Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Both European Truck Simulator 2 and American Truck Sim are getting new map expansions this year - and here's the pictures to prove it!

Yes, never content to give those graphic artists a well earned break, SCS Software confirmed prior to the Christmas break that both ETS2 and American Truck Sim will be having the expansion pack treatment early on in 2020 - with new locations in Idaho (ATS) and Iberia (ETS2) set to join the sims in the near future.

At the time of the initial announcement not much in the way of information was forthcoming from the developers, however as the fresh calendar year swings into force, we've now got our first really good look at what is next on the list for everyone's favourite truck driving games...

European Truck Sim 2 - Iberia.

ETS2 Iberia 2.jpg

The Iberian Peninsula – or simply, Iberia – is a peninsula located in the southwest corner of Europe. The peninsula is the second largest peninsula on the continent in terms of size, taking up over 596,740 km² (230,000 mi²). It is also the second most populous peninsula in Europe with a population of over 57 million people.

This region has over 2,000 miles of coastline and is home to multiple major rivers including the Ebro and the Tagus. Most of the Iberian Peninsula is mountainous with major mountain systems including the Pyrenees, the Sistema Central, and the Baetic System, just to name a few.

ETS2 Iberia 3.jpg
ETS2 Iberia 4.jpg

Original link - ETS2 Steam Page

American Truck Sim - Idaho.

ATS Idaho 2.jpg

About the Content
Idaho is a northwestern U.S. state known for mountainous landscapes, and vast swaths of protected wilderness and outdoor recreation areas. The capital, Boise, is set in the Rocky Mountain foothills and is bisected by the Boise River, which is popular for rafting and fishing.

The state covers two time zones, runs from Canada to Nevada, and encompasses the western side of the continental divide of the Rocky Mountains. Rivers, mountains and farmland dominate the state’s landscape. The panhandle has emerald green hillsides, timbered mountains and pristine lakes. Central Idaho is covered with jagged peaks. The Snake River Plain, with its wide open vistas, irrigated farm lands and vibrant cities forms the character of Southern Idaho.

ATS Idaho 3.jpg
ATS Idaho 4.jpg

Original Link - ATS Steam Page

ETS2 and ATS are both available exclusive for PC.

Want to know the latest and greatest from each sim? Check out the respect ETS2 and ATS sub forums here at RaceDepartment!

ATS Idaho 1.jpg
ETS2 Iberia 1.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks RD at the time when i came for news there was nothing but as it is said its better late than never...as in love :inlove:

Hispania is coming finally! As it was on the top bottom of the South may be SCS have not noticed that map extension on Europe lol

To me? Portugal and Spain are the 2 more exciting countries to visit with your truck to enjoy the Tapas, beaches (not bitches Truckers!) and great medieval landscapes and more and more!

PD: Please when you create Seville add the Guadalquivir River , very important one from ancient times, haha , In the Mario Map Mod there was no river on Seville and affected me emotionally , still more than usual, so soooo much. Ok , enought. Cheers!

Last edited:
Yay! A few more tiny highways to drive on....yet....still no seasons and climate differences between regions, stupid unrealistic economy, stupid traffic, empty lifeless cities , no company contracts , no mechanical failures....meh i could go on and on. I hope someone comes up with a real trucking SIMULATOR. ETS2 and ATS are just truck DRIVING GAMES, nothing more.

A significant bit of information is missing from the arcticle though:

Although these two map expansions have been announced sooner than previous DLC's, this does not indicate they will be released at an earlier time. This is because our main focus for the first half of the year will be spent working with the technical side of our truck sims. In our next planned 1.37 update, we will be changing the way you hear, as we introduce a new sound engine, FMOD. This will allow for the inclusion of more realistic environment sounds (such as nature, city traffic and trains), as-well as an improvement to how your truck sounds on different roads.

Thereafter, update 1.38 will bring new graphical updates to our trucking titles. A re-work of lighting, assets and more are being worked on to make sure the beauty of our game can really shine this year. All of these new changes are thanks to the introduction of DirectX 11. You can find a more detailed wrap-up of all the communities hottest questions for what the future holds!

Since this last 1.36 update i cant make the physics feel anything close to realistic anymore and as even the driving is arcade now.. i am defenitely not willing to help the money gain by some extra roads and sell them as dlc. Some Russian physics mod and in combination with some fiddling in the developer screen could make the truck drive realistic.. as this is now gone.. i have not touched ets2 ever since.

[QUOTE = "The Flying Hun, hozzászólás: 3100433, tag: 273524"]
De akkor ők semmi kevésbé vannak. Nem szereted őket, oké, megvan. De az íz az íz, és sok ember ezeket a címeket rendkívül pihentető és szórakoztatónak találja.
[/IDÉZET]
nem értelmezted, amit mond

How would you rate the AI behavior? Good as it is or is a mod needed?
I found it to be similar to the way it's always been... pretty bad. Robotic, unaware, and apparently not governed by the same physics as you are. I didn't find any mods which improve AI behaviour, only ones which increase/decrease the amount of traffic.

It's great that these sims are doing well and being constantly updated, but the traffic AI is the one and only thing which is preventing me from playing either of these. (I own both.) It's simply frustrating and immersion-breaking. Please devs, improve the area which has always let these games down (AI) and worry about better sounds and graphics later.

I found it to be similar to the way it's always been... pretty bad. Robotic, unaware, and apparently not governed by the same physics as you are. I didn't find any mods which improve AI behaviour, only ones which increase/decrease the amount of traffic.

It's great that these sims are doing well and being constantly updated, but the traffic AI is the one and only thing which is preventing me from playing either of these. (I own both.) It's simply frustrating and immersion-breaking. Please devs, improve the area which has always let these games down (AI) and worry about better sounds and graphics later.
Amen to that. Exact same reason why I stopped playing too. Why oh why don't they do anything about the ai? The developers are truckers themselfs right? I guess they don't play the game. That, in my mind, is the only logical reason to why the AI is neglected

What's wrong with the traffic AI? I guess it depends on the player's approach to the games as well, but I've been playing both for years and I haven't had any particular issues with the traffic. They obey the rules and are easily predictable, I only had a few incidents in my first few hours of playing when I was still learning the game. (But I'm speaking of vanilla content, using ProMods is another story... they leave so many little bugs in their map, gameplay becomes a truly frustrating experience.)

What's wrong with the traffic AI? I guess it depends on the player's approach to the games as well, but I've been playing both for years and I haven't had any particular issues with the traffic. They obey the rules and are easily predictable, I only had a few incidents in my first few hours of playing when I was still learning the game. (But I'm speaking of vanilla content, using ProMods is another story... they leave so many little bugs in their map, gameplay becomes a truly frustrating experience.)

I agree with you. I had a fair number of incidents when I first started playing the game. Now, it's very rare for me to have a wreck with the AI. Once you figure it out and once you learn to be patient, it's pretty easy to deal with them. Based on what I see in real life, particularly, for example, a trip to Seattle, which is a 1000 mile round trip for me, the AI isn't a whole lot more inattentive and dumber than real-life drivers are.:)

But then, they are also NOTHING LESS. You do not like them, okay, we got it. But taste is taste, and many people find these titles extremely relaxing and entertaining.
Trying to be "smart" doesn't work when you don't really say anything. What does this "nothing less" even mean? If it was anything less than just a truck driving game it wouldn't even be a truck driving game, it would be pacman or tetris,duh. Anyway, am i not allowed to voice my opinion? I don't care if you find it "relaxing" and "entertaining",i didn't ask you. Voice your opinion and don't make it personal. Ok buddy?

Trying to be "smart" doesn't work when you don't really say anything. What does this "nothing less" even mean? If it was anything less than just a truck driving game it wouldn't even be a truck driving game, it would be pacman or tetris,duh. Anyway, am i not allowed to voice my opinion? I don't care if you find it "relaxing" and "entertaining",i didn't ask you. Voice your opinion and don't make it personal. Ok buddy?

You said you can''t voice a opinion ? who stopped you ?

But then, they are also NOTHING LESS. You do not like them, okay, we got it. But taste is taste, and many people find these titles extremely relaxing and entertaining.

How is that comment personal anyway you look at it ?

BS is all it is ...duh , I don't care Ok buddy ......GROW UP

What's wrong with the traffic AI?
Pretty sure I stated what I think is wrong with it in my post:

Robotic, unaware, and apparently not governed by the same physics as you are.

I appreciate what you're saying but it doesn't make the sim any better. I don't want to have to "learn" how to deal with a game's poor AI, I want to experience realistic driving in a realistic environment... that's what SIMULATIONS are all about, isn't it? Realism.

Take GTA 5 for example. Yes I know, it is in no way a sim. However, the traffic is pretty well done. The cars have physics, they move fairly naturally and are not stuck "on rails", they have acceleration and braking distances, they react properly to obstructions, they even beep, flash and shout when others are driving poorly. It gives the traffic "life", something which both truck sims completely lack.

It also removes some of the complete predictability which you correctly state yourself that ETS/ATS have, which adds to the atmosphere because real roads and real drivers are anything but predictable!

If people are fine with unrealistic, robotic AI then that's fine. I'm not going to throw my toys out of the pram if the devs can't be bothered to change it, but I do wish they would. It would certainly enhance the sim for me, and get me playing again.

I'm not sure if the Ai is as robotic as you think Ross, there's a fair amount of unpredictable behaviour I've noticed, some Ai drive slower in the rain or at night, some speed, some stop nicely at junctions for you, some dither and some just pull out in front of you like an a$$!!! That's not saying I think it's perfect, far from it, but it's not "too" bad.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 111 12.9%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 84 9.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 80 9.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 56 6.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 115 13.4%