Esports Minute | A Round-Up Of Sim Racing Esports Action

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Another week of lockdown, another week of high quality esports action is about to take place.

With motorsport still a distant memory, our virtual world continues to gather pace within the mainstream consciousness. With so much happening, we try and gather together a little roundup of some of the key events taking place over the course of the week to come.

I've come to the conclusion that so much is happening, in such varied places, that it is pretty much impossible for me to get any sort of comprehensive summary together that catches all the things that are happening at any one time. As such, I've decided to turn over the keys to our community members, and ask for you to pop in the comments any information about ones I've missed!

That said, he's a quick and dirty overview of some of the events scheduled for the immediate future:

I'm sure plenty more is happening in the week ahead too - feel free to let us know about any good entertainment in the comments section, and I'll be sure to add them to the list for future roundup articles.

Stay safe, stay inside, stay sim racing!

Esports minute pic.png

Last edited:
Thanks for that!

I just shared it with some of my motorhead friends who are starting to watch online sim racing.

One of them recently approached me about building a rig, so it's having an effect.

I notice that almost everything sim racing related is sold out right now, so I suspect there will be a pretty big surge in sim racers because of this.

Had a couple of times wrongly recorded and have since updated the OP, so be sure to let your mates know!

Thanks, I updated my post to them.

FYI, one of them has been racing real cars for many years and he now has more respect for sim racing. A few of them have said they would like to have a rig, but not the guy who is still racing IRL. He still considers the danger and potential for mechanical failures a critical part of racing.

don't know if this counts as "the week ahead", but it's definitely on the horizon:
SRO ACC Round 2 - Total 24 Hours of Spa - 10 May

plus the iRacing broadcast schedule from April 27th to May 3rd

Friday, 6PM ET, iRacing.com/live
Subaru iRX All-Star Invitational presented by Yokohama at Lucas Oil Raceway

Saturday, 10AM ET, iRacing.com/live
Porsche TAG Heuer Esports Supercup at Zandvoort

Saturday, 2:30PM ET, NBCSN
IndyCar iRacing Challenge at Indianapolis

Saturday, 8PM ET, eNASCAR.com/live
eNASCAR Saturday Night Thunder at Talladega

Sunday, 1PM ET, FOX/FS1
eNASCAR iRacing Pro Invitational Series at Dover

Vettel is in for The Race, Legends - the action is starting now, the Legends are up in the 3rd race.

Vettel in the same race as Jason Plato is something I never expected to see, could be very entertaining! :)

Yes. The Race event this evening was fantastic. I was laughing all the way through, plus some close, exciting finishes.

The first time I've got to the end of an esports event and really not wanted it to be over.

If you didn't catch the Indycar iRacing last night this is another absolute must-watch, especially the final 3 laps from around 1:13.20, no spoilers just watch and see! The whole race is watchable - great to see such a clean start but most of the middle can be skipped through without missing much if you're short on time.

I've got to say I'm impressed with the iRacing coverage and the ability they have to keep up with the action, good camera views etc. Though neither iRacing nor Indycar is my usual cuppa this was a good watch.

The Race RF2 coverage has improved hugely much less chat, more action, much better race camera work and screen in screen use to capture the action.

Credit, where it's due the iRacing races, have been by far the best produced so far.

That I'm afraid, for me. leaves the virtual F1 lagging well behind in both gameplay, connection issues and coverage.

it's surprisingly fun and intense when you play it online at iRacing, even for someone who does not follow the real life "turn left" scene, like me. I think I've already done a dozen or so seasons of the Indycar fixed setup series, very enjoyable indeed once you get past 1,500 iRating and the worst participants are getting fewer and further between. Especially the week we do Indy brings out huge crowds of players and thus very tightly bunched grids, excellent fun!

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 230 14.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 159 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 156 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 117 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 223 14.3%