Engine damage

Ramon van Rijn

RaceDepartment Co-Founder
Premium
1 or 2 years ago when the Lotus 79 was released, there was a change where you blew up the engine very easily. By revving slightly over 11k the engine blew. Also fast gearing back and thus high revs also blew the engine.
There was an option to set it back to the old model (not sure if it was in an ini file or within the game-engine).

I was searching for this option again and could not find it anymore. Besides some cars restrict me to downshift quickly with the seq-shifter, i cannot blow the engine (uh so it seems).

Was this thing changed again by iRacing because it was too difficult or so? Or am I overlooking something? Or was it just a nightmare and am I talking rubbish? (as always)

Thanks for clearing it up :)

I believe it was changed, because although the Lotus 79 had a limiter, it was very unreliable, so it typically wasn't used. When originally released on iRacing it was released without it, but many drivers were blowing engines with over revs, so they gave in and installed a limiter. Some hated, that they did that, but I'm pretty sure that's how it happened. Not sure if anythings changed. You could ask on the Lotus 79 forum.

I wish they would keep things as real as possible. That would teach people how they would have to drive in real life. I mean everyone states that this is the most real "sim" to date yet they do things like this that teaches bad and unrealistic driving habits.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 93 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 127 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 172 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 341 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 471 39.0%