Esports Minute | A Round-Up Of Sim Racing Esports Action

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Friday is here and that means it's time to have a quick look at the great and good of esport activity once again...

This weekend promises to be one of the biggest ever for the world of sim racing, as many of the great and the good from the world of real and virtual head into rFactor 2 for a crack at the official Virtual Le Mans 24 Hours - a simulated replacement event for what is arguably the pinnacle motorsport race anywhere in the world.

With over 200 drivers, worldwide television audience, some of the biggest names from the world of Formula One, IndyCar, Sportscars and more, all competing on arguably the finest recreation of Le Mans in sim racing, over a full 24 hour period with many real world teams and manufacturers in support... this is going to be one heck of an impressive race weekend of virtual action.

Last Week

Last week was a good one for several different racing series across the world, with the excellent Supercars All Star E Series coming to a conclusion after what was an impressive 10 round calendar in place of the official V8 Supercars racing series taking place out on track. Shane van Gisbergen would be the series first virtual champion, the Kiwi having a strong race at Oran Park to take the win, and the title from his rival Scott McLaughlin.

In open wheel territory, The Race held their first 'Triple Crown' event at the Monaco Grand Prix Circuit, and in the legends category it would again be Fernando Alonso who came out on top in round one, the unstoppable Spaniard taking race victory ahead of fellow Monaco Grand Prix winner Juan Pablo Montoya, with Andy Prialux beating the double World Champion to round two victory.

Formula E also held their final race of the new season at the German Templehof circuit, with Stoffel Vandoorne taking home the title by just 24 points from Pascal Wehrlein.

The SRO AM Series would also be in action last weekend as we took to the Barcelona circuit for what was a thrilling race in our penultimate round of the season. Florian Hasse would end up the eventual race winner following a spirited drive, and now no less than 8 drivers will head into the season finale at Bathurst with a shout at taking home the overall championship honours.

Summary of Events:
I'm sure plenty more is happening in the week ahead too - feel free to let us know about any good entertainment in the comments section, and I'll be sure to add them to the list for future roundup articles.

Stay safe, stay inside, stay sim racing!

Esports minute pic.png

The W Series Esports League continues on Thursday 18th June at 19:00 BST. The second venue will be on the Circuit of the Americas, Austin (Texas, United States) , and there will be a race every Thursday at the same time until the final race on 13th August. The races will be streamed live on Twitch, YouTube and Facebook. It will be presented by Lee McKenzie, commentary by Luke Crane and David Coulthard. www.wseries.com/esports
www.twitch.tv/wseriesesports

The W Series Esports League continues on Thursday 18th June at 19:00 BST. The second venue will be on the Circuit of the Americas, Austin (Texas, United States) , and there will be a race every Thursday at the same time until the final race on 13th August. The races will be streamed live on Twitch, YouTube and Facebook. It will be presented by Lee McKenzie, commentary by Luke Crane and David Coulthard. www.wseries.com/esports
www.twitch.tv/wseriesesports

Thanks for the heads up - updated the OP to include it. Cheers !

Don't fortget The Trans Am Series are running a simracing season of their own this year with a lot of real racing drivers. They used mostly AC's C7R fixed setup cars, but also rF2. Next race is at Bridgehampton:

So it's happened: Just had my Dad (82) on the phone "Say, son, you are playing these video games like in a racing car, aren't you?" "Yep" "Well, they fooled me, switching channels yesterday night I came upon the LeMans race and was wondering why it was staged, Covid and all. And then chap says it was just a game! Looked brilliant. Went back this morning and watched some more ..."
Still trying to imagine my Dad sitting in the living room and watching rF2 on Eurosport. Cannot quite get my head around it.
Asked me to send him a screenshot of what the players actually see on the screen "... just out of curiosity." So we talked for a while about driver swaps and digital tire wear and whatnot. Still grinning.
At the end he said: "Truly, why do they keep doing it in real life? Just think of the cost and the CO2 footprint!" Ever the rational former CEO ...

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back