Ermin praises iRacing tyre model, physics, criticizes FFB update rate

Shovas

Premium
Ermin Hamidovic tries iRacing for the first time and talks about his impressions about the driving and handling.

I couldn't possibly see how he could praise the tyre model and physics as a 'hybrid of ams2 and rf2' but after taking out a few different cars, particularly new releases, and cars I don't usually like, I think I can understand where he's coming from.

I give Ermin the benefit of the doubt because he seems to thoroughly understand from experience what a tire should be doing and when and he understands how physical models just tend to provide a more realistic 'dynamically responding' experience while driving.

The tyre model really is informative except, as he admits, right up until it isn't: Meaning the slip angle and beyond. It just goes dumb and uninformative through corners (and it's not clipping) on a number of cars I want (Mazda MX5, BMW M4 GT4) to like but I have to admit on some cars there is some information coming through (Ferrari 488 GTE, Porsche 911 RSR).

While I give him the benefit for now, I will say since he's brand new to iRacing it might just be the novelty of it all which may eventually wear off. Familiarity breeding contempt and all that.

Where do you feel iRacing's strengths and weaknesses are?

Last edited:
As far as my knowledge goes, Ermin has just like most of us, no real experience on track. He did a race taxi on the Nurburgring and owns a sports car (BMW M2). Therefore I look at his content as entertaining but not a source of information ( unlike sim racing garage or driver61).

As much as I like content that is informative and especially content about sim racing I do keep in mind most of the content creators have some sort of agenda. For example a review of some sorts is interesting, but if you check Ermin, Jardier, boosted media, you’ll see that they all post affiliated links to products.
Besides there seems to be no disclaimers when a content creator is sponsored to tell something about a product.

Ermin makes a lot of entertaining content, however the informative value should be taken with a pinch of salt.

As far as my knowledge goes, Ermin has just like most of us, no real experience on track. He did a race taxi on the Nurburgring and owns a sports car (BMW M2). Therefore I look at his content as entertaining but not a source of information ( unlike sim racing garage or driver61).
I thought I recalled him talking a lot about his real life rally experience in many of his earlier videos?

He gets views by drama. He made his name by pissing of the rf2 crowd, he's an idiot who loves the sound of his own voice.
He spent a year or more singing its praises but then came around to its shortcomings. I think we all go through the same thing. We all eventually learn the shortcomings of our favourite sims.

At the point he did criticize rF2 he then moved to ACC and talked it up too but in this latest iRacing video I noticed he called ACC "broken" in some ways.

You have to give him credit. He does tend to call it like it is.

I suspect he'll learn the shortcomings of iRacing soon enough, as well, and change his tone a little bit.

Jimmy just listed iRacing as his #1 choice of the top 5.

He has said that iRacing's tire model has historically put him off, but that he thinks that they have finally nailed it and he is now actually racing real cars.

FWIW I've been very surprised at how recoverable slides have become in many cars.

Last edited:
Honestly I think Jimmy's review pretty well nailed it!

He mentioned that iRacing is finally becoming what he always thought it had the potential to be and I think he is right!

I'm surprised, but I'm actually getting some use out of the AI racing and it's great when I have visitors over. I don't need to drop them in something else just to experience my rig. They can get the feel of a race without impacting my ratings.

I'm in iRacing for everything except Rally when I pull out DR 2.0.

The new iRacing tire model really does feel very good.

The FFB with the cloud based SC 2 Pro iRacing profiles feels very good to me. Hamidovic is running a Fanatec DD system and I don't know how good the filters are for it comparatively speaking. Maybe it doesn't handle the filtering reconstruction like the SC2 does and the lower update rate is something you can feel, but I can't feel any issue with it.

iRacing just works well with EVERYTHING!

I'm running
SimHub with some awesome tactile effects.
SimXperience G-Belt
True Drive SC2 Pro
NLR motion software with NLRv3 - seat mover
VRS
Trading Paints

The motion, tactile, FFB, seatbelt tightening and VR all work great together. iRacing feels very predictable and the experience is overall excellent.

I admit it's a lot better these days, especially on newer, fully up-to-date cars, but when really pushing the lack of lateral force and road feel information drives me crazy to the point that it's still disappointing to drive

The contrast is still rF2 where it's a *joy* to drive even if other things about rF2 aren't a joy.

iRacing could have that joy of driving feeling but it doesn't yet for me.

I admit it's a lot better these days, especially on newer, fully up-to-date cars, but when really pushing the lack of lateral force and road feel information drives me crazy to the point that it's still disappointing to drive

The contrast is still rF2 where it's a *joy* to drive even if other things about rF2 aren't a joy.

iRacing could have that joy of driving feeling but it doesn't yet for me.

iRacing has improved dramatically over the past few years. I was away from SimRacing after a couple of years and I've noticed a big improvement and not just with iRacing but with Sim Commander too.

For example I stumbled across the "Lateral G" effect in Sim Commander and it's a revelation when combined with the cloud tuning feature. So much so that yesterday I unwittingly jumped into iRacing with Sim Commander switched off and the difference was stark, complete lack of detail mid corner.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 349 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 243 10.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 241 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%
  • < 5 years