza because of that.

Yes, very positive. It is nIce to see a mainstream gaming site understand what to appreciate in a racing simulation.

I have another take on the GT and Forza comparison: it is a very good thing for AC. Remember the audience Eurogamer is writing for is the 'regular' gamer. And this audience is (mostly) familiar with two racing titles they would see as simulations: GT & Forza.

We at Racedepartment can argue whether GT and Forza are simulations or not. I certainly think they are... but they are intentionally created for a larger, broader audience so they end up looking a bit different than relatively small market sims on the pc do.

But in the end it doesn't matter if you and I call GT & Forza a simulation or not. The typical Eurogamer audience, in addition to millions and millions of other 'regular' gamers, understand them to be simulations. So when titles like AC get press and are favorably compared to the two sales heavyweights in the genre... it is a great thing!

Yes, very positive. It is nIce to see a mainstream gaming site understand what to appreciate in a racing simulation.

I have another take on the GT and Forza comparison: it is a very good thing for AC. Remember the audience Eurogamer is writing for is the 'regular' gamer. And this audience is (mostly) familiar with two racing titles they would see as simulations: GT & Forza.

We at Racedepartment can argue whether GT and Forza are simulations or not. I certainly think they are... but they are intentionally created for a larger, broader audience so they end up looking a bit different than relatively small market sims on the pc do.

But in the end it doesn't matter if you and I call GT & Forza a simulation or not. The typical Eurogamer audience, in addition to millions and millions of other 'regular' gamers, understand them to be simulations. So when titles like AC get press and are favorably compared to the two sales heavyweights in the genre... it is a great thing!

^ What he said :)

If it helps, think of Assetto Corsa as being what GT & Forza should be :thumbsup:

Oh absolutely. I agree 100%.
Of course to be compared to the big market games is a good thing for publicity, especially for a company as small as Kunos.

Edit:
I'm just saying that from a physics standpoint sure they're much closer to a simulator than say, Mario Kart, but Forza and Gran Turismo aren't even in the ball park compared to AC.

Last edited:
I think review sites like this would use a GT and Forza comparison simply due to their popularity, odds are more people will have played these games than any of the PC sims, even if they have a PC. These are games and the people who play them won't necessarily see AC being a PC sim as a good thing.

So by saying it's as easy to play as Forza but as deep as any of the PC sims if you put in the time will make AC less scary to people who want a console like experience.

I wouldn't be too offended by that. He's probably catering to his target audience. I'll bet that everyone who uses iRacing and rFactor have already heard of and tried Assetto Corsa. But by comparing this to the console racers, he is introducing Assetto Corsa to millions of people as something that should appeal to them. He then goes on to illustrate that this sim is better than those games by a big margin. If this guy gets just 10,000 of those millions of people to buy Assetto Corsa, he's done us (and them) a huge favor.

Personally, I think Assetto Corsa is the best sim for someone who is coming from FM or GT. Not because it's arcadey like them, no no no. Because it's friendly. When I came from GT5 to iRacing, I was a little overwhelmed by a couple of things, the first being how few cars there were to choose from. I enjoyed the variety of GT5, and a lot of the cars available on iRacing were not cars I would have chosen to drive on GT5, and some of them I'd never even heard of! Of course as I became more serious in sim racing competition, I grew to enjoy the hard-core racing nature of the cars offered, but before that, I loved racing street cars. Kunos have wisely offered both racing versions and production versions for this very reason, I suspect. The UI is more streamlined as well, and there are probably several other things that make AC more inviting than other sims to someone hoping to transcend simcades. So even though we know AC has some next-gen physics advancements, it is still the best option for people who are ready for more than what GT and FM are offering.

Edit: I should have read the rest of the responses before responding as it was all said before...:whistling:

Last edited:
Nice review. Its a shame there was no mention of the laser scanned tracks, something of a big selling point for me.

People shouldn't be scared of attracting a more "casual" gamer. I was probably considered a "casual" gamer until I tried GTL back in 2004 or whenever it was released. It really opened my eyes to a new kind of game / sim. As long as people like a challenge and won't quit after spinning out twice then im sure AC will gain in popularity amongst a wide audience.

Obviously to be compared to forza or GT6 in terms of sales figures and graphics is a good thing, but to be compared to them physics and audio wise, is not a good thing. Especially if you're trying to replicate real life handling, which Kunos are.

Don't get me wrong, I think what GT6 and Forza (and even Codemasters F1) have done to get the "average joe" into Motorsport, has been great for the following of motor sports (heck I became obsessed with Formula 1 because of F1 2010). But they're far from a full blown sim, and to be compared to a sim is just apples and oranges.

Forza has departed from the race track aspect quite a bit and gone down the 'Need for Speed' path lately (I don't think it will be long until they implement Police Cars LOL), whilst GT6 remains more purely Motorsport racetrack based, which is a very good thing, and I have more respect for GT6 than forza because of that.

Better that he compare AC to FM and GT than tell all of the FM and GT fans that this will be too hard for them because its a sim, and they should just stick to FM and GT. I exaggerate, of course, but my point is it's better to relate it to them so they'll try it.

Slightly off topic... I was interested to see ISRs new review of the Thrustmaster wheel that works with Forza 5. I have been playing Forza 5 with a controller and have been having fun. But ISR rated the wheel and F5 combination surprisingly high. In fact, they put it above Simbin's new DTM title in handling feel and said it was the best console title for handling and FFB ever. They also mentioned it wasn't quite as good as the very best pc sims (AC was in that list) but that it was getting closer.

While I have had fun with it using a gamepad, not having a wheel to try on XboxOne really prevents you from seeing the detail of the physics. Apparently it is quite good if you have the advanced wheel. To bring this back to AC, I have compared the F40 in AC with F5. It really shows how the console titles with so many cars have a hard time getting small details right. Graphically, the Forza 5 F40 looks terrific. But wheelspin coming from the the horsepower spike when the turbo boost comes on is largely absent--- and AC just completely nails that moment (which is a huge hallmark of the real world F40 experience). :)

I do agree that they can lean a bit toward sponsors at times. But they gave the package an 8 out of 10 because the pedals dragged it down from a higher score. Nowhere did he say the pedals were great and he even admitted the nicer T500 pedals only get a 'B" score. ISR love the clubsport pedals and have said so many times.

Anyway, I was focusing more on the fact that console titles like forza, when equipped with the right stuff, are actually getting closer to pc quality.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 77 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 118 10.8%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 159 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 303 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 434 39.6%