Ericsson Tests 2019 Alfa Romeo F1 Car in Austria

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Marcus Ericsson Alfa Romeo Test.jpg

Now IndyCar star and former Sauber F1 driver Marcus Ericsson has a taste of 2019 spec Formula One machinery earlier today.

Called up to the now rebranded Alfa Romeo Racing Formula One team on Tuesday in Austria, Ericsson had his first taste of modern Grand Prix machinery since walking away from the series at the end of 2018, performing testing duties with the Swiss squad as Pirelli look to put yet more miles on their proposed 2020 specification rubber at the Red Bull Ring.

Since walking away from the sport last season, Ericsson has gone on to forge himself a solid reputation in the #7 Schmidt Peterson Motorsports-Honda IndyCar team, often matching his more experienced teammate James Hinchcliffe, already bagging a podium finish in his debut season in the category.

Despite getting back behind the wheel of a Formula One car today, Ericsson remains firmly committed to his IndyCar season, and with no further plans to gain seat time with his former team this year, it remains unlikely that we will see the likeable Swedish driver back at the pinnacle of the sport this season.

“Obviously my main focus this year is on the IndyCar programme, but I get the chance to help the Alfa team in any way" said Ericsson of the test. "Obviously it will be a Pirelli test, so it’s more for the tyres, but still if I can give some feedback on how the car feels, and how I feel about the car, that would obviously be helpful for the team as well, to get another input.

“They know my feedback and the way I’ve been working in the past, so I think they’re still going to be interested in my feedback about how the car behaves, and what I think can be improved.”
Marcus Ericsson spent five seasons in Formula One for the Caterham and Sauber teams, competing in 97 Grand Prix and scoring a best result of eighth place on his way to amassing a total of 18 points.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
Interesting development, he is helping the team or auditioning for a return based on a nice result in IndyCar? Good for him, probably not so good for Kimi or Gio?

Interesting development, he is helping the team or auditioning for a return based on a nice result in IndyCar? Good for him, probably not so good for Kimi or Gio?
Really??? he raced 4 years with Sauber and amassed 18 points....Kimi's been in the car for 9 races this year and got 21 so far......and Gio's prolly not going anywhere soon unless Ferrari drops him

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 84 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 167 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 320 27.9%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 449 39.2%