Esports Minute | A Round-Up Of Sim Racing Esports Action

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Another week of esports action has taken place, with plenty of interesting and exciting flash points from the stars of the real and virtual racetracks.

A virtual debut for 4-time F1 World Champion Sebastian Vettel, that late punt from an IndyCar regular on Formula One's newest star at the end of the virtual Indy 500, close racing across the board and a GT debut for MotoGP's best rider in recent memory... yeah, plenty has been happening...

Last Week

Last week in esport sim racing it is probably fair to say the biggest talking point was one of the more negative incidents. McLaren F1 driver and all round sim racing superstar Lando Norris made his oval racing debut, taking part in the iRacing IndyCar event at the legendary Indianapolis Speedway. As can be expected from Norris, the young British driver was bang on the pace, and heading into the final moments of the race held a nice advantage over the chasing pack.

Rewind to earlier in the event, Norris pulled off an ambitious three wide move with against the IndyCar regulars, resulting in 2016 title winner Simon Pagenaud making contact with the wall and effectively putting him out of contention.

With Pagenaud streaming the race from his perspective, the 35-year-old Frenchman could be heard joking with his crew chief about getting back out on track and taking out the Formula One driver... which is exactly what he did when attempting to slow Norris on the final lap, in a bid to allow an IndyCar regular to take the race victory.

Was it an accident, or was it intentional? Pagenaud claims it was a mistake as he planned to just hold up the Arrow McLaren SP driver.. you will have to decide on that one for yourself...

In the world of virtual Australian Supercars, sim racing very much replicated real life with yet another Shane van Gisbergen win as the Supercars E Series took to the mighty Spa-Francorchamps circuit. Unfortunately for the rapid Kiwi, van Gisbergen would be handed a post race penalty by the event stewards thanks to his contact with Anton De Pasquale, handing a virtual trophy to Supercars rival and reigning Champion Scott McLaughlin in the DJR Team Penske Ford Mustang.

Next Week

The week ahead is once again packed full of entertainment for those missing the real deal, with Formula E set to kick things off on Saturday afternoon with their excellent Race at Home Challenge in rFactor 2. Featuring pretty much the entirety of the 2020 Formula E grid, the races have been surprisingly clean so far, and that should continue once again this weekend as the drivers continue to increase their experience on the virtual side of motorsport.

Closer to home, RaceDepartment will be broadcasting the first race of the new SRO E-Sport GT Series AM Championship on Saturday 16th May - a five round fight that has been designed specifically for our sim racing community to take part and win great prizes. Streamed live on the RaceDepartment Twitch channel, the series will offer a range of cool and exciting prizes to both viewers and drivers - as well as what should be fantastic racing events. Be sure to tune in to be in with a shout of taking home some cool stuff over the duration of the championship!

Moving on to open wheel action, as Formula One continues to remain absent from our TV screens, the series will once again be hosting a replacement Grand Prix with a mix of Formula One drivers, celebrities and sim racing personalities. On Sunday the series will be taking to the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya in F1 2019, with Grand Prix stars Antonio Giovinazzi, George Russell, Nicholas Latifi, Lando Norris and Charles Leclerc being joined by gofer Ian Paulter, alongside sports stars like Manchester City and Argentina striker Sergio Aguero, FC Barcelona’s Arthur Melo and Real Madrid goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois joining the usual crowd.

All in all, esports continues to grow, and the week ahead should be a fun one!

Summary of Events:

I'm sure plenty more is happening in the week ahead too - feel free to let us know about any good entertainment in the comments section, and I'll be sure to add them to the list for future roundup articles.

Stay safe, stay inside, stay sim racing!

Esports minute pic.png

Last edited:
Thx paul for making this a weekly thread. Moving my last post from last week's therad, belongs here:

Big one coming up with SRO eSport doing Spa, Jean Eric Vergne will join Pro lineup and Tim Heinemann will join Silver. I know he is really fast in RRE, isn't he also an RD regular?

Big one coming up with SRO eSport doing Spa, Jean Eric Vergne will join Pro lineup and Tim Heinemann will join Silver. I know he is really fast in RRE, isn't he also an RD regular?

Thanks man, already included in the list and link updated.

Just my opinion here, but some of the best commentary and good racing through the field with SRO Americas - - racing at Suzuka this Sunday:

Sweet, thanks dude - list updated and event added.

Cheers

Sure no one will renew his rent in iRacing after this eSports boom finishes.

iRacing staff banned me from their forum after I made a video comparing them to other sims like ACC, AMS2 and rF2.

Even real life racing drivers get reprove voice messages if they complained about iRacing not fixing their physics.

This is why I expect that many will leave them as soon as other sim puts the same money on the table.

@azaralamouri don't take it too personally, these games are now big business and often you're dealing with marketing teams protecting the 'brand' - even if the action taken seems to come from the developer or someone connected to the game. At the moment it's all about capturing attention and views.

You might think you are giving critical feedback but all they see is criticism and decide to defend. I've experienced the same with Kunos/505/AC and Turn 10/Forza with even the mildest comparison of their games with other products. Take a look at EA and FIFA if you want to see some real arrogant player takedown behaviour!

We shouldn't be too surprised that people who make games often act like big babies. ;):)

iRacing staff banned me from their forum after I made a video comparing them to other sims like ACC, AMS2 and rF2.

Even real life racing drivers get reprove voice messages if they complained about iRacing not fixing their physics.

This is why I expect that many will leave them as soon as other sim puts the same money on the table.

Such is the growth of Iracing & probably all the other sim titles I dont expect they will notice you are gone.Have you got a link to your controversial video that got you banned from the forum?

The biggest criticism levelled at iRacing from pros (in fact at all sims) is that its too hard compared to real life as the tyres offer no grip or just simply not enough grip...

Its not really a bad problem to have when you think about it...

Far worse if pro drivers were all saying sim racing is too easy compared to real life...

I am glad finally pros are saying it as that way devs SHOULD stop listening to the vocal ones who shout about "grip = arcade..."

Hearing Button and Montoya talk of RF2 being more stressful than real racing as they just are constantly struggling to keep the car from spinning compared to real life is very refreshing, to get that message HOPEFULLY to people who think the opposite..

Button has really shone in his sim racing, really serious about it and says he is loving it.

Truth is, if these racers never had the money or chances to race for real..they would all be doing sim racing...like us...

@azaralamouri don't take it too personally, these games are now big business and often you're dealing with marketing teams protecting the 'brand' - even if the action taken seems to come from the developer or someone connected to the game. At the moment it's all about capturing attention and views.

You might think you are giving critical feedback but all they see is criticism and decide to defend. I've experienced the same with Kunos/505/AC and Turn 10/Forza with even the mildest comparison of their games with other products. Take a look at EA and FIFA if you want to see some real arrogant player takedown behaviour!

We shouldn't be too surprised that people who make games often act like big babies. ;):)

Thanks for the reply.

I don't take it seriously. To me iRacing is just a video game just like any other sim/ game.

Sad to hear that this happens in other communitys. I don't have experience in that. But what I know is that when an employee is represnting a company he/ she should forget his personal emotions and behave himself.

Like others , Don't want their forums filled with negativity

I understand when a forum doesn't want negativity.

But in iRacing case they create negativity even with positive and polite people like me. The stories are non stop. This (if my claims are true and honest), is a threat not to iRacing reputation but also to the whole hobby of gaming/ sim racing.

The biggest criticism levelled at iRacing from pros (in fact at all sims) is that its too hard compared to real life as the tyres offer no grip or just simply not enough grip...

Its not really a bad problem to have when you think about it...

Far worse if pro drivers were all saying sim racing is too easy compared to real life...

I am glad finally pros are saying it as that way devs SHOULD stop listening to the vocal ones who shout about "grip = arcade..."

Hearing Button and Montoya talk of RF2 being more stressful than real racing as they just are constantly struggling to keep the car from spinning compared to real life is very refreshing, to get that message HOPEFULLY to people who think the opposite..

Button has really shone in his sim racing, really serious about it and says he is loving it.

Truth is, if these racers never had the money or chances to race for real..they would all be doing sim racing...like us...

Your last sentence, is VERY VERY TRUE.

My parentes opressed my passion in cars since the age of three maybe.

When I draw a car my Mother used to turn her face away refusing to see the work I am showing her.

I come from a community where they only think that a doctor is a good job. (Unluckily I'm just a pharmacist).

But back to the topic.

It's hard to give percentages, but let's say that the level of reality in sim racing is 1% of real racing. (Very long explantion here there is no room to type everything). But I would push my hardest to see simracing becomes 2% real. If IRL is slippy the sim should be slippy, if slidy the sim should be slidy... etc

So it's not (never) (ever) about me complaining it's hard to drive or not grippy enough (where did you bring this from who told you that?).

Your last sentence, is VERY VERY TRUE.

My parentes opressed my passion in cars since the age of three maybe.

When I draw a car my Mother used to turn her face away refusing to see the work I am showing her.

I come from a community where they only think that a doctor is a good job. (Unluckily I'm just a pharmacist).

But back to the topic.

It's hard to give percentages, but let's say that the level of reality in sim racing is 1% of real racing. (Very long explantion here there is no room to type everything). But I would push my hardest to see simracing becomes 2% real. If IRL is slippy the sim should be slippy, if slidy the sim should be slidy... etc

So it's not (never) (ever) about me complaining it's hard to drive or not grippy enough (where did you bring this from who told you that?).

I watched some of your vid.It is difficult to read but I think your forum ban is more due to matters around privacy & other members rather than you being critical of the tire model.You should value your own privacy & the privacy of others.Your own email appears in this vid!

Guys could we maybe get back on topic? I thought this thread was about eSports happening this week and thought: wow x new posts! But, no, it's a disgruntled chap's homestory. I'm not saying it may not be a story worth telling, but why in this thread?

I watched some of your vid.It is difficult to read but I think your forum ban is more due to matters around privacy & other members rather than you being critical of the tire model.You should value your own privacy & the privacy of others.Your own email appears in this vid!

Thanks.

But where did you invent this idea from?

While I'm enjoying the sim racing events, I can't get over the fact that the message they're sending out is that you need a €$£2 - 3 thousand rig to take part when honestly you don't, and I think that could be quite off putting for motorsports fans, who in the light of the world situation at the moment, are turning to watching sim racing and are thinking maybe they could get into it

OK, admittedly these are guys that are pro sim racers and pro drivers, and I suspect that a few of the rigs have been sponsored, which is fair enough, but I do think that these events should point out that there are more affordable ways to get into this hobby, not only in terms of cash, but also in terms of space.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back