Esteban Gutierrez

Esteban Gutierrez not worried about future despite Sergey Sirotkin joining Sauber

17-year-old is the son of one of the Swiss team's new investors

By William Esler. Last Updated: July 25, 2013 3:27pm

Esteban Gutierrez claims he has no concerns about his own future after it was revealed Sergey Sirotkin will drive for Sauber in 2014, subject to the Russian youngster obtaining the necessary super-licence.
The 17-year-old is the son of one of the Swiss team's new investors and is currently competing in World Series by Renault. His career highlight to date was third place in last season's Auto GP standings.
Gutierrez, who is in his rookie season, is already seen as a pay-driver and partnering him with another could be seen as a huge risk for the team. However, the Mexican is unfazed by the inevitable speculation about his future.
"Well it doesn't make a difference to my current season and my focus is on this year and I know very well what I have with the team and what has been my path with in the past few years and where we are looking to in the future," he said in the Drivers' Press Conference ahead of the Hungarian GP.
When asked if he felt Sirotkin was ready for F1, he added: "It is very difficult to judge. It comes down to experience and results and I think all of that should be taken into account."
Gutierrez wasn't the only driver unsure of the Russian's credentials with Lewis Hamilton commenting: "I wasn't ready at 18 and I was pretty good at 18."

http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1...future-despite-sergey-sirotkin-joining-sauber

Says something about F1 when a guy who looks about 14 is set to lose his seat to a guy that is near enough 14!

Granted they don't come much worse than Gutierez, but 17?? Really??!
What's this kid even won? Besides the family lottery!

He's won the Formula Abarth Euro series, finished 2nd in the Italian series, 3rd in the Auto GP World Series and right now sitting in 9th in the Formula Renault 3.5 series. In contrast we can compare him to Raikkonen before being picked up by Sauber in 2001, Kimi had like what less than 30 race starts in open wheelers before he had the Sauber test?

So in contrast he looks a better prospect, if we only look at the stats, which says nothing of ones talent.

Who's to say he's even going to be able to get his super license for next season, there's been doubts over that since the announcement of this Russian deal

Indeed, Raikkonen went about winning over half of any race he took part of before getting the Sauber test.

The shame here is the limit on testing, it proves even more difficult now for teams to find good prospects when they can't get them any running time in the car.

Brings in sponsors, fits the role of a third driver better than De La Rosa will in 2015, and it's not as if you're leaning on him to win a constructors' championship unless they suddenly open up to a 3-car team or unlimited testing returns. Yes, it's not Bianchi, but you're not getting the worst driver money could buy either.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.2%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 107 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 150 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 283 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 411 39.9%