Engine Freeze, Unfrozen

energy2.jpg

At last, according to autosport, the manufacturers will be allowed to develop their engines
during the 2015 season. That is definitely good news for Ferrari and Renault, although
Mercedes-Benz is not exactly gonna sit back and relax, thus allowing the others to catch up.
Unfortunately, according to the article Honda will not be allowed to develop their engine after
February 28, as they are a new team:(. For extra info check out the link: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117259?source=mostpopular

So that rules out Caterham returning, will probably cause Lotus massive financial problems, as well as Force India. It'll probably hurt Williams a bit as well.

All because the engine manufacturers will have to pass the cost of this continuous development on to their customers.

I know Mercedes were using cost as their 'argument' for not wanting the unfreeze (when really it was to stop people catching up) but it is a good argument.
Unfreeze increases costs at a time when costs are already higher than every team, bar 4 can afford.

They still need to stay within the 32 allocated tokens for the season, though. So the development will still be limited, and there will be no spending war, it will just be escalated slightly.

And Mercedes will be able to spend the same 32 tokens, so assuming they develop at the same pace as the other teams, which is more than likely, the others will still be behind by about the same margin all through the year.

32 token will not be enough to close gap to Mercedes, the changes required for Renault and Ferrari power units are greater. Honda need to have engine at the same standard as Mercedes as soon as they start 2015. this I doubt will happen, but I do expect them to be the standard of the others.
Mercedes also have 32 tokens and stated at the end of last season they had already found 60bhp more without even using any token!.
2015 will be the same, Mercedes - Lewis v Nico part 2.
changes in 2016 will level the engines for all teams, or if 2015 is poor I see hybrid technology going and v6 twin turbo engines being in place.

I don't understand why Honda are crying so much.
The other 3 companies couldn't develop much in 2014, which was their first year.
So why should Honda be allowed more development in their first year?
Totally fair in my opinion.

They've already had a whole season of monitoring the performance of the other 3 and probably picking up little snips of info from the McLaren garage too.

If Honda can't develop in 2015, why can't they use 5 PUs like in 2014 rules. Also, as this is 2015 rules...and Mercedes, Renault, Ferrari and Honda are ALL in the 2015 season, why don't the rules apply to all?

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 114 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 155 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 293 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 423 39.7%