Enable Cockpit movement!!

Msportdan

@Simberia
Has anyone noticed the key binds to cockpit movement....!!!
20t4cpf.jpg

Set them to plus and minus, then in game adjust it to 100 (60 is imo best)

Last edited:
No, it is focusing your eyes to some point, as it is in real life when you race. So, no picture shaking and bouncing (what is completely wrong presentation of what is going on when you drive), everything is moving around you, except your head is staying focused, if I can say this way. Brilliant!

Ah ok, so it's not lock-to-horizon but works on a similar principle by locking to a point ahead. Got it. Actually I prefer the idea of this rather than LTH. Sounds more natural, as you said. The neck acts as a damper so the drivers view shouldn't bounce around 1:1 with the car. I will definitely try this, thanks.

I always run with cockpit movement at zero and don't normally suffer the effects of the horizon bouncing up and down, but yesterday I was running a DTM race at Brands Hatch (a bumpy track) and was actually getting a headache from all the movement.

Your explanation is much better and I will never know, why cockpit with all environment is moving so unnaturaly in every racing game, so modders have to make some sort of "real head motion" which is then used by ... maybe 80% of all drivers (I know leagues, where this percentage is 100%)? But OK, for every "why" there is at least one "because" :)

Reduce. Simply said: horizon stays level, car moves around.
It is more subtle than that though.
Okay, so I tried it on one car: the RUF RT12R. I edited as per your instructions and things are much better. Thank you! No more nausea. I only have two questions:

1. Do I have to do this to each car individually? It seems that is the case.
2. What do those values actually mean? You say pitch, yaw, roll?

Yep, @VeloW said in his post that it has to be done for all cars which is sadly the case. There is no global setting.

This does beg the question: if lock to horizon can be achieved with a simple text file edit then why aren't pitch, yaw and roll sliders in the UI already?

Thanks guys, glad I could help some fellow racers.

SnappyDEe, yes: pitch, yaw, roll (rotating around x,y,z axis)
pitch because rotating on x-axis.... oh wait I made a picture once ;P

MCV_axes.png

Increasing the values makes the movement less!

I guess it works like this: if the orientation rate is high, the camera moves immediately. If lower, there is a delay and the camera moves later - you see the car move around you.
(except when 0, then the setting is turned off in R3E obviously)

Useful numbers seem around 5, above 50 there is hardly any movement anymore.

I usually do a search and replace in all cam files at once. That will mess up the other views but I don't use those anyway. There is a program called textcrawler or something that can do it more specific.

Yep I did :)
Here is something I discovered and have been using for years in various sims.

open 'cockpit_driver_view.xml' or 'cockpit_driver_view_triple.xml' in cars/carname/cameras folder in a text editor

find this:
<orientationSpeed type="Vector">{0.00000000 0.00000000 0.00000000}</orientationSpeed>

and replace the values with 10.00000000 50.00000000 2.00000000 (pitch, yaw, roll)

have to do that for all cars!
------------
Hi Msportdan, we seem to have the same wish for better car movement haha!

VeloW, Just want to say thank you for sharing this. I have mentioned in several threads my needs for changing what vibrates but obviously not everyone feels the same or feels the effects of such movement. In titles such as AC and rF2 I've had great results with RealHeadMotion but no joy in R3E.

In R3E there were a couple of tracks (Zolder comes to mine) that I simply could not tolerate and of course, the faster the car, the more rapid the bouncing horizon becomes.

This behavior really effects me and sadly limits my ability to play certain titles so thanks again for finding the 'magic' code that greatly improves the sim for me and places it back in my rotation.:geek:

Bailey

Yesterday I fiddled with the camera movement settings and I totally agree: it is much better when you increase the camera movement. Default setting is 10 I think, which I find way too low. Set it at least at 30, maybe even higher as Włodek Traczyk suggests. If you leave it at default 10 you get a 'visually floating feeling'. Highly recommended to increase it.

The camera movement keys are not really working the same way as this fix as it does not stabilize the horizon. The only problem I have found is that there is one car that has a different cam setup and that is the 2015 DTM BMW m4. For some odd reason this fix does not seem to apply as the rest of the cars.
This is actually an old fix since rF1. I also use it on GSCE (as it's the same physics engine).

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 209 14.1%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 153 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 149 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 113 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 213 14.4%