Esotic's Just for Chat

Apps Esotic's Just for Chat V1.14

Login or Register an account to download this content
Looks good, thanks man. Just an idea: Have it go invisible after certain amount of time when mouse pointer is not hovering over the bar or the chat window. And here's the cool idea, have 0-10 steps of transparency/opacity (which ever is the right word hehe) that the user can set that makes the bar+chat window go either fully transparent when not used (apart from if a message comes which then it will come full opacity automatically) or not fully transparent but almost so its still visible but not in the way.

Looks good, thanks man. Just an idea: Have it go invisible after certain amount of time when mouse pointer is not hovering over the bar or the chat window. And here's the cool idea, have 0-10 steps of transparency/opacity (which ever is the right word hehe) that the user can set that makes the bar+chat window go either fully transparent when not used (apart from if a message comes which then it will come full opacity automatically) or not fully transparent but almost so its still visible but not in the way.

It's almost like you've hacked my ToDo list!

I've been somewhat fixated lately on "hiding" apps when they are not needed. I'm not sure how Kunos is detecting when you "mouse over" an app in AC, so I need to track down some code that does that. Does anyone know of an add-on app that does this (reacts to a mouse-over event)?

Another thought I've had lately is something very much like "0-10 steps", but not just transparency. AC has the CTRL-H option where you can turn all your apps on and off. What I'd like to do is create steps in between fully on and fully off. In many computer systems there's a notion of "verbosity", which basically means "how much data am I showing you". There are times that I wish I could leave my apps on screen, but just reduce the amount of info they are presenting. Let's take the performance delta as an example. It would be nice if I could "turn it down" to stop showing me the live delta and just show me a sector delta while continuing to let me know when I've gone off track and what my final lap time is. Or maybe I'd like to just see my final lap time and when I go off-track, but no sector times. I'd also like all my apps to react to this "verbosity setting" simultaneously, as would be relevant for each one. Or that may be thinking "a little too big". :)

But yeah, short answer is that's in my plan, just not sure when I'll get around to something like you're suggesting (my time for fun coding is unfortunately limited).

Cheers,

Esotic

It's almost like you've hacked my ToDo list!

I've been somewhat fixated lately on "hiding" apps when they are not needed. I'm not sure how Kunos is detecting when you "mouse over" an app in AC, so I need to track down some code that does that. Does anyone know of an add-on app that does this (reacts to a mouse-over event)?

Another thought I've had lately is something very much like "0-10 steps", but not just transparency. AC has the CTRL-H option where you can turn all your apps on and off. What I'd like to do is create steps in between fully on and fully off. In many computer systems there's a notion of "verbosity", which basically means "how much data am I showing you". There are times that I wish I could leave my apps on screen, but just reduce the amount of info they are presenting. Let's take the performance delta as an example. It would be nice if I could "turn it down" to stop showing me the live delta and just show me a sector delta while continuing to let me know when I've gone off track and what my final lap time is. Or maybe I'd like to just see my final lap time and when I go off-track, but no sector times. I'd also like all my apps to react to this "verbosity setting" simultaneously, as would be relevant for each one. Or that may be thinking "a little too big". :)

But yeah, short answer is that's in my plan, just not sure when I'll get around to something like you're suggesting (my time for fun coding is unfortunately limited).

Cheers,

Esotic
Ah gotcha on the mouse over activation part. When you mention it i dont actually remember an app that does that... But maybe a way to just dim it semi transparent and make it "pop out" opacity when a message comes in to call for attention to the driver. Then goes back to semi transparent again.

BTW do you have to click on the app to write or does it detect keyboard input whenever? In that case it could pop back to full opacity as you write - or click on either the bar or the chat window and then write. I guess its the latter.

Anyway, you're doing a great job making the sim better. Cheers bud. :)

The JfC text entry field should retain focus until you click somewhere not in the main window. Clicking anywhere in the main JfC window should move focus back to the text entry field.

Cheers,

Esotic

Hi, I was pointed to this app today, but haven't used it yet.
One question about the admin password:
I use Content Manager and this automaticly connects me so I'm admin already once I have joined the server and use admintools to actually warn and kick drivers.
Is it still necessary then to set it in this app?

@schnipp At this time the app is looking for a "You are admin" message to be sent to you by the server before enabling the restart and next session buttons. If you are not getting that message then you'd need to enter the admin password in the INI and them also hit the enable admin button once in the session. I have content manager, so I can look into this if it's not already working.

Hi again,
about the quick messages of JFC Bang, can those be changed in a session or only by editing the 'Just For Chat.py' file?

Is there a limit for 5 presets of can it more or less?
And what is the '+' for, it doesn't do anything.

@schnipp The + is just a "grab handle", so you can move the app around without clicking any buttons. At this point you'd need to edit the .PY file to change/add messages. I have plans to allow for loading/customizing/adding messages from the INI, but that will take some coding to get done (no promises on when). If you're comfortable with editing python feel free to take a stab at that. :)

I personally like the answer with 65 upvotes on this page:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/335695/lists-in-configparser

So each "message" would need button width, Label text, and messages contents specified in a string that can be split into a tuple.

[messages]
message1 = 50|Sorry|Sorry! :(
message2 = 60|Thanks|Thanks!
etc...

My ToDo list is always changing, and my time is always limited, but I think my next task is to add an option to the Fuel Usage app to help calculate "fuel to add" in the new Pit Menu for an adjustable number of laps, or the remainder of the race (whichever is less). I also have a few small updates on some of the other apps I need to release (perf delta, shift light, etc).

Cheers,

Esotic

@schnipp I would not want to suggest that this will be a completely straight-forward edit. The part I haven't fully wrapped by brain around is how to mange the callback from the buttons. Right now each button has it's own "handler procedure". If the messages are loaded dynamically I'm guess there will be one handler routine that needs to know which button was pushed and then lookup which message to send (from a stored dictionary or list or something that was populated from the INI).

Admin buttons have special logic and may need to keep their individual callback routines. If you have any questions about the code feel free to post here to PM me.

Inch by inch, everything's a cinch. :)

Good Luck!

Esotic

OK, most of the Win10 stuff is done.

I just gave it a go with 1.4, seems to work with admin password set in Content Manager.

If I set the admin password in the JfC.ini then the three buttons for admins are there, restart session and next session work without clicking 'enable admin'.

If I don't set the admin password in the JfC.ini the three buttons are missing.

@TheSosunser There's an app called "Courtesy" (written by Minolin) that does exactly what you are suggesting (and was probably responsible for the JfC Bang! being suggested). I'm not opposed to writing that logic into my code, and I can put the request on my ToDo list, but there's no promise about how quickly that will get done, but it should also be no big deal to just then them both at the same time. :)

http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/courtesy-hotkey-chat-app.22479/

Cheers,

Esotic

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 262 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 173 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 169 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 128 7.5%