Engine dies after manual start

After pressing and holding the Ignition button and simultaneously pressing the Start button, the engine fires up. I release the Start and Ignition buttons and the engine dies.
It's easy enough to implement the Auto Ignition feature but I would rather start manually.
Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
Thanks.

Best guess: the long hold on the ignition button, with start pressed and released, means that it turns off the ignition when you release it. I'd try releasing ignition before hitting start.
Unfortunately that doesn't work. As soon as you release the Ignition button the engine dies. I have to hold down the Ignition button thru the whole process or the engine won't fire up and stay running.

Don't know about having to hold the ignition button, but the manual start is certainly kinda weird, the game is blocking certain inputs at certain times, and also stalling is really easy IMO.

This is what seems to work for me:

- Press ignition (just press, don't hold it). In cockpit view, you see the driver flick the ignition switch on.
- Clutch in.
- Hold engine start button for a short while (just pressing it doesn't work, and holding it for longer also seems to cause issues).
- The engine should start and keep running (look at rpm meter for confirmation, it can be hard to hear).
- Note that at this point, the game is blocking the throttle, even though you are in neutral and/or have clutch in. So you can't rev the engine, it won't respond to your input. This was the part that confused me a lot in the beginning, because it can seem like your engine isn't running (because it isn't responding to throttle and you can barely hear it over the other cars), but at the same time, the rpm meter shows you it *is* running.
- Once you're told to go, the game unblocks your inputs. Give it a full throttle, shift into 1st and then dump the clutch.
- The car will start to move very awkwardly while the game interferes with the clutch and throttle controls. Keep the throttle pedal floored during this part. If you try to have a more controlled and smooth (and less awkward) start, you will likely stall thanks to the game messing up with your throttle/clutch input.
- Only when the car is moving more or less smoothly, ease off the throttle and hope you don't rear-end the car in front as it randomly brake checks you.
- To make the manual start a bit more fun, shortly before going green, the game will once again mess with your throttle/clutch inputs to slow down the car almost to a stop and also almost stall the car again, so watch out.
- Once the race goes green, you now finally have full control.

I finally found a workaround.....

I mapped the Ignition and Start buttons to my DSD button box and the start procedure works properly.
My wheel is a Sam Maxwell F1 and for some reason if I release the Ign switch the engine won't fire.

Now, if I can figure out why the bite point of my clutch pedal doesn't disengage until the pedal is almost fully released...

Don't know about having to hold the ignition button, but the manual start is certainly kinda weird, the game is blocking certain inputs at certain times, and also stalling is really easy IMO.
Agreed. I have the start/ignition stuff all at default (i.e. automatic) but yet I keep having problems, mainly in single-player mode or career, with the game just plain not starting the engine for me for like 10+ seconds. Annoying af. I am trying to be patient cos it's still a bit new, but heck they need to smooth off a few more of those rough edges rather soon or I'll take another sabbatical from it ;)

Some cars need the clutch when standing, some do not.

There is an autoclutch function in the driver helpers. If you don't have a clutch pedal I think it won't do much damage to the experience. It just makes the cars that would need the clutch while standing behave like the cars that do have autoclutch. It's not that you use the clutch while actually moving in either car, so realism shouldn't be affected much.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 143 13.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 105 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 96 9.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 73 7.0%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 144 13.8%