ETS 2: More 'Road to the Black Sea' Previews - Landscapes

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
ETS2 Road to the Black Sea Landscapes Preview 1.jpg

SCS Software recently released some visually stunning images from their in development 'Road to the Black Sea' map expansion for European Truck Simulator 2.

This time placing the focus of their screenshot reveal on 'landscapes' within the game, these new screenshots are arguably some of the most visually impressive images to come out of the game to date - proving that despite having released back in 2012, ETS 2 can still very much hold its own in the graphical department.

ETS2 Road to the Black Sea Landscapes Preview 6.jpg

Although we don't yet have an indication beyond the beautifully vague "2019" as a release date for this new expansion, it certainly looks like SCS Software are well on their way towards producing one of the most detailed content drops for the simulation to date. Don't know about you folks, but I'm pretty excited for this one..

ETS2 Road to the Black Sea Landscapes Preview 2.jpg
ETS2 Road to the Black Sea Landscapes Preview 3.jpg
ETS2 Road to the Black Sea Landscapes Preview 5.jpg
ETS2 Road to the Black Sea Landscapes Preview 4.jpg
ETS2 Road to the Black Sea Landscapes Preview 7.jpg

ETS 2 is available on PC now.

To keep on top of the latest news regarding this exceptional simulation, head over to the European Truck Sim 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment and join in with the community discussion.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

I'm excited too @Paul Jeffrey it's an immense game, not played in a couple weeks due to "life" but hope to get back behind the wheel and to continue to grow my company soon.

Nothing like chugging down through France en route to Italy with a trailer load of Frozen Octopi and Belinda Carlisle belting out tunes on some pirate radio station!

I'm excited too @Paul Jeffrey it's an immense game, not played in a couple weeks due to "life" but hope to get back behind the wheel and to continue to grow my company soon.

You should get on it right now, there's currently a WoT Event going on, which might give you the upcoming Goodyear DLC for free if the community goal is met.

Also back on topic, really looking forward for the next installment, going to get the Black Sea DLC the moment it gets available! :)

despite having released back in 2012, ETS 2 can still very much hold its own in the graphical department.
Absolutely agree, the graphics / scenery are just superb and another thing I was totally impressed by was the extra animated road side work vehicles / diggers etc...I was driving ETS2 and coming up to a Railway Crossing, lights started flashing, barrier arms came down, stopped, waited for 5 or so seconds then a Train passed by...now that's what I call a Simulation...awesome:D

I love the concept of this series. Just wish the trucks had even 50% more simulation in the actual driving of them. It's too much eye candy and a management sim versus a driving/trucking sim for me right now.

Try to increase the difficulty of all the typical truck settings in gameplay and you'll have a much "harder" time. Do keep in mind that these trucks in real life have very sophisticated automated systems. Nothing to compare with older trucks that had doubleclutching gearboxes.

Try to increase the difficulty of all the typical truck settings in gameplay and you'll have a much "harder" time. Do keep in mind that these trucks in real life have very sophisticated automated systems. Nothing to compare with older trucks that had doubleclutching gearboxes.

I am referring to handling and physics, not how difficult or automated things are. But what settings are you referring to? Is there a range of realism options?

I am referring to handling and physics, not how difficult or automated things are. But what settings are you referring to? Is there a range of realism options?

Braking, instability options among other things.

I like the feeling that with 45 tons on the road the first bit of the brakes doesn't mean a thing and it gradually starts to brake better and better. Just play with some gameplay things and skip anything that happens automatically.

Parking a double trailer by hand with a manual gearbox into a tight spot is more fulfilling than cruising down the highway imo.

Braking, instability options among other things.

I like the feeling that with 45 tons on the road the first bit of the brakes doesn't mean a thing and it gradually starts to brake better and better. Just play with some gameplay things and skip anything that happens automatically.

Parking a double trailer by hand with a manual gearbox into a tight spot is more fulfilling than cruising down the highway imo.

Thanks--I will revisit checking-out all those types of options.

OK a few more problems:

1) The game recognizes my controllers, but will not allow me to select buttons on them for many functions.

2) The game recognizes my Fanatec pedals, but will not allow for a proper configuration of the accelerator or brake (but the clutch works perfectly). None of the inverted, etc., settings work, though it immediately recognizes which pedal I am pushing.

3) There are a bunch of sliders in the options for difficulty-related settings, but no marker as to what the left or right extremes mean? Can you say?

4) I had already deselected all the automatic stuff.

5) It allows for a transmission selection--is there no setting for the game to pick the one that is appropriate for the vehicle you are driving? You pick one and it applies it to any/all trucks?

So with ETS 2, I cannot even start the truck or turn on the wipers. Accelerator is stuck on all the way (despite changing the settings to prevent that). Can't even drive out of the lot to see if anything is better or has improved. I assume ATS will be the same, but will go try it now.

I have experienced lots of games that have issues with multiple controllers. But I have never experienced a problem with one that easily sees and detects all controllers and inputs, but refuses to use them. I reset all to default just to be sure that would not help--it did not. In fact, it works worse--prior there were some settings still in there from when I last used ETS 2 many months ago that worked. Now, almost nothing can be configured :(

Edit: ATS is the same--but again, there were button assignments in there from previously that will no longer work (i.e., I cannot now assign that button to a function), even though my hardware has not changed. ???

Last edited:
1-2) Weird, I use a T300RS-599XX-T3PA+T8shifter and I can customize whatever I want.
3) That's indeed an issue, from experience, left is more forgiving and right is twitchier.
5) All truck brands use in effect a fully automatic 12-14 speed gearbox with a low and high range. I use a button on my steering wheel in combination with the clutch to switch between 1-3-5-7-9-11 and 2-4-6-8-10-12 depending on load and conditions. On snow or on dirt it's handy to have a mapping for a fixed axle otherwhise you'll get stuck. By default that's on V I believe.

If the pedal is pushed to 100% without touching it, that sounds like either an inversion or a calibration issue (Fanatec most likely, just like Thrustmaster has a calibration tool outside the game).

If really nothing else works, you can always turn back to an earlier version of the game (while keeping your saved progress) through Steam>Betas and see if that resolves anything.

1-2) Weird, I use a T300RS-599XX-T3PA+T8shifter and I can customize whatever I want.
3) That's indeed an issue, from experience, left is more forgiving and right is twitchier.
5) All truck brands use in effect a fully automatic 12-14 speed gearbox with a low and high range. I use a button on my steering wheel in combination with the clutch to switch between 1-3-5-7-9-11 and 2-4-6-8-10-12 depending on load and conditions. On snow or on dirt it's handy to have a mapping for a fixed axle otherwhise you'll get stuck. By default that's on V I believe.

If the pedal is pushed to 100% without touching it, that sounds like either an inversion or a calibration issue (Fanatec most likely, just like Thrustmaster has a calibration tool outside the game).

If really nothing else works, you can always turn back to an earlier version of the game (while keeping your saved progress) through Steam>Betas and see if that resolves anything.

There was an update to both titles that came through this morning, so I thought I would give it another try. Did not reboot. Suddenly, all the configuration was working in ETS 2, so I joyfully remapped everything to my liking. All controllers buttons and axes worked perfectly in the config screens.

Went to drive my truck and again, could not get it to function. The brake and throttle were fully depressed; clutch still working properly. This is now reflected in the controller config screen, even though a minute prior everything was perfect. The orange lines make it obvious what is happening.

Reboot and go back into controller screen. Throttle and brake orange lines at full. Pressing the actual pedals does nothing. Changing to inverted or any other option does nothing. Clutch, which is part of the same controller/pedal set, works as expected.

Now I am really confused (and disappointed).

Last edited:
And this happens just in ETS2 and ATS? Do you play any other games with your pedals where you encountered this issue?

Happens in both. All other titles (about a dozen) work perfectly and I have never encountered this issue. It is not just pedals, though. The buttons on my wheel and on my button box were also configurable (months ago when I installed ETS 2 and ATS), then not configurable at the same time as the pedal misbehaviour. If it was all pedals, I would expect a controller config issue. But one of three pedals works as it should.

It's bizarre considering that all controllers are easily recognized by the games (with their proper names).

If I am the only one with controller issues, I'll just give up. I am only posting in the hope that this is a known issue with some known solution. If everyone else with a Fanatec wheel with buttons, a Fanatec pedal set and a button box can get by, I'll just accept that it is some computer demon that does not want me to enjoy these titles. I have used them both in the past, though, so it is not a universal issue.

Happens in both. All other titles (about a dozen) work perfectly and I have never encountered this issue. It is not just pedals, though. The buttons on my wheel and on my button box were also configurable (months ago when I installed ETS 2 and ATS), then not configurable at the same time as the pedal misbehaviour. If it was all pedals, I would expect a controller config issue. But one of three pedals works as it should.

It's bizarre considering that all controllers are easily recognized by the games (with their proper names).

If I am the only one with controller issues, I'll just give up. I am only posting in the hope that this is a known issue with some known solution. If everyone else with a Fanatec wheel with buttons, a Fanatec pedal set and a button box can get by, I'll just accept that it is some computer demon that does not want me to enjoy these titles. I have used them both in the past, though, so it is not a universal issue.

I'm sorry, I'm at a loss to fix your issue. Just sad really, cause both games are incredible in "full sim" mode.

I'm not sure what is going on, I've used and am currently still using several different Fanatec wheel and pedal combinations without any issues. I do even use a Thrustmaster TH8 Shifter to mix it up a bit.

Maybe try going to documents\Euro Truck Simulator 2\profiles\some number\, in this folder you should find a file named "controls.sii". Try renaming the file to somehting like "controls.old" and start the game up again. It should create a new file with all default settings, maybe that fixes up your problems.

I'm not sure what is going on, I've used and am currently still using several different Fanatec wheel and pedal combinations without any issues. I do even use a Thrustmaster TH8 Shifter to mix it up a bit.

Maybe try going to documents\Euro Truck Simulator 2\profiles\some number\, in this folder you should find a file named "controls.sii". Try renaming the file to somehting like "controls.old" and start the game up again. It should create a new file with all default settings, maybe that fixes up your problems.

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that and it allowed me to configure everything properly, but then as soon as I go into "Drive" into my truck, the axis and configure problems return immediately. Then, when I go back to the configure screen, the pedals are screwed-up (even though they were fine before loading a scenario).

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 137 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 190 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 376 28.3%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 517 38.9%